XC Tire, Mud & Rock

mcortazzo

Feb 12, 2005
Looking for a good xc tire for northest conditions...mud & rocky. Any suggestions on a lighter weight tire that can give me traction in mud but also stability on rocks.

any suggestions

-Mike

mcortazzo said:
Looking for a good xc tire for northest conditions...mud & rocky. Any suggestions on a lighter weight tire that can give me traction in mud but also stability on rocks.

any suggestions

-Mike
Panaracer Cinder. Lightweight, good grip, good mud clearing.

well from living in the seattle area i understand what your dealing with so i would say get IRC MYTHOS XC FRONT and IRC TRAIL BEAR TIRE REAR the mythos has good front pattern for the north west conditions and the trail has big treads so you wont lose your grip going up big hills that are all muddy

~Scott

I have tire-switching-phobia. I've been using the Smoke/Dart combo for like 10 years, and I'm afraid to switch. They just seem to work well for me, so as long as they still make the classics, I guess I'll stick with em.

mcortazzo said:

any suggestions

-Mike
For tubed tire I used the Ritchey ZED Race, excellent tire. Rolls fast, good in dry to wet conditions, excellent in rocks to hard pack.

For tubeless I am using Hutchinson Python UST. Not the most aggressive looking tire, but looks are deceiving. I am very pleased with this tire. In wet conditions I run about 35psi and rip around. I ride more technical terrain than anything without too many troubles.

I appreciate the suggestions. Decided to make it easy on myself panaracer xc pro for mud and hutchison python for most other conditions.

-Mike

ibike73 said:
For tubed tire I used the Ritchey ZED Race, excellent tire. Rolls fast, good in dry to wet conditions, excellent in rocks to hard pack.

For tubeless I am using Hutchinson Python UST. Not the most aggressive looking tire, but looks are deceiving. I am very pleased with this tire. In wet conditions I run about 35psi and rip around. I ride more technical terrain than anything without too many troubles.

mcortazzo said:
I appreciate the suggestions. Decided to make it easy on myself panaracer xc pro for mud and hutchison python for most other conditions.

-Mike
The Fire XC Pro is a great tire. But it is only adequete in sloppy conditions. In all out mud, it is next to worthless.

If you're going to buy two sets of tires, your mud tires should be MUD SPECIFIC. Venerable designs are the Maxxis Swamp Thing and Panaracer Fire Mud Pro.

The Fire XC Pro is a great roller that works great on dry to moist hardpack. It also rolls without noise on pavement (great for an all-purpose bike).