Your Bloody Soap Box · Public discussion

Xes - Message Board

Started by limerickman · · Last activity · 2213 posts · 206,134 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Your Bloody Soap Box
Published
12 November 2004
Last activity
26 July 2012
Original author
limerickman
Posts
2213
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
206,134
Views / 30 days
901

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 141–160 of 2213
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Depends whether you want something which works or something which works but which has a fancy name. I found that a pair of standard Polaroid clip-ons did the business, and kept the gnats out, but you have to buy them in the summer, as all the pharmaceutical outlets believe that the sun goes indoors for the winter months.

    That said, you could always go to a cycling web-site and buy something fashionable, which I'm told provides a better sex-life than the Polaroids.

    But then if you're REALLY putting in the miles that's academic, as you won't be able to find it for its hydraulic function, let alone for sporting use,
    :eek:
    Quickly nurse - the screens!
    John.

  2. philhudson said:

    There are no juniors there, and the rest are seniors. Hardly any go to the sunday. ( turn outs are about 6-13 people inc myself).

    Ps imnot doing the sunday runs anymore as they are too fast, so im riding at my pace at home on sundays.


    Now Philomena, Let's not hear of talk like that. Just get out with the others on sundays. It's only a few weeks before you get your Turbo. If BRF gets to know of this you'll get a tongue lashing, and fined a weeks wages. Believe us, your proudest day will be when you start half-wheeling them. Future Champs hang on in there. Now stick it out, I've got a few ideas for the new year.
    Clip-on sunglasses. Pop in a few opticians shops, you probably find something. Both BRF and I know lots of riders who got pasted by us week after week, but they still turned up for more. One day they hung on by the skin of their teeth and got round. They never looked back after that, and nearly all went on to Pro's or Cat 1's and rode for Great Britain. You can have Xmas day off. How's that for generosity.

  3. FredC said:

    Now Philomena, Let's not hear of talk like that. Just get out with the others on sundays. It's only a few weeks before you get your Turbo. If BRF gets to know of this you'll get a tongue lashing, and fined a weeks wages. Believe us, your proudest day will be when you start half-wheeling them. Future Champs hang on in there. Now stick it out, I've got a few ideas for the new year.
    Clip-on sunglasses. Pop in a few opticians shops, you probably find something. Both BRF and I know lots of riders who got pasted by us week after week, but they still turned up for more. One day they hung on by the skin of their teeth and got round. They never looked back after that, and nearly all went on to Pro's or Cat 1's and rode for Great Britain. You can have Xmas day off. How's that for generosity.


    Im going to the sunday ride this weekend, a full traning day at newport velodrome! The trouble is with the sunday rides is that they get faster and faster each week, i will try and go though.....

  4. philhudson said:

    Im going to the sunday ride this weekend, a full traning day at newport velodrome! The trouble is with the sunday rides is that they get faster and faster each week, i will try and go though.....


    Good lad Phil,
    Silver spoons are earn't not given in this game. When I was the same age as you, I progressed by looking for trouble from riders who beat me up, a year later I could outclimb the seniors, and beat most of them in a sprint. Job done. Time to move up in class to get beat up again. How do you do this? By training when they aren't, banging the miles in, and there's no Hey Presto. Depends on your volition and ambition. Can you see that Yellow Jersey?

  5. Well anyway, since I started cycling, because i couldnt train after school, ive joined more or less every school team that is going! Got a lot of sport going on tomorow, I hope it helps....

  6. philhudson said:

    Well anyway, since I started cycling, because i couldnt train after school, ive joined more or less every school team that is going! Got a lot of sport going on tomorow, I hope it helps....


    Being competetive always does help. It's an inbuilt quality of Champions.

  7. To : "Tiny Tim" Phil Hudson.

    I bet you dread getting the mails to tell you that someone has replied to your forum topic !

    But taking up your point about other sports - it's good to to get a mix of sports to enhance the cycling.
    When I was a junior the advice was "stay off your legs" (in other words don't do
    anything except cycling).
    Then the advice changed "do something to complement your cycling - like indoor football or rowing".
    Whichever is right is correct advice - I do think that palying as much sport as possible (without cutting back on the cycling, mind !) is good for you.

    Christmas Day, hmmmm.
    Half day Christmas Day do only 25 miles - how's that for generosity, Mr.Cratchett ?
    Ba, Humbug !

  8. Phil

    As a mere female I wish you all the best being trained by these one here.

    Enjoy your day out at Newport, its a great place.

    I was down there at the Tour of Britian, hobnobbing with the bigwigs, and riders, and the eloquent Mr Duffield as well.

    Redneck, we're missing Beth and Kathy, Lim, I've tried Hetchins but with no reply can you bell him. I'll go through my list again after the weekend and see who we're missing. I think you've also got Kathys addy.

    Its lovely to be able to talk in civilised fashion with no eejits jumping down our throats.

    I just thought of another couple on my other list who might call in.

    I'll let you know about the weekend next week.

    MCM

  9. hemplands said:

    Phil

    As a mere female I wish you all the best being trained by these one here.

    Enjoy your day out at Newport, its a great place.

    I was down there at the Tour of Britian, hobnobbing with the bigwigs, and riders, and the eloquent Mr Duffield as well.

    Redneck, we're missing Beth and Kathy, Lim, I've tried Hetchins but with no reply can you bell him. I'll go through my list again after the weekend and see who we're missing. I think you've also got Kathys addy.

    Its lovely to be able to talk in civilised fashion with no eejits jumping down our throats.

    I just thought of another couple on my other list who might call in.

    I'll let you know about the weekend next week.

    MCM


    I know that we all wish MCM enjoys her outing to the Gent 6, and associated pleasures involved. She's had a tough time of things recently, and no doubt will be better charged on her return. We're all with you M. Strike up the band.

