Xes - Message Board

It's gone very quiet on here - I guess those Northern nights are drawin' in. Has anyone heard anything of FredC? I haven't seen any of his postings anywhere for a long time.
I hope that 2006 has been good to all of you.
Eoin

EoinC said:
It's gone very quiet on here - I guess those Northern nights are drawin' in. Has anyone heard anything of FredC? I haven't seen any of his postings anywhere for a long time.
I hope that 2006 has been good to all of you.
Eoin
Good to hear from you Eoin. I've been hanging around here on my own for about a month now. Teams deserted me,:( Fred Cs disappeared :eek: (Hope you are OK Fred ?), John Knees has gone out in a blaze of glory:) and Limmerick Man,:confused: well who knows?
The only positive is that now BRF:rolleyes: has cleaned up in France, he's threatening to take on the cream of cycling in the Cheshire time trial scene. He's talking about doing a 24 but I dont think he's realised it's hours not kilometres!
You're right, nights are drawing in. If you're not home by about 2.30 on a cloudy day you need a back light. Guess it's pretty gloomy in them jungles though!

Jean Dubois said:
...You're right, nights are drawing in. If you're not home by about 2.30 on a cloudy day you need a back light. Guess it's pretty gloomy in them jungles though!
Hi, Jean. I'm not supposed to be on this Thread (I don't meet the qualifying criteria), but I do enjoy the banter, and particularly following BRF's progress.
I'm down in Africa at the moment, returning to Perth (the Aussie one) mid-December. It' isn't cold here, and it won't be cold there, but passing through Paris'll give me a wake-up.
I also hope that FredC's OK, and just too busy to post.
Best wishes for the festive season.
Eoin

EoinC said:
Hi, Jean. I'm not supposed to be on this Thread (I don't meet the qualifying criteria), but I do enjoy the banter, and particularly following BRF's progress.
Eoin
Ok you lot, if the only person who can post is sitting in the bloody jungle, then I'm angin up me keyboard on this thread. You've ad long innuff to get yer f'in fingers workin.
Call yourselves a team? It's every man for isself int Big Soup next year!:mad:

Jean Dubois said:
Ok you lot, if the only person who can post is sitting in the bloody jungle, then I'm angin up me keyboard on this thread. You've ad long innuff to get yer f'in fingers workin.
Go get 'em, Jean. They must be hibernating. I'm coming out of the jungle on Thursday, and winging my way back down to the Wonderful World of Oz. I've got an overnighter in Paris, though, so they'll be a couple of Leffe Blonde's to get me accustomed to the not-so-tropical climes. Have a good Xmas, and rattle some cages.

EoinC said:
Go get 'em, Jean. They must be hibernating. I'm coming out of the jungle on Thursday, and winging my way back down to the Wonderful World of Oz. I've got an overnighter in Paris, though, so they'll be a couple of Leffe Blonde's to get me accustomed to the not-so-tropical climes. Have a good Xmas, and rattle some cages.

hi there, well must say been a bit slack really, not with the bike job, but keeping forums going, don't know why this is the only one i do, except in summer when i try and get some genuine biky stuff into that dave harmans mountain bike dedhed.... been goin quite well, last race was a 2 up TT, it was only 18kms, but very well contested, hey thats sounds good.. well i have teamed up with THE mark makay,who has opened a training camp near here, we did a great time, only 4th fastest, but 2/3/4/5/ were all in 10sec, the winners were about 40 secs in front, it was the last biggy with 67 teams.. go to www.veloclubduvallespir.netfirms.com to see the pickie..we have or having a great winter so far, its just sun/sun/sun, we have not had any rain much at all this year, infact never got wet once on the bike...the wettest we had in 2006, was in durban south africa, it rained for 5 days non stop, and that was summer time.bought a new frame/bikebits its a carbon composite giant, managed to bung on ALL carbon bits, comes in at 7.2kgs..can get a bit more off, but thats quite expensive, titanium bolts et al...just riding here until the 20th next week, then its back to the UK to see sons(2) and grand kids (3),, if anyone is around the famous gargrave cafe on the 30th, i will be there with a few golden oldies, many a tale ( fibs) will be told no doubt.. well thats it, great year had, lets hope for another one next year.. oh YTD after todays ride is 14500kms not bad seeing as i have lost 7 weeks due to holidays....still got 5 days to get in 500kms can i do it.. see ya bon courage...

