XC tire direction

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Green Ride, May 25, 2004.

  1. Green Ride

    Green Ride Guest

    Sounds like a stupid question, but I would like to know. I
    bought a pair of IRC Mythos Semi Slicks. Both front and
    tires are virtually the same except it is indicated that the
    direction has to be reversed. What happens if both are in
    the same direction by following the front one? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    green ride wrote:
    > Sounds like a stupid question, but I would like to know. I
    > bought a pair of IRC Mythos Semi Slicks. Both front and
    > tires are virtually the same except it is indicated that
    > the direction has to be reversed. What happens if both are
    > in the same direction by following the front one?

    It's possible you could lose a TINY bit of traction, I
    suppose, but otherwise nothing "bad" will happen. (No Tire
    Police will come and get you or anything...probably.)

    Are the tires identical? It's very common for the same tire
    to run in opposite directions for front/rear use. I know the
    regular /knobby/ Mythos tires are front/rear specific, and
    I'm often tempted to run the rear one the "wrong way" as
    that seems like the scoopers would work better.

    IOW, I dount you can tell any difference.

    Bill "try it and see" S.

  3. "green ride" wrote:

    > Sounds like a stupid question, but I would like to know. I
    > bought a pair of IRC Mythos Semi Slicks. Both front and
    > tires are virtually the same except it is indicated that
    > the direction has to be reversed. What happens if both are
    > in the same direction by following the front one?

    Both rolling resistance and grip can be affected by
    direction according to Schwalbe: http://tinyurl.com/2apwu

    John