Xes - Message Board

Miss Meow said:
Jesus, Brian, everyone knows you can't trust a man who considers himself a boy scout. Now I understand how the passage of time can erase bad memories and replace them with utter fantasyland guff. I never leave home without water or a pump, so maybe I was trying to procure some of your speed'n'strychnine mix to get home because I did all the work on the front that day. :)
I'm very sorry if my linkages of word association might be unseemly to some, but I think it's a bloody good idea to pursue the subconscious mind in your post, the words I refer to are 'passage', 'water', and 'pump'. This should result in getting rid of some old ****.
Hey just wait while the season starts.

bikeriderfrance said:
bonjour, oh forgot to say that i am on a pennine 531 TT framed bike with 38x42 rings, 11x32 old block, vietnam nylon tyres and tubes, and old **** tackle.. how does this man do it... bon courage,

My road bike has a 531 frame as well. I've never seen an 11 x 32, but then again, our hills are merely pimples on the landscape compared to Europe.

We once had an overpaid, gadget-freak guy on our training rides. He was the first one in the country to get the Zipp gear changing system where you supposedly just press little buttons on the grips to change gears. Needless to say, we were 40km from home and it chose not to work. We left him to find a generous motorist to give him a ride.

FredC said:
I'm very sorry if my linkages of word association might be unseemly to some, but I think it's a bloody good idea to pursue the subconscious mind in your post, the words I refer to are 'passage', 'water', and 'pump'. This should result in getting rid of some old ****.
Hey just wait while the season starts.

Ewwwwww, it's not my subconscious I'm worried about.

Just in the door - 70 miles today.
Total for January 2005 is 1,040 miles.
The last 4 days I've put in 280 miles - that's 70 per day.

I've achieved what I call fusion - man and bike in perfect harmony.
I always get to this stage when I get the miles in.
I could have done more miles each day, but I capped myself at 70 miles per day to ensure that I'd make the most of the reasonably good weather.

The Kanturk Cycling Club ****** by me today - all blasting along using 53/11.
I went with them for a few miles but I really couldn't be bothered trying to push the big gears, especilly after staying in 40/15 for the last three days continuously, at 90 rpm.
Have resorted to the Method to get the body accustomed and let me tell you it works.

Off for a pot of tea now.
Good to see the Redneck back !

Miss Meow said:
My road bike has a 531 frame as well. I've never seen an 11 x 32, but then again, our hills are merely pimples on the landscape compared to Europe.

We once had an overpaid, gadget-freak guy on our training rides. He was the first one in the country to get the Zipp gear changing system where you supposedly just press little buttons on the grips to change gears. Needless to say, we were 40km from home and it chose not to work. We left him to find a generous motorist to give him a ride.
salut Mlle Meow, well a 11x32 rue libre is a vtt block, i knackered my mavic sup back wheel, (dont ask), and the bike shop guy who sponsored me gave me this back wheel with a VTT block on it,, i was riding it for hiver/printemps, so kept it on... the guys realy get upset when you go past them like a mad man or as my local doctor calls me " Crazy Man"..... will be on the best bike for the training run next week, its getting a bit well eerrr hard,,,, bon courage.. ps yes the zipp job,, chris boardman used one in the tour, in fact all the CA guys had them,, it is reported that after the start of each stage, the CA team all jumped off the bikes and changed back to bikes with shimano dura ace gears on them,,,, you can pick them up on ebay for nowt....

bonjour.. well its the end of january training for me, got in 1475kms, i was a bit down due to the crazy weather this week, i normally get in 400 kms per week, but with the temp at 3c, with a 60/80 kph wind blowing, the chill factor was down to -5/6,, still not bad, but i think less than LRM.. but as i said before, its odds on i do 400 kms per week,, can LRM keep it up....BC i am what you would call a pot hunter, i travel 100's os kilos to win a race,, i have a tea chest full of trophys, cups and medals.. my chest is not big enough for them,, to me i win or i dont.... it is what drives me on... my major aim this year is the vets 60/64 world champs in austria,,,, its all i think about.....must do it.... you say you are going for the " masters", well down here I AM THE MASTER".. bon courage,, how many k's this year.. bon courage...