bikeriderfrance said:
we have or having a great winter so far, its just sun/sun/sun, we have not had any rain much at all this year, infact never got wet once on the bike...the wettest we had in 2006, was in durban south africa, it rained for 5 days non stop, and that was summer time.
Ok, I know I said I'd never post on this thread again, but all that sun/sun/sun **** just demands a reply! Hope you enjoy Gargrave and the family.
It was a bit damp last week, but yesterday,despite a respectable forecast, we got drowned on the way to the Mariners annual hotpot. Thank God the room was warm and the eats even hotter. It was a great "do" and a lot of the tourists had put in a lot of hard work to organise it.
Went out for a shortish one today, it was dull, damp and supposed to be about 6C, it felt freezing in the damp and I was right glad to get back in. Looking forward to a week in Morrocco at the start of Jan!

A great christmas and new year to anyone out there!

Jean
I think you have the edge on me now, 14000kms to date and no significant breaks.

Jean Dubois said:
Ok, I know I said I'd never post on this thread again, but all that sun/sun/sun **** just demands a reply! Hope you enjoy Gargrave and the family.A great christmas and new year to anyone out there! Jean
I think you have the edge on me now, 14000kms to date and no significant breaks.
hi there.well what was the reason that you would never post again, have i missed something..??? as usuall the weather is just great at the moment, its dry sunny a bit chilly, but really great riding weather.. got in 380 kms last week, on sunday good ride with the club doing 110 kms.. will not make mi 15k tomorrow is the last day with usually 60ks with maureen ( mi wife), so it looks like YTD of 14 750,, i will not include the proposed bradford to gargrave and back, that will be about 100ks.. BUT if its pissing down,, may just sit and watch the telly.. looking forward to the uk off on wednesday see ya all merry xmas happy new year see ya..

Jean Dubois said:
Well I'll just try and tiptoe in here so nobody'll notice.
Actually I was no longer getting any notification of you lot posting and thought the forum had died or some'at
Chalked up 9200 girlies this year so it looks like I'll be falling short of a 10000 but never mind I mainly enjoyed it and had some good fun and made a lot of progress.
MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all.

Jacques Dupont said:
Well I'll just try and tiptoe in here so nobody'll notice.
Actually I was no longer getting any notification of you lot posting and thought the forum had died or some'at
Chalked up 9200 girlies this year so it looks like I'll be falling short of a 10000 but never mind I mainly enjoyed it and had some good fun and made a lot of progress.
MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all.
hi there.. well i was right, managed to get in as i said 14750 kms,, not bad really,, had mi best year for a long time, so all in all a good year... will be hard at it when i get back,, just seen the regional calender for next year, races UFOLEP start 1 st week in april, so it will be FFC and maybe the spanish veterano catalano events just over the border.in march ... will be training with mark makay and about 4/5 elite semi pro riders, plus a usa guy who ses he goes a bit, he is here for a few months.. should be exciting times,, hell this years not over yet... looking forward to seeing mi kids and grandkids over the holidays, hey and mi mum she's 87 and like a jack in the box,, hope i am when i get to 87 mmmmmmmmmmm. well keep on going..and getting them in... still on line to DOOOO the RTCC 24 hour next year,, oh dear oh dear..oh dear.. . see ya geoff....

I haven't been posting on here for a long time partly due to hassle in my personal life and losing my password, I could have reregistered but it seemed to be a little superfluous as I could still read the forums. But doing pre Christmas cleaning on my PC I found it so can post again.

I noticed you've been asking where FredC is. I have heard from him recently, and I have to post that he has been rather poorly, but he is still around.

I wish to send you all the compliments of the season, as it seems now it is politically incorrect to call it Christmas.

