Xes - Message Board

FredC said:
Well he did go and watch the rugger. That's 120 down, but excusable, he should have rode there and back.

Yes, I should have cycled to Landsdowne Raod (128 miles) and back (another
128 miles) !

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, yes i watched the match trouble WAS eire had 16 players on the pitch, 2 tries not allowed, dodgy hands on the ball penalty's and lots more... they were alowed to fight it out with no ref to tell them off... i know about south african ref's, they are still fighting the boer war... bon courage.

Biker - you forgot to mention that the England Hooker, Steve Thompson played very well for us too !

FredC said:
Hey old man he's got to to start his palmares somewhere, so let him get it right from the start. Who wants to be called somebody who doesn't exist, he's worked hard for that you miserable old sod.
The season is thankfully starting up again. Now here's a story of deceit of licensing for racing. When I was 15 I rode under the name of someone else in the regional junior championships (16-18 only) won the team prize two years on the trot. My sons seen the cup. As I progressed under this name, I eventually used my own real name beteen times.
No problem with that but a person who shall be nameless never bothered to call me anything but pokerpete.
When I had done with racing at the best level in Europe that I could achieve I used to see a lot of this person socially on a bike, and he always called me 'Oakley'. I tackled him about this after a lot of time and he knew my duel identity. Let's have it right, he could have got me scrubbed out at the time.
That's what friends are for...because I know all about him anyway.

Well I hope that you weren't operating under the name John McAnus !

The old tricks though were played over here as well.
You had guys racing under several names : Dave O'Connell is Daithi O Connaill
in Irish.
He used both names and used to win using both names !

I think they call it multiple personality disorder.

limerickman said:
Well I hope that you weren't operating under the name John McAnus !

The old tricks though were played over here as well.
You had guys racing under several names : Dave O'Connell is Daithi O Connaill
in Irish.
He used both names and used to win using both names !

I think they call it multiple personality disorder.
I might have that now, but I looked upon it as a means of impatient progression through the ranks. Jasus, I could tell a few stories. Of course my French licence was OK but I changed my first name for obvious reasons. The last, and the best is reserved for Australia. There are only five people in the world know about this one.
Now that one is a mind bender.

limerickman said:
Yes, I should have cycled to Landsdowne Raod (128 miles) and back (another
128 miles) !
That ol' black magics got me in his spell. dum di diddly dum, no tailwind back home.

FredC said:
I might have that now, but I looked upon it as a means of impatient progression through the ranks. Jasus, I could tell a few stories. Of course my French licence was OK but I changed my first name for obvious reasons. The last, and the best is reserved for Australia. There are only five people in the world know about this one.
Now that one is a mind bender.

Want to make it six??? :D

Bonjour, everyone. Fred, did you scare Brian away?

Arm is still being a bit stupid but I managed three rides last week. Sailor Boy is away this week and I've been on a course so training has been hard (good opportunity to rest my arm for a few days though).

It's been so beautiful in the early mornings, about 14 degrees C with almost no wind. :)

Miss Meow said:

Bonjour, everyone. Fred, did you scare Brian away?

Arm is still being a bit stupid but I managed three rides last week. Sailor Boy is away this week and I've been on a course so training has been hard (good opportunity to rest my arm for a few days though).

It's been so beautiful in the early mornings, about 14 degrees C with almost no wind. :)
Hows your arm doing? Did you have a Cortisone or ATP jab, have you seen a Physio?
We don't believe in comfrey and witchiti grub soup any more.
Who's Brian by the way?
I was going to go to Melbourne a long long time ago, anyway the Australian Emmigration board said the weather was like it was in rainy Manchester. So that was the end of that.
I'd love to tell everyone about the story of the Australian Licence Scam, but I daren't because of who it involved.

FredC said:
Hey old man he's got to to start his palmares somewhere, so let him get it right from the start. Who wants to be called somebody who doesn't exist, he's worked hard for that you miserable old sod.
The season is thankfully starting up again. Now here's a story of deceit of licensing for racing. When I was 15 I rode under the name of someone else in the regional junior championships (16-18 only) won the team prize two years on the trot. My sons seen the cup. As I progressed under this name, I eventually used my own real name beteen times.
No problem with that but a person who shall be nameless never bothered to call me anything but pokerpete.
When I had done with racing at the best level in Europe that I could achieve I used to see a lot of this person socially on a bike, and he always called me 'Oakley'. I tackled him about this after a lot of time and he knew my duel identity. Let's have it right, he could have got me scrubbed out at the time.
That's what friends are for...because I know all about him anyway.
oh that is naughty, but i rode an event once, the red rose grand prix, i was not down on the entry list, but my mate in the club who had the same surname but different prenon had entered, he could not ride because he ad the flue... i just tirned up with the rest of the team signed on and away we went...tough over the snake that year... do you remember harry hall's mini overloaded with bikes an wheels... no need to tell em who i was, they knew. bon courage... by the way WHO or WHAT is BC ?????????:cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
oh that is naughty, but i rode an event once, the red rose grand prix, i was not down on the entry list, but my mate in the club who had the same surname but different prenon had entered, he could not ride because he ad the flue... i just tirned up with the rest of the team signed on and away we went...tough over the snake that year... do you remember harry hall's mini overloaded with bikes an wheels... no need to tell em who i was, they knew. bon courage... by the way WHO or WHAT is BC ?????????:cool:
yes a follow on, mi dad rest his sole, decided that at 15 i was good enough to ride the junior road races, so we applied for a licence and popped down that i was 16,i duly got mi licence, but in the same post came a letter from the bcf stating that i had been picked to ride a 3 day international SCHOOLBOY event in belguim,,, ****, mi dad went down to the local bcf bloke and told him there had been a mistake i was only 15,,,,,, no problem the guy said with a nod and a wink,, good job mi dad had a few bob.... see ya bon courage.:cool:

