XENON: An obscure gas improves athletes’ performance

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Could this be the next big thing in doping?

Quote: It is also known to protect body tissues from the effects of low temperatures, lack of oxygen and even physical trauma. In particular, it increases levels of erythropoietin, also known as EPO, a hormone that encourages the formation of red blood cells.
Xenon’s protective and EPO-boosting properties mean it is being investigated as a treatment for babies whose brains have accidentally been starved of oxygen during birth, and of adults who have had heart attacks. But it is also, in Russia, being used as a way to improve athletic performance.
A document produced in 2010 by the State Research Institute of the Ministry of Defence sets out guidelines for the administration of the gas to athletes. It advises using it before competitions to correct listlessness and sleep disruption, and afterwards to improve physical recovery. The recommended dose is a 50:50 mixture of xenon and oxygen, inhaled for a few minutes, ideally before going to bed. The gas’s action, the manual states, continues for 48-72 hours, so repeating every few days is a good idea. And for last-minute jitters, a quick hit an hour before the starting gun can help.

Read the full article: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21595890-obscure-gas-improves-athletes-performance-breathe-it

Better watch out for those brevet riders sniffing headlight bulbs before dark... ;)

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Better watch out for those brevet riders sniffing headlight bulbs before dark...

;)
I've secured my car.

Awesome!
big-smile.png

Where can I get some of this?

I'm not a racer. I can't even stand to be around people who race! I'm just a regular lazy schmo who is losing the motivation to continue doing my 40 mile round trip 5 days/week commute and my 30 mile weekend rides. I figure juicing-up on this Xenon would be instant motivation! Motiviation to not only continue at my currently-plateaued weekly distance and speed, but maybe even to increase them. I'm serious!

Me being totally open-minded to lateral-thinking solutions, this sounds like the kind of thing that could be the "magic-pill" that could ultimately solve the US' weight problem, by providing us with the motivation and energy to get off our lazy a**es and burn more calories!

Seriously! Anybody know where I can get ahold of some of this Xenon?

Yeah, because giving people that don't have enough of a clue to figure out that exercise will help them get in better shape a gas that is basically a simple asphyxiant is a great idea. Chuck in the element of frostbite that's very possible if too much is released at once and you have the potential for so, so much fun. Maybe you could jerry-rig a oxyacetylene welding setup to mix xenon and air to a safe level...

swampy1970 said:
Yeah, because giving people that don't have enough of a clue to figure out that exercise will help them get in better shape a gas that is basically a simple asphyxiant is a great idea. Chuck in the element of frostbite that's very possible if too much is released at once and you have the potential for so, so much fun. Maybe you could jerry-rig a oxyacetylene welding setup to mix xenon and air to a safe level...
Touché! But like I said: I'm just a regular schmo! I can't design and assemble the laptop I'm typing on either. Nor program the TCP/IP protocol that transforms and transmits what I type into the packets zipping around the world. But I know enough about them to know that I want them. It's somebody else's problem to figure out the details of making them work. Hell, if the majority of meth labs can figure out how to cook up enough meth to zombify as many people as they do - with the majority of 'em (cretins though they are) managing to not blow themselves to kingdom come, then processing xenon should be a cake-walk!

You can stick meth in bags - can't do that with xenon, and therein lies the problem. Go break some fancy car headlights and start huffing the gas. :p

They say that it's also an anesthetic and hallucinogenic...
big-smile.png

I guess the saying is true:

"Whatever can kill you, can also get you high!"
big-smile.png

Xenon: (wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon#Medical

Originally Posted by swampy1970

You can stick meth in bags - can't do that with xenon, and therein lies the problem.

Go break some fancy car headlights and start huffing the gas. :p
Who said anything about bags? There's already a precedent for a tried and proven form factor:

Problem solved! :p

There was a pretty good rider from Poland called Xenon Zaskula (ok I know his name is spelt as Zenon..........................)

BikeLockHolmes said:
Who said anything about bags? There's already a precedent for a tried and proven form factor: Problem solved! :p
That's weak sauce 5% mix (at most) - the Bud Lite of gas huffing.

To answer the question about where you can buy xenon for athletes- www.xenair.com
It's a brand new company in the US, I purchased it from them, and I went from riding 3 hours to 7 seven hours!!! I did have several 15 minute breaks, but I have never ever have physically been able to force my body to go that hard for that long. So IT WORKS!!

I'm getting more and more intrigued. So, if I go break a headlight and inhale I'll hallucinate and feel stronger? Sounds like pcp.

If only it worked that way.

You'd just end up in the slammer for trashing cars and be forced into lesbian sex in the local women's county lockup...