XC Fork?

Caher

May 22, 2003
Hi all,
I am looking for a good quality to complement the upgrades I am doing on my bike. This time I want a better fork than the one I have!
My local bike shop has recommended a Rock Shox 2005 Reba Team Air U-Turn & Poploc (because I want lock-up for hill climbing). However when I went onto the Rock Shox site they had this for categorised under “mountain” I want one that suitable for cross country. Is this fork ok for this?
Thanks

What shock do you have now?

I just went from a spring/MCU headshok to an air-sprung oil-damped unit and with just the few minutes I've had to spend on the bike with the new shock I am very happy about the result.

I wouldn't worry so much about the terminology the marketing people use. If the shock has a 2-4" of travel it is fine for cross-country use.

TD

I race a Santa Cruz Blur in XC races up to seven hours long and the fork's ability to be adjusted for differing terrain changes is crucial. The 4" Fox Float worked well, I didn't even need to lock it out on hills 9 miles long. I just changed to a Fox TALAS and it has the ability to change on the fly from 3" to 5" at 3mm increments. Here in Vancouver Island five inches front should be a little faster, but some XC races in other places are much less demanding. The softer I can dial in my suspension, the faster I get. Get the best fork you can afford.

Dave

I have a basement level Marzocchi race (it’s an OEM sold with a Kona) and find it quite heavy and it feels a little like a loose sock. I have just ordered a Rock Shox team with poploc etc.