bonjour.. well its the end of january training for me, got in 1475kms, i was a bit down due to the crazy weather this week, i normally get in 400 kms per week, but with the temp at 3c, with a 60/80 kph wind blowing, the chill factor was down to -5/6,, still not bad, but i think less than LRM.. but as i said before, its odds on i do 400 kms per week,, can LRM keep it up....BC i am what you would call a pot hunter, i travel 100's os kilos to win a race,, i have a tea chest full of trophys, cups and medals.. my chest is not big enough for them,, to me i win or i dont.... it is what drives me on... my major aim this year is the vets 60/64 world champs in austria,,,, its all i think about.....must do it.... you say you are going for the " masters", well down here I AM THE MASTER".. bon courage,, how many k's this year.. bon courage...

limerickman said:

I could have done more miles each day, but I capped myself at 70 miles per day to ensure that I'd make the most of the reasonably good weather.

I went with them for a few miles but I really couldn't be bothered trying to push the big gears, especilly after staying in 40/15 for the last three days continuously, at 90 rpm.
Have resorted to the Method to get the body accustomed and let me tell you it works.

Well done Lim, all good stuff on The Method. What's a westerly gale blowing up your **** on 53x11 going to do for your fitness? Can they turn in the road and face the wind? Looks good eh, I bet they all switch their monitors off, grovel for gears, can't ride in wheels, cause crashes and mayhem.
Hey listen Lim fire up for the war against ESMB. No news direct on this topic.
Your pal Basta hasn't come up with anything yet either. Must pop a few off to Picard as MCM is having a rough time, she has lots of ears.

bikeriderfrance said:
Well you could wear your chip 'ole # one uniform of the West Yorkshire Murderers Regiment with a peaked oppy at and medals galore rattling in the saddlebag with the tins of bully beef and spare re-fried batteries.
John Simpson BBC correspodent in the War Zone.
I see that the Lancashire 8th Army, formerly known as the Pennine Rats have left in numbers to take on the defence of the West Pennines against the marauders from the east.
The battleground is an area of difficult mountainous terrain covering some several thousand square miles.
The Lancashire riders claim to have the upper hand in culinary delights, such as black puddings, and Hollands steak and kidney puddings.
The malnourished Yorkshire could only come with flimsey Puds, without a sniff of beef.
Wasn't that all good fun last season? I can't understand why people accused me of sending in anons to reply to myself.
I never needed them

Miss Meow said:
Ewwwwww, it's not my subconscious I'm worried about.
You misconstrued the text, it was aimed at BC.
Percy Shaw, the inventor of cats eyes for the road got his idea when driving along in the dark one night and they illuminated back at him. Now then if the cat had been facing the other way he could have invented the pencil sharpener.

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'day The sun is shining the temp is 28C with a light South Easter blowing and I'm going out on me bike fer a couple of hours, so there, have a good night you lot?

Keep the wheels in motion?TBC
Google in Dave Bedwell, someone is constructing a site of his achievements and glory in his memory. I just thought that as you tell us that you knew and trained with him, you could contribute a few articles with your good writing to help the site along.
As MCM has said all along, when us lot go without writing things about clublife and the start of the BLRC, and how the BCF continually wrecked the whole process of progression, in order to line their own pockets.

limerickman said:

That's good stuff Lim, and it's only the end of Jan, I'll bet you that you are now thinking if you had used The Method in preparation for last years Etape de Tour you would have suffered less.
Now that running lark,... Just run on wet grass, kick a ball in front of you, and don't change gear.

bikeriderfrance said:

There's no way, I'll match your distance by 31/12/05 : work is the killer.
Even when you manage to get time to go for a spin - it's tough keeping "her indoors" on side and all the rest of it.
I know I said 1,000 miles per month is the target and I'll try to keep to that.
In all probability, I won't match it, but you need a target.

The weather down your way is still pretty bad by the looks of things.

We're fine here until next Wednesday - then it's back to official winter time
again.

