Xanthan, Guar or ThickenThin?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by taddy, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. taddy

    taddy Guest

    What's the current thinking on these thickeners? Is one preferred over
    the others? I am making stew right now, but would like to have the
    best general-purpose product for future use. Thanks for any info.

    Tags:

  2. taddy wrote:
    > What's the current thinking on these thickeners? Is one preferred over
    > the others? I am making stew right now, but would like to have the
    > best general-purpose product for future use. Thanks for any info.

    I've only used xanathan and it works excellent. I keep some in a salt
    shaker and dispense it as needed. A tiny bit does the trick. I think
    thick/thin is just a blend of 2 or 3 of the popular ones that is priced
    at a big premium. You can find x at most health food stores or
    netrition.com probably has it at a good price.