Xes - Message Board

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'day again Fred, who said anything about speaking fluent French, mate your losing the plot completely now, never mind, it's the first sign's of old age mate?
That's odd, you're talking thru' your exhaust pipe. Nobody spoke English, it was all done in French. Have another comfrey tablet. Run a team? you couldn't run a bath.

FredC said:
Stack Stevens and his mate Jethro. Well BRF and I had a smashing time with them two. At least they were who they said they were, a great English rugby player, and a famous west country comedian.

Surely you trawled through all my rubbish, I'll be disappointed if you didn't. What about that plonker Twyford. Couldn't tell the difference between a bike and a billiard ball.

I went through everyones rubbish - hoping that someone would talk cycling, instead of rugby or whatever.
Instead Stack kept going on about a pub in Cornwall - as for Twyford, he was
talking through his **** too.
SS was very funny though.

In hindsight some of the stuff was funny - even PGM's commentarys.
Although I am a DD fan - he's the reason why I watch ES in the first place.
I like him telling us about the merits of a particular area or the food - I cn work out the cycling for myself.

Hey, Fred, you're a fight fan - did you catch the Hopkins Eastman fight tonight
on BB2 ?

It was a good fight - I was hoping Eastman would upset the odds and win.
Eastman's a good fighter, but Hopkins is something else.
Forty years old.
The speed of his hands and the accuracy of his punches - very impressive.
Thought Eastman gave a good account of himself.

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'day again Fred, who said anything about speaking fluent French, mate your losing the plot completely now, never mind, it's the first sign's of old age mate?

Page ten of the medical report coming up, don't you worry about me Fred I'll outlive you by at least fifteen years, believe me, and that's a fact.
Thank Christ for that, but unfortunate for the others posters.
Hey, I don't care, whatever I have done in all aspects of life, some success in business and one marital failure. The whole issue and thread from the age of seven has been through the consistency of a continunity in bike racing and it's infrastructure, and is the same today. You know absolutely eff all. Lim knows who I played football for as a junior, and the day came when one or the other went, but he's not going to tell anyone. I know more or less everything about BRF, and he knows the same about me.
Between the three of us we know a lot of people, we know how to connect, so stop trying to blow your bugle without a mouthpiece.
I think that BRF would simply say "Shut it".

limerickman said:
Hey, Fred, you're a fight fan - did you catch the Hopkins Eastman fight tonight
on BB2 ?

It was a good fight - I was hoping Eastman would upset the odds and win.
Eastman's a good fighter, but Hopkins is something else.
Forty years old.
The speed of his hands and the accuracy of his punches - very impressive.
Thought Eastman gave a good account of himself.
No Lim I didn't see it. I've been busy annoying Cotgrove, just practising until the other buggers turn up. MCM's lads loved my stuff so she asked me to write without expletives without changing the content. Do you know they used to rush home from school to see the pp postings.
How about Audrey Harrison? He's got girls legs.

limerickman said:
I went through everyones rubbish - hoping that someone would talk cycling, instead of rugby or whatever.
Instead Stack kept going on about a pub in Cornwall - as for Twyford, he was
talking through his **** too.
SS was very funny though.

In hindsight some of the stuff was funny - even PGM's commentarys.
Although I am a DD fan - he's the reason why I watch ES in the first place.
I like him telling us about the merits of a particular area or the food - I cn work out the cycling for myself.
My opinion of what was PGM's absolute best was his description of DD's reaction into mike when a dog ran in the road "Get that thing out of way for Christs sake" then as PGM understating that DD after his apoplexy retired from speaking to mike for half an hour, and a few other twiddly bits. Jesus, he's funny, I just don't understand why he doesn't stay with that aspect.

