WWYD -- Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Elliott, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    What Would You Do?

    My fiancee has this old Centurion Sports bike that she's having more darn fun riding. It's been
    modified to be more comfortable for her, a small woman with narrow shoulders and short arms. Kind of
    like a little T Rex in that regard.

    With flat bars and short-reach levers, riding and braking are working for her. But the old downtube
    friction shifing is awkward and clunky. There's not a lot of room on the bars for any shifters I
    can think of.

    But I bet the folks on this forum will have some Mite-E-Fine ideas about how to make some
    improvements.

    Please see http://www.jmscrapbook.com/2003/CenturionBB.html

    for a photo and a description of the various relevant bits on the bike.

    Thanks!

    MikeE

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >What Would You Do? My fiancee has this old Centurion Sports bike that she's having more darn fun
    >riding. It's been modified to be more comfortable for her, a small woman with narrow shoulders and
    >short arms. Kind of like a little T Rex in that regard. With flat bars and short-reach levers,
    >riding and braking are working for her. But the old downtube friction shifing is awkward and
    >clunky. There's not a lot of room on the bars for any shifters I can think of. But I bet the folks
    >on this forum will have some Mite-E-Fine ideas about how to make some improvements. Please see
    >http://www.jmscrapbook.com/2003/CenturionBB.html for a photo and a description of the various
    >relevant bits on the bike.

    You could do shimano RF+ or gripshift. RF+ pods would require no modification to the current setup
    and would work with the current drivetrain. Gripshift would require cutting the grips a bit to fit.
    Not that difficult to do and should not be too pricy either.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:36:33 -0500, Mike Elliott wrote:

    > What Would You Do?
    >
    > My fiancee has this old Centurion Sports bike that she's having more darn fun riding. It's been
    > modified to be more comfortable for her, a small woman with narrow shoulders and short arms. Kind
    > of like a little T Rex in that regard.

    Watch those comments or she'll be your x-fiancee.

    > With flat bars and short-reach levers, riding and braking are working for her. But the old
    > downtube friction shifing is awkward and clunky. There's not a lot of room on the bars for any
    > shifters I can think of.

    Why not use Shimano Rapid-Fire shifters/levers? That's what I put on my wife's road bike when she
    insisted on upright bars. The rear will shift perfectly as long as you match the number of gears.
    The front will not be perfect, but you can set the center position first, then use the limit stops
    on the derailleur to adjust the other two. The mountain-bike front shifters pull more per click than
    road ones, but it works OK this way for her. With her weird front shifter maybe the situation will
    be even better.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
    something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
    and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>What Would You Do? My fiancee has this old Centurion Sports bike that she's having more darn fun
    >>riding. It's been modified to be more comfortable for her, a small woman with narrow shoulders and
    >>short arms. Kind of like a little T Rex in that regard. With flat bars and short-reach levers,
    >>riding and braking are working for her. But the old downtube friction shifing is awkward and
    >>clunky. There's not a lot of room on the bars for any shifters I can think of. But I bet the folks
    >>on this forum will have some Mite-E-Fine ideas about how to make some improvements. Please see
    >>http://www.jmscrapbook.com/2003/CenturionBB.html for a photo and a description of the various
    >>relevant bits on the bike.
    >

    > You could do shimano RF+ or gripshift. RF+ pods would require no modification to the current setup
    > and would work with the current drivetrain. Gripshift would require cutting the grips a bit to
    > fit. Not that difficult to do and should not be too pricy either.

    I'd go thumbshifters. Shouldn't be too hard finding some NOS XT or Suntour
    XC-Pro thumbies. Will the RF or Gripshift index properly with that 5 spd?

    Greg

  5. On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:54:58 -0500, G.T. wrote:

    > XC-Pro thumbies. Will the RF or Gripshift index properly with that 5 spd?

    I didn't notice the bit about the 5-speed. But if she has 130mm rear spacing, you can put in a
    cassette road hub, and give her 9-speed in the bargain for not very much money, if you can re-build
    her wheel.

    That might be enough to make up for the t-rex crack.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

  6. Mike Elliott

    Mike Elliott Guest

    > Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >>What Would You Do? My fiancee has this old Centurion Sports bike that she's having more darn fun
    > >>riding. It's been modified to be more comfortable for her, a small woman with narrow shoulders
    > >>and short arms. Kind of like a little T Rex in that regard. With flat bars and short-reach
    > >>levers, riding and braking are working for her. But the old downtube friction shifing is awkward
    > >>and clunky. There's not a lot of room on the bars for any shifters I can think of. But I bet the
    > >>folks on this forum will have some Mite-E-Fine ideas about how to make some improvements. Please
    > >>see http://www.jmscrapbook.com/2003/CenturionBB.html for a photo and a description of the
    > >>various relevant bits on the bike.
    > >

    > > You could do shimano RF+ or gripshift. RF+ pods would require no modification to the current
    > > setup and would work with the current drivetrain. Gripshift would require cutting the grips a
    > > bit to fit. Not that difficult to do and should not be too pricy either.
    >
    > I'd go thumbshifters. Shouldn't be too hard finding some NOS XT or Suntour
    > XC-Pro thumbies. Will the RF or Gripshift index properly with that 5 spd?

    Can anyone suggest a source for XT or Suntour XC-Pro thumbshifters? I thought Harris Cyclery might
    have them, but struck out.

    MikeE

  7. On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:39:15 -0500, Mike Elliott wrote:

    > Well, near as I can tell, the RF shifters, like on www.harriscyclery.com, are pretty expensive.

    May be. I got mine for $40 at a swap meet.

    > Looking more closely, her rear spacing is 128mm.

    Close enough. Road rear standard now is 130. That will work fine.

    > Would something like "NOS Grip Shift Twist Grips For Drop Bars $59.95 CX-DT 128 8-speed" work?

    Personally I don't like twist grips. Rapid Fire are much better.

    The price is not too high. That then brings me to converting her
    > rear 5sp to an 8sp -- a good path to take?

    These days, I would go to 9. Price difference is minimal.

    > MikeE "Who knows better than to let her see his comment about the T-Rex thing"

    Unless she reads this newsgroup.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass. _`\(,_ | What are you on?"
    --Lance Armstrong (_)/ (_) |

  8. bobqzzi

    bobqzzi Guest

    On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:40:44 GMT, Mike Elliott
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    >> > In article <[email protected]>,
    >> > [email protected] says...

    >> > You could do shimano RF+ or gripshift. RF+ pods would require no modification to the current
    >> > setup and would work with the current drivetrain. Gripshift would require cutting the grips a
    >> > bit to fit. Not that difficult to do and should not be too pricy either.
    >>
    >> I'd go thumbshifters. Shouldn't be too hard finding some NOS XT or Suntour
    >> XC-Pro thumbies. Will the RF or Gripshift index properly with that 5 spd?
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a source for XT or Suntour XC-Pro thumbshifters? I thought Harris Cyclery might
    >have them, but struck out.
    >
    >MikeE
    There are always some on E-bay