XC Crank Upgrade

rek

Aug 31, 2002
Hi guys, need a bit of advice here. I'm looking at upgrading the current crankset on my XC bike (I have Coda EX3 cranks on there at the moment) and have narrowed things down to two options, at least in my head.

It must be said I have a little bit of a habit of being hard on my equipment (my technique sucks when it comes to clearing obstructions etc. and my chainrings and rear wheel know this very well, let's say :p )

The 'safe' option in my mind is to get one of the new Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranksets with rings etc. This I can get for AU$390. I know this is going to be light, shift well, be strong "enough", etc.

However, I've been able to source a one-off Blackspire Badger FR crank with Blackspire Super Pro chainrings on the cheap (AU$330.) These will work with my existing Octalink BB and I know that these things are going to be bulletproof. But, they are going to be heavy, probably about 200gm heavier than the XT (taking into account crank, rings and BB.)

What are people's thoughts? I'd leaning towards the Blackspire as I'd prefer durability over light weight, but am not really sure of how much a disadvantage the extra crank weight would be, if at all... then there's the question of Hollowtech II vs. the conventional BB system.

Originally posted by rek
Hi guys, need a bit of advice here. I'm looking at upgrading the current crankset on my XC bike (I have Coda EX3 cranks on there at the moment) and have narrowed things down to two options, at least in my head.

It must be said I have a little bit of a habit of being hard on my equipment (my technique sucks when it comes to clearing obstructions etc. and my chainrings and rear wheel know this very well, let's say :p )

The 'safe' option in my mind is to get one of the new Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranksets with rings etc. This I can get for AU$390. I know this is going to be light, shift well, be strong "enough", etc.

However, I've been able to source a one-off Blackspire Badger FR crank with Blackspire Super Pro chainrings on the cheap (AU$330.) These will work with my existing Octalink BB and I know that these things are going to be bulletproof. But, they are going to be heavy, probably about 200gm heavier than the XT (taking into account crank, rings and BB.)

What are people's thoughts? I'd leaning towards the Blackspire as I'd prefer durability over light weight, but am not really sure of how much a disadvantage the extra crank weight would be, if at all... then there's the question of Hollowtech II vs. the conventional BB system.
How serviceable is the one-off Blackspire Badger FR crank with Blackspire Super Pro chainrings?
I don't think you will notice the 200 grams except on the scale.
I think that Shimano is more available, at least in the USA, for parts and waranty coverage.

XT. You can get them for decent amounts and they last a long time (unless, like in my case, you bang them on ****). The '04 cranks are nice as hell. Performance has '03s on sale very cheap right now. I do suppose however shipping would be insane to the land down under. I'd go XT against most any other option (Race face aside). With the '04 cranks you can order the "built-in" chainring guard, trick. Good luck.

K.

I ended up just getting some replacement Blackspire rings for my current crank to see me through a few months. I need new brake calipers for my road bike, working brakes are more important than shiny new things :)

Also gives me a bit of time to research this whole Hollowtech II thing...

Have you considered Race Face or FSA cranks? Your price for the XT cranks seems VERY high. (They retail at around £80 in the uk, so I would have said $250AU would be a reasonable conversion.

We get screwed with bike part pricing here in Aust. I have only heard good things about the higher end Raceface/FSA stuff which is very thin on the ground here (plus the need to buy a separate ISIS BB.)

Given the favourable exchange rates, I'll probably end up buying a lot from U.S. mail order vendors from now on. I hear that our local customs bureau has a $1000 customs-free threshold on postal items (as opposed to $250 on couriered items, which I thought was the limit for everything)

And as it happens, it appears my CRANK was a little bent, not just my old big ring .. sigh

If you are mail ordering through the states:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CR611A04
ISIS Race Face Evolve XC crankset for $99US (wicked deal).

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CR707A10
03 Shimano XT octa-link crankset for $115US.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12878-100_SHIXC4-3-Parts-56-Cranks/Bolts/Shimano-XT-Crankset-W_-BB-M760.htm
04 Shimano XT through-axle crankset for $249US.

The 04 XT crankset comes with the bottom bracket, if you are going with either of the others, a bottom bracket will run you another $30-40US.

The weight difference between the Race Face (Evolve XC cranks + Race Face SRX bottom bracket) and the 04 Shimano XT is only 35g. The Race Face cranks with the short 108mm spindel is plenty stiff.

Cheers,
Juba

Woah, this thread is back from the dead! :D

I ended up getting a 2003 XT crankset & BB to match for AU$250.

Of course, soon after I got them, I found a place that sells Raceface Turbine LP cranksets at a great price :( ;)

I find chainreactioncycles.co.uk very good price wise and have had no trouble with Aust Customs. They deliver in 7 to 10 days

The Hunter said:
I find chainreactioncycles.co.uk very good price wise and have had no trouble with Aust Customs. They deliver in 7 to 10 days

Chain reaction are the supplier that I generally like to use and I get free delivery being in the UK.

My Felt Trekking Bike came with 175mm arms and steel chainrings, I'm going budget, 170mm Alivio, about $75, hopefully I can use the same BB. :)