FredC said:
My opinion of what was PGM's absolute best was his description of DD's reaction into mike when a dog ran in the road "Get that thing out of way for Christs sake" then as PGM understating that DD after his apoplexy retired from speaking to mike for half an hour, and a few other twiddly bits. Jesus, he's funny, I just don't understand why he doesn't stay with that aspect.

yep, it was very good some of the DD commentary - although PGM had it in for DD.
Although he posted some funny remarks, he always attacked DD, very subtly.

I hope DD is back for 2005.
The man is excellent - I know that he can go off on a tangent but there you go.
I'd listen to him all day long.

People love to listen to him talking about different parts of the world.
My parents are retired and they used to listen to his commentaries, just to
get some ideas for holiday locations !

FredC said:
No Lim I didn't see it. I've been busy annoying Cotgrove, just practising until the other buggers turn up. MCM's lads loved my stuff so she asked me to write without expletives without changing the content. Do you know they used to rush home from school to see the pp postings.
How about Audrey Harrison? He's got girls legs.

Fred - don't be leading those youngsters off the straight and narrow !

limerickman said:
yep, it was very good some of the DD commentary - although PGM had it in for DD.

I don't think that PGM ever had it in for DD on a direct level of attack unlike some others I could mention. I have absolutely no doubt that PGM and I would get on fine. I understand their humour, and it's part of their love and respect for a person. It might be called lots of things but I learned all the answers. Great People.
DD is back, but can't say more at the minute.

FredC said:
Thank Christ for that, but unfortunate for the others posters.
Hey, I don't care, whatever I have done in all aspects of life, some success in business and one marital failure. The whole issue and thread from the age of seven has been through the consistency of a continunity in bike racing and it's infrastructure, and is the same today. You know absolutely eff all. Lim knows who I played football for as a junior, and the day came when one or the other went, but he's not going to tell anyone. I know more or less everything about BRF, and he knows the same about me.
Between the three of us we know a lot of people, we know how to connect, so stop trying to blow your bugle without a mouthpiece.
I think that BRF would simply say "Shut it".

G'day Fred Tut, Tut, Tut, getting snakey.
well travelled and well connected that's good and I'm very pleased for you, BRF and LIM also.

I have never blown my trumpet, as you say Fred just tellling it as it is mate, plain and simply, if that doesn't fit into your schedule then that's tough for you, I'm certainly not worried by anything you have to say.

I'm glad your the mouthpiece for the others too, I got that impression many weeks ago that you fancied yourself as the JUDGE, JURY and EXECUTIONER.

If you feel comfortable with that mantle then I'm very pleased for you, as long as you derive some sort of entertainment out of it then so be it Fred.

If the others don't like my input to this forum then it all it takes is for Lim and BRf to say so and I'll just unsubscribe, it's that easy, makes little difference to me.

Maybe then I'll get on with something far more constructive, instead wasting my time writing here.

It was never my original intention to get involved with this anyway, and I certainly didn't mean to make you feel insecure Fred. I have found over the years that many people have difficulty handling my truth's, why I'll never know.

As I said before, I'm just a simple cockney lad, loves me bike, can still ride it too and whether I have any input to this forum or not, I'll still continue to ride me bike as well.

Before I sign off, One of my lads here Nic Johnson has just taken a Silver in the States Track Championship's in the 500 metre TT missed the Gold by .09, Gold in the pursuit 3.50.9, I haven't seen him since Saturday night, so I'm not sure how he went in the sprints on Sunday, at 41 years of age he's going quite well for a novice.

Nic's only been riding a bike for about two years now, I think he's applied himself very well? He's one of the blokes who does as he's instructed and is thankfull for my input too. I'm pleased for him because I also know how difficult it has been for him.

I'm off for a walk, it's a bit hot at the moment 5.15pm still 32C and a hot northerly wind blowing, don't fancy riding the bike today.