Miss Meow said:

Arm is still being a bit stupid but I managed three rides last week. Sailor Boy is away this week and I've been on a course so training has been hard (good opportunity to rest my arm for a few days though). :)
What on earth are we supposed to read into this posting, it was a good and decent site until you started with these innuendos Tut Tut. I remember a schoolmalmy looking girl who decided to take on every male cyclist she ever met, you weren't born in Surrey by any chance? (AI)
Brf, Lim, and I will train you, and you will pleased to know that none of us grow comfrey.
All together now for the sing song,
All the nice girls love a sailor.....for you know what sailors are.

bikeriderfrance said:
I think you got away with murder on that one. We had Bowyer, Pick(yer nose)burn, and Jim Pat running the prison camps then. Jesus, they hated us, always did. Nobody ever saw a bottle of Red Rose ale from the sponsors because Pickburn and Bowyer had it all at home. I liked that race when it was on the Millstone Circuit near the Brewery. Mind you they were still snaffling the Ale, Al Mellor found them out.
Harry Hall, don't like him, never did. Some of the strokes he pulled were beyond belief. When Jim Carson died, a great clubman all his life, HH and hundreds of others went to the service. Most of them blanked HH, he was never liked, and his bollacks about TS are beyond comprehension. That's probably why he is not liked because he's a bleedin' liar as well.
I can do stories about him when he had the shop up Hyde Road and Pete(Twitter) Edwards worked there for peanuts, the other names don't mean much to other people on this board. Dave(the monkey) McMullen (Gan), Bryan Edwards( Vsug-Vogel) Germany. Derek Harrison.

FredC said:
What on earth are we supposed to read into this posting, it was a good and decent site until you started with these innuendos Tut Tut. I remember a schoolmalmy looking girl who decided to take on every male cyclist she ever met, you weren't born in Surrey by any chance? (AI)
Brf, Lim, and I will train you, and you will pleased to know that none of us grow comfrey.
All together now for the sing song,
All the nice girls love a sailor.....for you know what sailors are.

*blush* Why don't I ever see the innuendo until you point it out? I still think you are the one with the overactive imagination.

No cortisone as the actual joint is now OK. It's more in the muscly bit of the forearm, I assume from road impact from cycling (there, no innuendo!) But, I hear a new physio in town is a bit of a ***** (worth the $48 my friend's mother said today) so I might go and see what the fuss is about and have my arm checked at the same time.

PS I tried the comfrey but appear to be allergic to it. Damn happy hippy cures.

Hi

Off to France tomorrow, an early start of 4:45. Got my self a livestong band.

And my name was in Cyclng Weekly, and spelt right!

Cheers Phil

philhudson said:
Hi

Off to France tomorrow, an early start of 4:45. Got my self a livestong band.

And my name was in Cyclng Weekly, and spelt right!

Cheers Phil
Have a nice time then, watch out for those Germans though.
Keep a scrapbook, I did, but my brother set fire to the bikeshed, no bikes in it but it had all the solvents and engineering bits in it. Never mind, I still duffed him up. I had to build another. Which reminds me, do you own a spanner?
What do want a livestrong band for?
Buy some unpasturised cheese to bring home. It's very tasty. You can buy it in any supermarche.
Can I come with you lot as interperator?

Miss Meow said:
*blush* Why don't I ever see the innuendo until you point it out? I still think you are the one with the overactive imagination.

No cortisone as the actual joint is now OK. It's more in the muscly bit of the forearm, I assume from road impact from cycling (there, no innuendo!) But, I hear a new physio in town is a bit of a ***** (worth the $48 my friend's mother said today) so I might go and see what the fuss is about and have my arm checked at the same time.

PS I tried the comfrey but appear to be allergic to it. Damn happy hippy cures.
Mmmmm, I suppose you have to check these things out, especially when some old girl is the recommend, on the other hand....... Get Down early, there might be a big queue.

FredC said:
That ol' black magics got me in his spell. dum di diddly dum, no tailwind back home.