FredC said:
Well done Lim, all good stuff on The Method. What's a westerly gale blowing up your **** on 53x11 going to do for your fitness? Can they turn in the road and face the wind? Looks good eh, I bet they all switch their monitors off, grovel for gears, can't ride in wheels, cause crashes and mayhem.
Hey listen Lim fire up for the war against ESMB. No news direct on this topic.
Your pal Basta hasn't come up with anything yet either. Must pop a few off to Picard as MCM is having a rough time, she has lots of ears.

You know Fred, it was yourself and BRF, that reminded me of the Method and just how beneficial it is.
I'd forgotten just how good it is - the hard bit is staying in the one gear and maintaining the same rythmn, as you well know.
But you get used to it after the first hour.

Yeah, 53x11 brigade swept by today bursting their bollox trying to make an
impression.
I went with them for 3-4 miles but I just said "**** it" there's no point in trying to make an impression.
Of course, there was a tailwind when the passed me, so you're probably right,
they were back to granny gears on their way home.

Caught Panorama tonight - John Simpson needs his head examined.
He's a brave bloke or else he's totally made.
Although, he probably wants to make the most of his frequent flyer points in Iraq, after all Saddam banned him from Iraq for the past decade !

FredC said:
That's good stuff Lim, and it's only the end of Jan, I'll bet you that you are now thinking if you had used The Method in preparation for last years Etape de Tour you would have suffered less.
Now that running lark,... Just run on wet grass, kick a ball in front of you, and don't change gear.

The running stuff is something I'm not looking forward to but it's for a very worthwhile cause (Hospice).
Might be in the Hospice myself after trying to run a marathon, but there you go.

Yep, I sent MCM a note at X-Mas and I got a brief reply.
I think she's under the weather as you say.
(snookered with an infection, that she can't get shake).
I'll send her a mail again wishing her all the best and I'll send one to Picard, wishing ES all the worst !
No, in all seriousness, I'm looking forward to the ES board getting up and functioning again.

limerickman said:
There's no way, I'll match your distance by 31/12/05 : work is the killer.
Even when you manage to get time to go for a spin - it's tough keeping "her indoors" on side and all the rest of it.
I know I said 1,000 miles per month is the target and I'll try to keep to that.
In all probability, I won't match it, but you need a target.

The weather down your way is still pretty bad by the looks of things.

We're fine here until next Wednesday - then it's back to official winter time
again.
The miles can't be taken back, you've got them in, and good mileage it is to for this time of the year. Now that you've laid the foundations, and don't forget that, perhaps it's time for a reassessment of your programme, after all you've broken the back of getting into shape. Start looking at gradual weight loss and diet now. It's nearly Feb, it soon passes. By St Paddys Day and the Cheltenham Gold Cup it could be Beef Or Salmon, or bread and dripping.
Now Where's that Ted Walsh feller?

limerickman said:
The running stuff is something I'm not looking forward to but it's for a very worthwhile cause (Hospice).
Might be in the Hospice myself after trying to run a marathon, but there you go.

Yep, I sent MCM a note at X-Mas and I got a brief reply.
I think she's under the weather as you say.
(snookered with an infection, that she can't get shake).
I'll send her a mail again wishing her all the best and I'll send one to Picard, wishing ES all the worst !
No, in all seriousness, I'm looking forward to the ES board getting up and functioning again.
Look at it this way Lim. ES pulled the board on us with a flimsy excuse, that's why we are here. The whole lot of them know who I am, and I am still in contact and not incommunicado with the outfit. I actually know a lot of things that I won't publish here or anywhere else. With five weeks to go before they announce their 'New' format for our board, I've heard nothing, the only thing that I can report is that instead of importing a message board system they are going to develop inhouse. The only response to that is that up to now all the other boards are still working on the old insecure method. So much for incremential progress. Zilch.
Oh and by the way, all the wankers who tried to wipe me out failed.
I can see them hiding behind the wall to try and stuff DD and me up again.
Just look at that anon rubbish about you having the squirts, and that stuff about me and Tony Bell being related, and PGM re-transposing actual commentary wordage, and using it to castigate DH as being a liar on air.
Who needs that stuff?

