XC running as off season training?

cmacblue42

Mar 1, 2006
I recently found out i was actually good at running cross country on trails and what not and i actually like it. But cycling remains as my number one sport and another reason i was hoping to be on the cross country team was to help out my off season training. The season only goes until november and weekday practices are not an issue because they are either early morning or until 4:15 and my parents pick me up at 5, but a problem arises when some off season training races might conflict with saturday xc races and training. I am sure they can work out a way to give me low intensity days on saturdays so i can ride on sundays, but is it worth stepping back from cycling a little bit on the weekends to help out my cardio? I dont think it wil be a big issue,with it ending in november and off season races twice a month starting october, but i want others opinions as well. I also posted this in the junior forum, but i need a quick response, from people that have been where i was already.

XC is awesome and wont hurt your cycling. Actually, it just might help it by cutting down on your body fat percentage. You're still young, don't focus too much on one activity. Excessive psecialization can lead to injuries and burn out further down the road. Vary it up and have fun. Look at triathlons for encouragement to cross train.

"...but a problem arises when some off season training races might conflict with saturday xc races and training."
You're questioning whether you'd chose and cross-country race over a training race!... on a bike?!​
Haha, I'd much rather skip out on a xc race. Anyways, I am running cross this year and I'd say it's definitely a good move. It will without a doubt help you strenghten/build your cardiovascular base and balance out your leg muscles.​
I ride my bike to and from practice, go home to eat, and then get some good milage in. It's a nice routine, but I'm definitely going to run into time issues when school and work starts back up...​
ALSO. If you want to stay conditioned throughout the winter ask one of the runners or your coach about indoor track, which usually starts-up sometime after the xc season is over... An alternative to sweating out the cold months on a trainer.​