XC MTB Attire

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by tasdigi, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. tasdigi

    tasdigi New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    What is the appropriate attire for the cross country MTB rider?
    Is Lycra out?

    Tags:

  2. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Wear what you like....if you are comfortable who cares.

    Personally I still wear the lycra gear but others I ride with wear the looser fitting gear.

    Rob

  3. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah I just go the shirts and baggy shorts. Get shutty kmart/target type ones so you don't give a shit about trashing them.

    Or try:
    http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/catalog.htm

    These guys make good stuff.

  4. Joda

    Joda Guest

    I don't wear the lycra stuff but think it's better for cycling then the looser stuff (gets snagged
    occasionally) but I do look cooler :)

    JC

  5. "tasdigi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What is the appropriate attire for the cross country MTB rider?

    Are you racing or riding recreationally? Generally wear what you are comfortable in, but races will
    have a high proportion wearing lycra and road tops.

    > Is Lycra out?

    Not at all. I tend to prefer. A pair of thin lycra knicks are actually as cool as the baggies which
    usually have an inner short anyway, and road tops with their long zip front and rear pockets are
    cool to wear and useful. Don't wear a lycra top, most of them are made of Coolmax now, which is much
    more comfortable but does need to be washed after a day's riding. Ground Effect have good tops made
    from their Intercool fabricwhich are a bit less prone to getting smelly.

    Riders in my club www.mbtc.org.au tend to be split about 60/40 between lycra and baggy gear on
    our MTB rides. Knicks are by far the most common shorts on our rides overall, even amongst the
    old codgers.

    Cheers Peter

  6. troyq

    troyq New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    I don't lycra is out by any stretch - if you turn up to any XC race they would probably be in the majority but I think it all depends on the type of riding you do...

    If you stack often (as we all tend to do when riding new tracks, going fast or riding downhill courses) then you will be spitting chips (and hopefully not teeth) at the newly acquired holes in your $100 lycra nicks....

    However if you're out for just a ride don't plan on doing anything too difficult then wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

  7. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    I usually just wear boardshorts and any shirt I can find on my XC rides. Some other guys I ride with wear lycra knicks and etc but they ride cannondales and are elite-class XCers for the most part. (even some roadies out for a XC bash...yes on XC bikes)

    Boardies are good; they dry quickly (sweat and rain) and are comfortable (thouhg maybe not as comfortable as softer-fabric shorts).

    I might invest in a proper cycling vest in the near future. Me being still quite unfit results in a completely saturated shirt and raised body temp. after any serious hillclimbing with normal cotton shirts.

  8. Btc

    Btc Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Loki <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I usually just wear boardshorts and any shirt I can find on my XC rides. Some other guys I ride
    > with wear lycra knicks and etc but they ride cannondales and are elite-class XCers for the most
    > part. (even some roadies out for a XC bash...yes on XC bikes)
    >
    > Boardies are good; they dry quickly (sweat and rain) and are comfortable (thouhg maybe not as
    > comfortable as softer-fabric shorts).
    >
    > I might invest in a proper cycling vest in the near future. Me being still quite unfit results in
    > a completely saturated shirt and raised body temp. after any serious hillclimbing with normal
    > cotton shirts.

    If you're like me and you sweat a bit, its worth trying a pair of nicks. They wick away moisture
    really well.

  9. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Hmm, I have been looking at getting a pair of nicks, but one of my friends said if I start wearing lycra he wont speak to me again :p

    I have seen normal-looking shorts with nikcs built-in., though...

  10. tasdigi wrote:
    > What is the appropriate attire for the cross country MTB rider? Is Lycra out?

    I've seen someone riding in shoes, gloves, sunglasses and helmet...

    Eventually the Torquay police pulled him over and politely ask that additional coverings be applied.

    Adrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44