X-country tour shoes/pedal

bbud

Feb 22, 2011
Leaving west coast for east coast in early July. Road raced for 20+ years in cleats, and can't go back to straps, but would like to eliminate packing extra shoes for camp/hiking, etc.

I'm thinking of getting MTB shoes and pedals, but was wondering if anyone had tried this and found a good pairing (shoe and pedal brands).

I'm not planning on doing any off-road during this tour.

thx

I would reconsider the straps. They're far more reliable and it's much easier to fix any issues. Plus, with a full platform pedal, you'll have more foot comfort for the long haul, and pretty much any shoes will work, should you need a new pair along the way in an area with no bike shops. You're touring, not racing, so any aero or efficiency concerns are non-issues.

Jason

Just finished my tour from Oregon to Washington D.C., and thought I'd follow up on my foot experience.

I bought a pair of Specialized shoes, flexible sole, with SPD pedals.

I'd still go with clip ins, as bending over with a loaded bike to tighten or loosen straps is a PITA.

I would, however, opt for stiff-soled MTB shoes. The flexible sole with a small platform pedal had my feet aching after 50-60 miles, and I couldn't wait to get out of them. The walking I did around Yellowstone, Rushmore, et al, wasn't so much that a stiffer soled shoe wouldn't have been uncomfortable.

Heading into Antietam National Battlefield. What a sobering visit!

Tourers heading east from Pennsylvania to D.C. should look up the Great Allegheny Passage, and C&O Towroad. Great 300+ mile trip, basically flat, into D.C. from Pittsburg.

that is a perfectly loaded touring/road bike, very well balanced,
you are looking fit too and with a good riding position,
and nice scenery too.