Very very observant.

128 miles this way to Dublin, is fine.
Nice tailwind.

Going back the other way - a very different story, my friend.
You can add another 1-2 hours on, for the same distance.

limerickman said:
Very very observant.

128 miles this way to Dublin, is fine.
Nice tailwind.

Going back the other way - a very different story, my friend.
You can add another 1-2 hours on, for the same distance.
You can't fool an old racing pigeon about the sun in the sky, the wind, and direction of the mental compass. You learn from years of experience, after all get it wrong and you ride longer to get home. Not learn't in books. I did learn a few tricks from the Dutch riders about clouds and wind directions.
Never mind, I'm a gonner now. I see the wind, and I can assimilate it down at BRF's place, it's all part of game. Geography, never did it for GCE.

Went down to the local club tonight to help with the training.

Just going off topic slightly - it's still bloody freezing here.
It was about 1 or 2 Celsius but with that breeze.............

Anyway, after the great debate about pedalling and "the method", one of the juniors came up to me and said that he tried what I had suggested and hey presto, he was able to cycle away last weekend for hours using 40x17, rather than bursting his bollox trying to drive a 52x13.

One of the so-called coaches took exception to this mini-rebellion and started
having a go at me about "interfering with his strategy", no less !
I suggested to the person concerned that perhaps, just perhaps, it might be in the younsters interests to train their bodies to pedal, rather than trying to get them to "do an Ullrich".

My opponent blew a fuse.
"sure what would you know about modern training, anyway, you're too long out of cycling to................", followed.

I told him that he didn't know the first thing about coaching and that the youngsters needed guiding and not lectures about the latest fad that happened to in vogue.
I told him that it was pointless to expect anyone, least of all 14-17 y.o's
to be pedalling 52x??????.
I told him that pedalling at 52x17 at 75rpms and being dead after an hour
(18.2 miles) was pointless, whereas using 39x17 at 95rpms and being able to hold that for hours, was more beneficial at this stage.
Ended up having to do distance in inches calculations to prove the point - on a piece of paper in a freezing carpark.

I hope that coaching standards are better elsewhere.
I despair for youngsters who are being told about "big gears".
I've offered to invite them to view some of the old video footage of Roche - to show them how to pedal using light gears (show them LA as well).

FredC said:
You can't fool an old racing pigeon about the sun in the sky, the wind, and direction of the mental compass. You learn from years of experience, after all get it wrong and you ride longer to get home. Not learn't in books. I did learn a few tricks from the Dutch riders about clouds and wind directions.
Never mind, I'm a gonner now. I see the wind, and I can assimilate it down at BRF's place, it's all part of game. Geography, never did it for GCE.

I've got to go to Dublin this weekend for the Irish Cycling Federation meeting.
I will no doubt be talking to Pat Mc "are you in the market for a second hand car, I just picked up" McQuaid, and Peter Crinnion.
Any messages for them ?
I will tell McQuaid about Charlie Callan and that bottle of pernod, he owes him.
(Charlie Callon is the right name ???).

I read the McQuaid interview on www.cyclingnews.com.
Cyclingnews would have been better off interviewing the black setter in the photo with Pat !
I despair, he comes out with same oul' waffle.
The setter would have told us something original, at least.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2005/interviews/?id=pat_mcquaid05_1

limerickman said:
Went down to the local club tonight to help with the training.

Just going off topic slightly - it's still bloody freezing here.
It was about 1 or 2 Celsius but with that breeze.............

Anyway, after the great debate about pedalling and "the method", one of the juniors came up to me and said that he tried what I had suggested and hey presto, he was able to cycle away last weekend for hours using 40x17, rather than bursting his bollox trying to drive a 52x13.

One of the so-called coaches took exception to this mini-rebellion and started
having a go at me about "interfering with his strategy", no less !
I suggested to the person concerned that perhaps, just perhaps, it might be in the younsters interests to train their bodies to pedal, rather than trying to get them to "do an Ullrich".

My opponent blew a fuse.
"sure what would you know about modern training, anyway, you're too long out of cycling to................", followed.

I told him that he didn't know the first thing about coaching and that the youngsters needed guiding and not lectures about the latest fad that happened to in vogue.
I told him that it was pointless to expect anyone, least of all 14-17 y.o's
to be pedalling 52x??????.
I told him that pedalling at 52x17 at 75rpms and being dead after an hour
(18.2 miles) was pointless, whereas using 39x17 at 95rpms and being able to hold that for hours, was more beneficial at this stage.
Ended up having to do distance in inches calculations to prove the point - on a piece of paper in a freezing carpark.

I hope that coaching standards are better elsewhere.
I despair for youngsters who are being told about "big gears".
I've offered to invite them to view some of the old video footage of Roche - to show them how to pedal using light gears (show them LA as well).
Well done Lim, a man after mi own heart. Hopefully the youngster will help get the message through to his mates that he can ride comfortably all day. More on this post tomorrow.