  10. limerickman said:

    To : "Tiny Tim" Phil Hudson.

    I bet you dread getting the mails to tell you that someone has replied to your forum topic !

    But taking up your point about other sports - it's good to to get a mix of sports to enhance the cycling.
    When I was a junior the advice was "stay off your legs" (in other words don't do
    anything except cycling).
    Then the advice changed "do something to complement your cycling - like indoor football or rowing".
    Whichever is right is correct advice - I do think that palying as much sport as possible (without cutting back on the cycling, mind !) is good for you.

    Christmas Day, hmmmm.
    Half day Christmas Day do only 25 miles - how's that for generosity, Mr.Cratchett ?
    Ba, Humbug !


    O be jasus, oi loike de photo filum. gi'um a good tumpin now.

  11. WOW! The velodrome was great....

  12. FredC said:

    Cheeky sod you are. Now tell us what is your winter training programme is, if any. We have the remedies to make you a better rider. Right, what races are you thinking of riding next season?


    Thanks, Fred! I am learning from the best here!

    As for winter training - I will be hitting the weights and as many miles as the weather will allow. Most of those will likely be indoors - rollers & trainer. I am going to do a 3 days a week weight program, working on all areas - which will help with weight management.

    Any advise from you old farts will be appreciated!!

  13. limerickman said:

    To Phil Hudson & Redneck

    Looks like Uncle Fred is starting a boot camp for you two !
    Get pedalling.
    Or else he might make youse endure a BRF session - brings tears to many a mans eyes.


    I need to be whipped into shape! Too much laying around watching football and drinking! I need Uncle Fred to kick my [censored] into shape.

  14. 😕 😕 😕 sorry redneck, you are doomed,you will never make it.. the winners never stop training / riding, you have not got the motivation to win, weight training, a load of [censored], you need to get in 6ooo miles, then you can think about REAL training ON the bloody bike,,,, bon courage.😄 😄 😄

  15. Redneck said:

    I need to be whipped into shape! Too much laying around watching football and drinking! I need Uncle Fred to kick my [censored] into shape.


    Right lazyarse. I can't see the point of BRF and myself having a tug o' war over your wreck of a body. But we will. Firstly, and no doubt you've been over indulging on Thanksgiving junk food and the Demon Drink. So can pack in the drink right now, along with snacky [censored], and greaseburgers. Eat more fruit and pasta, fish and red meat. Some might disagree with red meat, I think that a fat thick steak of good quality with salad is great stuff. Eat more muesli and rice with skimmed milk. From a personal point of view milk is a poison as it creates mucous. As for weight training I am in favour. Great stuff, just right 3x a week. Make sure that you only do a max. of 20x reps, then increase the load by 5lbs for upper body, and 10lbs for legs for each exercise, increase as you reach 20x for each exercise as it happens, and build up to 20x again. This should take about 3 months to achieve the max. The same goes for upper and lower abs, pull ups/sit ups.
    As for rollers, try to use the older type with 2 on the back and one on the front. The reason for this is that the bike 'rolls' with you in a sideways motion, as it would on the road. As with Young Phil, a lad of potential, who will stick it to make it, you can, as Lim says only to 25miles on Xmas day. Don't forget that Lim used to paste Sean Kelly. So now it's over to BRF for the road and mileage advice. If you do all this, you should be ready for the Tour of Georgia, and the divorce court at roughly the same time.

  16. philhudson said:

    WOW! The velodrome was great....


    Do tell us more. Did you get out on Sunday? Write a bit more Phil. We're here to help you suffer your way to the top. What club are in?

  17. I found it hard the first time I went on, then as I kept getting used to it I wasnt feeling sa tired and got up lots more confidence. we were doing skills, like do one lap at the front, ride to the top of the banked corner and let the other 20 take over below you - we did this on the blue line and insted of turning into the corner went straight on. Also I didtn fall off. It was one of the greatest days I have had in ages. Also I ordeed by turbo trainer about 5 minutes ago, i went for the new tacx flow, got it off probikekit, cant wait till christmas now for it 🙄 .

    I ride for Chelmer CC. There was a very good turn out, though only 2 others of my age.

  18. philhudson said:

    I found it hard the first time I went on, then as I kept getting used to it I wasnt feeling sa tired and got up lots more confidence. we were doing skills, like do one lap at the front, ride to the top of the banked corner and let the other 20 take over below you - we did this on the blue line and insted of turning into the corner went straight on. Also I didtn fall off. It was one of the greatest days I have had in ages. Also I ordeed by turbo trainer about 5 minutes ago, i went for the new tacx flow, got it off probikekit, cant wait till christmas now for it 🙄 .

    I ride for Chelmer CC. There was a very good turn out, though only 2 others of my age.


    Well done Phil, great stuff. You see we're all daft enough to know with the combined endeavours with a total effort of 150 years in the game between the three of us, that we know what we we are talking about. Ya see that Redneck geezer, well he won't be able to sit on your wheel come next spring. Sounds OK to me but I hope BRF has something to say. Lim will contribute. When I was junior roadie we had a great manager called Cliff Richard. He never saw the end of a race, but he was always there when it was time to attack for the 'selection'. Never said nowt, never had to, and never critiscised. What he was saying without words was that it's all up to you.

  19. I had some pics I was going to upload but couldnt

    so if anyone wants to see them, i will send them via email if thats ok...or anyother way....

  20. philhudson said:

    I had some pics I was going to upload but couldnt

    so if anyone wants to see them, i will send them via email if thats ok...or anyother way....


    Contact Hemplands, our own MCM she's a whizz at this sort of thing. I am going to propose to her on this basis. I'll do the cooking, and she'll have this thing singing and dancing before I do the beans on toast.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.