MCM x

hemplands said:
...I noticed you've been asking where FredC is. I have heard from him recently, and I have to post that he has been rather poorly, but he is still around...
Can you please wish FredC a Happy New Year for me, next time you see him? I hope he is doing better now.
Regards,
Eoin

hemplands said:
I haven't been posting on here for a long time partly due to hassle in my personal life and losing my password, I could have reregistered but it seemed to be a little superfluous as I could still read the forums. But doing pre Christmas cleaning on my PC I found it so can post again.

I noticed you've been asking where FredC is. I have heard from him recently, and I have to post that he has been rather poorly, but he is still around.

I wish to send you all the compliments of the season, as it seems now it is politically incorrect to call it Christmas.

MCM x

hi there well happy new year to you all. did not know fred c was unwell, sorry, if you are able to read this, get well soon..had a miserable 15 days in the uk rain rain rain and no sun more rain.. got in one ride with mi mate, yes you've guessed it.. wet through..got back to the land of sunshine and voila sun sun sun and more sun....started on the bike on the 5th of jan, got in so far 350kms.. should get in by end of month about 2000kms.. a weeks rest visiting rome,then back at it.... still on line to do the rttc 24 in june.. see ya geoff.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there well happy new year to you all. did not know fred c was unwell, sorry, if you are able to read this, get well soon..had a miserable 15 days in the uk rain rain rain and no sun more rain.. got in one ride with mi mate, yes you've guessed it.. wet through..got back to the land of sunshine and voila sun sun sun and more sun....started on the bike on the 5th of jan, got in so far 350kms.. should get in by end of month about 2000kms.. a weeks rest visiting rome,then back at it.... still on line to do the rttc 24 in june.. see ya geoff.
And a Happy New Year from me to one and all. Escaped the UK gloom to Morrocco on New Years Eve. A fantastic 8 days of Sun, Souks and Sand. Back to the gloom now. Got in 21 miles yesterday and yesss! Got **** wet through.
We're tough over here, so about to go out for more of the same.
No chance of me doing a 24. I couldn't stand for 36 hours after I tried a 100. Hope you manage to enter a few other events when you're over. It'd be good to be in the same bunch.

Jean Dubois said:
And a Happy New Year from me to one and all. Escaped the UK gloom to Morrocco on New Years Eve. A fantastic 8 days of Sun, Souks and Sand. Back to the gloom now. Got in 21 miles yesterday and yesss! Got **** wet through.
We're tough over here, so about to go out for more of the same.
No chance of me doing a 24. I couldn't stand for 36 hours after I tried a 100. Hope you manage to enter a few other events when you're over. It'd be good to be in the same bunch.
hi there, weekly update weather still just great, actually went out in mi shorts on saturday, strange, never had to shave mi legs before in january..well a bit of a lie, did it all the time when we lived in seeeeth afreeeeka, but it was summer there. had a good week, got out every day and managed a good 520kms that plus my 275 kms NOT 350kms.. gave me a good total of 795kms , about about 500 miles.. not bad for 10 days.. today and friday its mi day off , but out all the others.. the race season is a bit hit and miss at the moment, the ffc mob have not sentout their handbook yet, the other mobs are doing it at the moment.. still plenty of time to sort out the season. fixed up mi new/sh giant tcr composite and rode it yesterday,, must say rides and does look good.. the club guys nearly fell over when i pitched up on it.. it is all carbon, just looks good.... spinergys put the edge on it though.. well thats it, keep getting em in.. may see ya in july ( 24hrs oh no ).. bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, weekly update weather still just great, actually went out in mi shorts on saturday, strange, never had to shave mi legs before in january..well a bit of a lie, did it all the time when we lived in seeeeth afreeeeka, but it was summer there. had a good week, got out every day and managed a good 520kms that plus my 275 kms NOT 350kms.. gave me a good total of 795kms , about about 500 miles.. not bad for 10 days.. today and friday its mi day off , but out all the others.. the race season is a bit hit and miss at the moment, the ffc mob have not sentout their handbook yet, the other mobs are doing it at the moment.. still plenty of time to sort out the season. fixed up mi new/sh giant tcr composite and rode it yesterday,, must say rides and does look good.. the club guys nearly fell over when i pitched up on it.. it is all carbon, just looks good.... spinergys put the edge on it though.. well thats it, keep getting em in.. may see ya in july ( 24hrs oh no ).. bon courage.
Well looks like you're off to a good start.
However if you are serious and foolhardy enough to attempt a 24h I think you'll need all the help, support and encouragement that you may get from your fellow cyclists on this forum.
Now if we all put our heads together (ouch that was a hard one, must have been BRF's) we could maybe think of a few things you'd not thought of yourself:
a) you'll need a good coach so you'll have to take me back on again
b) you'll need night vision googles (these are pretty hi-tech and may not be found in the army surplus)
c) you'll need lights, here to be environmentally friendly, I suggest you fit a dynamo, it might slow you down a little but we have to save the planet so no batteries, you must set a good example now
d) we'll need some powerful chemicals for your round-the-clock helpers we can't 'ave um falling asleep on the job can we? we could maybe slip you one on the sly if you start to falter, we'll deal the the drug test cheating procedures later in private
e) eating, you'll have to eat at some point but when and where is open to discussion
f) pissing, on or off the bike? Maybe someone could come up with an ingenious idea - looking for suggestions here
and generally hoping for some input from all you experienced lads. I mean we can't let him throw himself into this reckless venture without a little help or can we?