Catch yer round?TBC

hi there, well we do seem to be getting our knickers in a twist, i did think that when we were all tossed of the ES board and lim started this site it was for the good of the sport.. maybe we all are a bit big headed i know it all and nothing, else except ride until u drop dead. ie miles, miles, miles and more miles.. **** i must be a narrow minded tunnel vision rider, i do know that if i rested more, stopped drinking 1 bottle of wine a day, cleaning the bike, spending our kids inheritance on expencive bike stuff i would be a better "all round man". i sometimes look at these modern day training plans.. 15 mins stretching/15 mins push ups/15 mins thinking/15 mins spinning/15kms on the king cycle the 15 ks on the road.. then blokes like CB ride the TDF and do 56kms plus in the hour on this type of training... were did i go wrong... must have been 4 years of club runs on 59 fixed (11to14years old) and got mi ear ole clipped if i passed the club run leader on a sunday morning..i do think fred c and bc should keep to the spirit of this board, and please no boxing/rugby/and how good DD is ( to me is not ) bon courage.

Paris-Nice is almost upon us - Col D'Eze and the like.
Weather could play a factor in it.
I believe Mr Armstrong has decided to give it a go.

Live cycling - great to see it back on the TV.

limerickman said:

According to my source DD is back for the whole of the 2005 season, apart from one blip (unreported elsewhere). So the campaign for his reinstatement worked due to the persistance and diligence of his supporters, to which he says "Thank you everybody, it was so thoughtful and nice to be well thought of".
ES were shocked by the response against their decision to axe DD
That's the beauty of DD, he cuts across areas and appeals to all, he traps the viewer into the greater picture that he paints.
Now about that blip, I've started work on it.
I wish that I could tell you the whole story.

What about the MMB one? Mike Smith was dope tested this morning and found to be negative for brains.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, well we do seem to be getting our knickers in a twist, i did think that when we were all tossed of the ES board and lim started this site it was for the good of the sport.. maybe we all are a bit big headed i know it all and nothing, else except ride until u drop dead. ie miles, miles, miles and more miles.. **** i must be a narrow minded tunnel vision rider, i do know that if i rested more, stopped drinking 1 bottle of wine a day, cleaning the bike, spending our kids inheritance on expencive bike stuff i would be a better "all round man". i sometimes look at these modern day training plans.. 15 mins stretching/15 mins push ups/15 mins thinking/15 mins spinning/15kms on the king cycle the 15 ks on the road.. then blokes like CB ride the TDF and do 56kms plus in the hour on this type of training... were did i go wrong... must have been 4 years of club runs on 59 fixed (11to14years old) and got mi ear ole clipped if i passed the club run leader on a sunday morning..i do think fred c and bc should keep to the spirit of this board, and please no boxing/rugby/and how good DD is ( to me is not ) bon courage.
CB was no mug on the road, he put all the groundwork in as a club rider with the North Wirral Velo. He did all his high mileage, and was a success at all disciplines, and was in the main looked after by the great Eddie Soens. No pro rider can sit about doing 15mins of this that and the other while his mates are slogging in 5hrs a day.
He was a great rider, and has a lot to offer now that he has retired.
I don't believe you can short circuit training methods even today, perhaps there are a few extra twiddly bits. LA bangs in 6hrs a day, so nothing has changed.
I am all for the spirit of the board by the way, it's just that BC rambles on as though it is sweet sickly Australian version of ' The Waltons'. G'nite BRF Bob, g'nite Limbob, sleep tight young Philbob.

bikeriderfrance said:

G'day BRF you didn't get it wrong at all mate, you did the same as most of our era, there was no other way, do the miles and end up with the smiles is what our club captain used to say he was right too, I looked up to him as though he was God like status.

However having said that today it's all different, I don't go along with the mumbo jumbo of stretching and all the other stuff. However I do believe on cross training and have always done that myself, running plus 4Bx it works for me. The other stuff is talked about a lot today and if you don't give that an airing at a meeting or a coaching session then your credibility regarding the knowledge of how to get it going and ride better and faster is brought into question.