FredC said:
Look at it this way Lim. ES pulled the board on us with a flimsy excuse, that's why we are here. The whole lot of them know who I am, and I am still in contact and not incommunicado with the outfit. I actually know a lot of things that I won't publish here or anywhere else. With five weeks to go before they announce their 'New' format for our board, I've heard nothing, the only thing that I can report is that instead of importing a message board system they are going to develop inhouse. The only response to that is that up to now all the other boards are still working on the old insecure method. So much for incremential progress. Zilch.
Oh and by the way, all the wankers who tried to wipe me out failed.
I can see them hiding behind the wall to try and stuff DD and me up again.
Just look at that anon rubbish about you having the squirts, and that stuff about me and Tony Bell being related, and PGM re-transposing actual commentary wordage, and using it to castigate DH as being a liar on air.
Who needs that stuff?
bonjour strong words indeed.. lets wait an see.. good old LRMan, as i said can you keep it up, i would say from my point that you have banged in 1650 kms, thats a LOT,,, as Fred c ses you don't loose them BUT, remember 1 week off is equall to 2 weeks on , i would now put in a shedule for 1000 k's per month, and gor for a 10k year,, you should do that AND when you are in front it makes you go for ir a little more,, when you are falling behind, it takes a lot of Mr ED ( do you know him), to get back on track... well the winds dropped a bit and it is a bit warmer here now,, so should be back in business from to-morrow (lundi rien de velo)...i still see that the aussies say that it will be a green and yellow wipe out at the tour,,, no wonder they live down under...bon courage.

FredC said:
You misconstrued the text, it was aimed at BC.
Percy Shaw, the inventor of cats eyes for the road got his idea when driving along in the dark one night and they illuminated back at him. Now then if the cat had been facing the other way he could have invented the pencil sharpener.
bonjour quite right, old percy shaw lived in halifax, we often passed his factory on the drop down from queensbury, or the drag up to qbry... it was a strange site, he lived next door in a 3 bed terraced house ont rode lad,, his roller (RR).. was always parked outside, and in winter it was usually covered in **** snow ****, all that the passing traffic could throw at it.....the factory made the "cats eyes" for the same method for aver 50 years, and when he died, another era left us...(just like fred dibna).. on small note,, the french always maintained that THEY invented the cats eys or reflecting road studs,,, but old percy jumped in and got his patented before the french,,,, the french government passed a law that NO cats eyes were to be used or placed on any roads in france... and would you believe they are nowhere to be seen,, we have the plastic reflecting strip things on the aoutoroute, but thats it.. the french don't forget..bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:

G'dat BRF, Keep up the good work, and good luck with the Champ's, Austria eh? Just wait till they put a couple of l's in there, and you'll get a real tatse of good weather, it was 34C yesterday and I was out before the sun got too high in the sky. After that I spent the rest of the day at my son's place in the pool, it was still bloody hot, only trouble with that is, I got me baldy spot burnt a bit?

My kilometres are not much to, be written about but I'm happy, it's the riding that counts for me, just out there in the fresh air and I mean fesh air straight off the Southern Pacific Ocean. It's magic stuff, I know you poor sods are getting it rough and I'm a lucky ******* too, maybe when they decide to do the Masters in OZ you'll come on down?

Kilometres so far since Christmas are only "875" just take a tick over the next tenth, that's enough for me at present, I've got nothing to aim at except fitness and maintaining/losing a bit of weight. As you said to Lim one week off the bike is the loss of two weeks work on it. I'm just hoping my brother in law in the UK has still got his old mountain bike so I can still get at least a couple of small rides in round Maidstone in Kent.

My loverly wife reminded me today it's only twleve weeks away, doesn't the time fly when your having fun, it's so much fun I can hardly contain myself.

August is going ot be a real struggle for me to get back into it again.

I'm going, I've just looked at the clock it's 11.50pm and I'm supposd to be going out early in the morning, before it get too bloody 'ot.

If your reading here Fred, I'll have a Google at the Dave Bedwell site, but that's tomorrow, Bounanotte, TBC