Jacques Dupont said:
Re BRF's 24
a) you'll need a good coach so you'll have to take me back on again
b) you'll need night vision googles (these are pretty hi-tech and may not be found in the army surplus)
c) you'll need lights, here to be environmentally friendly, I suggest you fit a dynamo, it might slow you down a little but we have to save the planet so no batteries, you must set a good example now
d) we'll need some powerful chemicals for your round-the-clock helpers we can't 'ave um falling asleep on the job can we? we could maybe slip you one on the sly if you start to falter, we'll deal the the drug test cheating procedures later in private
e) eating, you'll have to eat at some point but when and where is open to discussion
f) pissing, on or off the bike? Maybe someone could come up with an ingenious idea - looking for suggestions here
and generally hoping for some input from all you experienced lads. I mean we can't let him throw himself into this reckless venture without a little help or can we?
Jaques!! Where you been all Winter?? I need some serious coaching advice and I can't think of anyone better. (Imagination failure). BRF see a) above.
I'm only a couple of weeks into the new year and I'm already a thousand kilometres down on this bloke in France. Is there any chance you could do something about our weather or am I just making lame excuses? I bet you trian in torrential rain, freezing temps and gales.
Have been giving some serious thought to BRF's 24. With regard to your advice I would suggest, (Respectfully, being only a modest achiever in this company): -
a) Covered above ( Just look at Team Bridgewood Castles successes in 2006)
b) Carrots (Baby ones, wedged between the eye lids)
c) A fresh packet of glow worms (Really environmentally friendly but red ones proving difficult to source)
d) Not needed - He'll be hallucinating quite nicely around 4am without any artificial stimulants
e) Cold rice pudding handed up from a well meaning but stationary helper. That usually hits the spot - in fact it hits every spot
f) Pete Mathews runs a free consultancy service on this one, it covers every aspect. In fact, if you happen to be riding behind him he leaves no aspect uncovered. He also runs a good sideline in taking off bits of kit in the middle of the bunch on rough roads! Think he charges for that sevice but its offset against any consequential wheel building costs.