As far as spending the kids inheritance is concerned, don't worry about that either, if you and I dropped dead tomorrow they would get by and make their way just as we have had to do. My old Father had nothing and left me nothing, all I have is what we (my Wife and I ) have earned by honest toil, it's the only way we know how to do things.

Like a lot of folk I too take out a ticket in the lottery each week but it's only the price of a couple of cups of coffee, one never know's what's around the corner or how lady luck will smile.

Apart from that I too was under the impression this was a cycling forum but my credibilty has been brought into question on more than one occassion by F, I have the right to defend myself too if it's sickly walton's then hard cheddar.

Life here for me is just what I say it is, I'm so incredibley lucky it does make a lot of people sick, I've always maintained a very positive attitude in every thing I've ever done and it is that that makes life good not only for me but anyone who has the same attitude, that's not rocket science either?

Fred doesn't need to keep sniping at anyone, he is a very quick wit, I enjoy some of the stuff he post's and I bear no animostity towards him but he ain't met me and will probably never met me either. I consider that a shame for both of us because I know a lot of very good people around this world of ours who I still call friends.

This may well be one of my last post's till later in the year, for obvious reason's, I'll be away from May till July anyway and I've got a swag of work that has come in over the course of the past week that has to be taken care of because of my absence.

Good luck BRF with the first event, I'm convinced you'll kick jelly there, you've done the miles, just enjoy the smiles, winners are always grinners?

Just before I go, I got a phone call from one of our other club riders last night telling me Nic "ONLY" took Silver in the sprint, he was beaten 2 to 1, however in the scratch event over ten klms he kept on attacking over the course of the thirty laps and went for it half a lap from the bell and won by almost half a lap to take the Gold.

All this boils down to the fact Nic's a stayer rather than a sprinter, but he at least had the get up and go to try his hand in all event's, he's more than happy with his results, his kids are happy for Dad, so's his Wife.

Catch yer round?TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
This may well be one of my last post's till later in the year, for obvious reason's, I'll be away from May till July anyway and I've got a swag of work that has come in over the course of the past week that has to be taken care of because of my absence.
Phewww, that's a relief. Any chance of you making it 2009?
Now listen, when you come over here and use the www.eurosport.com site message board you could be in a bit of trouble because you are restricted to 1000 letters and spaces. You won't be able to punch stuff in that is the length of War and Peace.

FredC said:
Phewww, that's a relief. Any chance of you making it 2009?
Now listen, when you come over here and use the www.eurosport.com site message board you could be in a bit of trouble because you are restricted to 1000 letters and spaces. You won't be able to punch stuff in that is the length of War and Peace.

G'day Fred, I'll bear that in mind, however I'll probably have to go to one of those internet cafe' places as none of my relatives own a "New Fangled Device". Most still live in the 20th century?

War and Peace now that is a good read, I've just been given a book (old one ) called "Stoker's Submarine" by Fred & Elizabeth Brenchley, I'm informed it's a good true storey, courage and Australia's involvement at the Gallipoli Peninsula, via a submarine.

Apart from that, as a famous general who came to Oz during the second world war, plus "BIG ARNY" of course, once said, "I'LL BE BACK"?

Good luck with eurosport, I'll endeavour to get a look during the time in the old country?

Catch yer round? TBC

Hi

Seeing that its the school holidays this weekk I was hoping to get in a lot of training this week, but it seems that the weather has turned on me, once again. It's like a blizzard out side, everywheres snowed down, and frozen thick in ice.

Well, theres always tomorrow.

Also, there is a national youth circuit championship race at Eastway soon, shall I give it a shot? I am going to ask Jeff too.

Cheers Phil

philhudson said:
Hi

Well, theres always tomorrow.

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil, errr..according to the MET office tomorrow and the next day and the next day is the same for you guys.

Snow and blizzards...:D

We're basking in sunshine up here in W Scotland....-5 windchill but sunny nontheless.

Makes a change, we got a real battering this winter.