Hope this helps:) Jean

Jean Dubois said:
Jaques!! Where you been all Winter?? I need some serious coaching advice and I can't think of anyone better. (Imagination failure). BRF see a) above.
I'm only a couple of weeks into the new year and I'm already a thousand kilometres down on this bloke in France. Is there any chance you could do something about our weather or am I just making lame excuses? I bet you trian in torrential rain, freezing temps and gales.
Have been giving some serious thought to BRF's 24. With regard to your advice I would suggest, (Respectfully, being only a modest achiever in this company): -
a) Covered above ( Just look at Team Bridgewood Castles successes in 2006)
b) Carrots (Baby ones, wedged between the eye lids)
c) A fresh packet of glow worms (Really environmentally friendly but red ones proving difficult to source)
d) Not needed - He'll be hallucinating quite nicely around 4am without any artificial stimulants
e) Cold rice pudding handed up from a well meaning but stationary helper. That usually hits the spot - in fact it hits every spot
f) Pete Mathews runs a free consultancy service on this one, it covers every aspect. In fact, if you happen to be riding behind him he leaves no aspect uncovered. He also runs a good sideline in taking off bits of kit in the middle of the bunch on rough roads! Think he charges for that sevice but its offset against any consequential wheel building costs.

Hope this helps:) Jean
I've just had a strange email from someone in Bradford asking about carbon fibre-spinning glow worms for a friend of his who apparently lives somewhere in France near the Spanish border. Does anyone know where these little fellows can be purchased and at what price.
Seems all very strange to me?????

Jacques Dupont said:
I've just had a strange email from someone in Bradford asking about carbon fibre-spinning glow worms for a friend of his who apparently lives somewhere in France near the Spanish border. Does anyone know where these little fellows can be purchased and at what price.
Seems all very strange to me?????
There was a little piece in cycling last week about a guy with BRF's alias, in the 60s, riding over the banking of Roundhay Park track in Leeds and ending up in the nearby fairground! "I just forgot myself, but my bike handlings good isn't it" he's reported to have said. Couldn't be BRF, there weren't any expletives, or was it?
Met Jan Peveril this Saturday at the Revolution, and very lean and hungry he was looking too! Things are looking up up for the team already. Fantastic night and the sprint final between Tournant and Maclean was a real thriller. Saw Victoria Pendleton and Anna Blyth for the first time. What talent.
Why is it so blody cold??
YTD: 1427kms - just kidding, its 700 really.;)

Jean Dubois said:
There was a little piece in cycling last week about a guy with BRF's alias, in the 60s, riding over the banking of Roundhay Park track in Leeds and ending up in the nearby fairground! "I just forgot myself, but my bike handlings good isn't it" he's reported to have said. Couldn't be BRF, there weren't any expletives, or

Why is it so blody cold??
YTD: 1427kms - just kidding, its 700 really.;)
hi there well shiver mi timbers, i remember that episode above at rounday park, it was the final of the west riding grass track 5 mile chumps.. jeff jaques said to me about a couple of laps to go, " dont do anything stupidint sprint", hell i thought, this guy ( worlds No 1 in grass racing), is scared of me, so without a todo, down the back straight with 300 metrs to go, i jumped passed the lot at great speed.. great well eerr no, i hit the bend and there is or was a notorius BIG HOLE BUMP half way through.. yes you've guessed it, hit it at a great speed, bounced up in the air, front wheel off the ground, and yes when i came down i was heading for the crowd.. **** you should have seen them there guys jump for their lives. a gap appeared and i shot throught, i managed to miss a few small children who were happily playing away and ramed side on a very large black car with a flag on the wing.. i was unhurt, the bike was ok but the car was a bit bent... safe to say i did not finish..
on a modern day note, the weather has changed by about 20c, its bloody cold just above freezing, but clear blue skies.. i have been able to get out only 3 times this week, its been so cold, but so for this year i have got in 1360kms not too bad..

been training with a guy from the USA,, **** man they are strange,, so into the drivel about splits/spins/sprints/power cranks/heart monitors/ 5 mins at max. 10mins at min.. hell i got fed up after about an hour off this ****.. just sed to the bolke,, when do you get some bloody miles in then.. oh we do.. last year got in 4000.. case dismissed. ps he is a 1st cat usa road man....heee heee heeee stuffed him up on all the climbs we have been over... he is/was sick as a pig that some old 60 plus fart can doim.. oh i am so gentle see ya still on for the 24hr.. bon courage.