Xes - Message Board

FredC said:
It is good news that there are some new additions to be shown on ES, but I'm sure that we will lose some good races as well.
I've just had an e-mail from Francois Picard. Nothing doing on the board situation, his hands are tied. I suggested that they should go back to the old system at least because it helps the commentators infil when nothings going on, and secondly, we like it.
I think it's a bloody disgrace.
HOW DO WE GET EUROSPORT 2 ...THEY HAVE dh DOING THE tirreno-Adriatico (Italie) ....IS IT CABLE.. I HAVE TRIED TO GET THE SAT INFO FROM THE es SITE BUT...I SEE AND HEAR OLD DUFFERS IS STILL NOT ABLE TO RECONIZE RIDERS, WITH ALL HIS TIME SPENT IN THE GAME, HE IS TOTALLY USELESS. SEAN GETS IT RIGHT TELLS HIM AND DUFFERS GIVES ONE OF HIS LAME EXCUSES.. NO MENTION OF THE MS ........ BON COURAGE..

bikeriderfrance said:
HOW DO WE GET EUROSPORT 2 ...THEY HAVE dh DOING THE tirreno-Adriatico (Italie) ....IS IT CABLE.. I HAVE TRIED TO GET THE SAT INFO FROM THE es SITE BUT...I SEE AND HEAR OLD DUFFERS IS STILL NOT ABLE TO RECONIZE RIDERS, WITH ALL HIS TIME SPENT IN THE GAME, HE IS TOTALLY USELESS. SEAN GETS IT RIGHT TELLS HIM AND DUFFERS GIVES ONE OF HIS LAME EXCUSES.. NO MENTION OF THE MS ........ BON COURAGE..
MS SHOULD READ MESSAGE BOARD..:p :eek: :cool:

FredC said:
We can't have the new president of the UCI painted whiter than white. Otherwise the Pope will turn him into a saint while he is still alive. Oh yes, and the McQuaid bridge over the Liffey.
HI THERE.. " HE WHO CASTS THE FIRST STONE " BON COURAGE.

bikeriderfrance said:
I see what you mean about ES2, it was on the LHS menu yesterday but it's not there now. ES2 is available throughout Europe. I waiting for a call back from Ben at ESuk to sort it out for you.

FredC said:
I see what you mean about ES2, it was on the LHS menu yesterday but it's not there now. ES2 is available throughout Europe. I waiting for a call back from Ben at ESuk to sort it out for you.
Right, sorted. Go to the normal opening cycling page, on the top left click on ES.com look down the LHS on the orange menu and you should see ES2

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, well what a weekend, set of to the race 140 kms away, after about 80ks i heard a big swiiiiiiiiiiish in the back of the car, my new front tube, in my new tyre, on my new wheels , had self distructed... **** no spares so i had to try and find a shop open (what in FR on a sunday).. a quick trip around narbonne found a shop/garage. chambre d'air, not on your nellie, BUT a puncture repair outfit.. jumped in the car shot off to the control.. quick mend of tube and away we go.. well errrr no, i was 15 mins late, the race had started.. ****, but there was another race within 1 hour, yes you've guessed the 1st/ 2nd cat race.... well what could i do, 140kms to go home, not me... well to cut a 80kms race which was run in a blizzard TRUE, i won the big bunch sprint in front of about 50 blokes, and was 2nd 1st cat rider...the veterans who i race with looked on in dismay. they need to, i am riding with them next week..still must be doing something right.... but that sprint great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh 3000 kms ytd.. as well bon courage

That's good going BRF - well done.

I can only get ES1 - taped todays Paris-Nice.
Nice crash in the last 10kms.

Boonen did well in the sprint.

I liked todays commentary - very concise.

Weather looks cold over there - doesn't it ?
Duffers said it was only 6 degrees today - looked pretty bleak.

I don;t have ES2 - DH is off to Italy on his holidays - nice trip.

FredC said:
Well done Lim, a man after mi own heart. Hopefully the youngster will help get the message through to his mates that he can ride comfortably all day. More on this post tomorrow.
*********** Lim, things are worse than I thought regarding coaching in Eire. I've been reading some stuff on 'Irishcycling' by Padraig Marrey. He wants to start again with training methods and basic coaching for all riders. Looks a though he wants all the old gits to muck in with their local clubs. Should be interesting trying to stop these bad coaches continuing in their wicked ways.
Vote Padraig for next UCI President!

FredC said:
*********** Lim, things are worse than I thought regarding coaching in Eire. I've been reading some stuff on 'Irishcycling' by Padraig Marrey. He wants to start again with training methods and basic coaching for all riders. Looks a though he wants all the old gits to muck in with their local clubs. Should be interesting trying to stop these bad coaches continuing in their wicked ways.
Vote Padraig for next UCI President!

Paddy Marrey used to train Mark Scanlon - I think
He's out in the west of Ireland around the Sligo area.

Well if the Limerick Cycling Club is anything to go by, I think the more old gits the better.
It's all 52x???????? these days, Fred.
Sure if it works for Ullrich and Indurain - it's gotta work for 14 y.o Sean O' Malley riding his Esker, shouldn't it ?!?!

FredC said:
Right, sorted. Go to the normal opening cycling page, on the top left click on ES.com look down the LHS on the orange menu and you should see ES2
ES 2 found it, its part of sky sport on astra 2/3/4 28.6 e...and scrambled so unable to get it.. dam that murdock bandit:mad: ... bon courage.:cool: ps its getting warmer ..

bikeriderfrance said:
ES 2 found it, its part of sky sport on astra 2/3/4 28.6 e...and scrambled so unable to get it.. dam that murdock bandit:mad: ... bon courage.:cool: ps its getting warmer ..
Well done last weekend, was that race in Spain or near Montpellier? What's wrong with tubs instead of wired ons in bad conditions, they have more flexibility and grip from the sidewalls. I must be behind the times these days, but I know what I trust.
You might blame Murdoch for the latest scenario, but Berlesconi from Italy messed it up for years so that we couldn't watch the best Italian races. I'm pleased it's getting warmer down there. About bloody time, but you've already got the miles in. Make hay while the sun shines.

FredC said:
Well done last weekend, was that race in Spain or near Montpellier? What's wrong with tubs instead of wired ons in bad conditions, they have more flexibility and grip from the sidewalls. I must be behind the times these days, but I know what I trust.
You might blame Murdoch for the latest scenario, but Berlesconi from Italy messed it up for years so that we couldn't watch the best Italian races. I'm pleased it's getting warmer down there. About bloody time, but you've already got the miles in. Make hay while the sun shines.
hi there. yes i have never been 100% with these so called "clinchers" horrid "us of a" word that just crept in like "drafting", thats when i stopped buying CW, remember all those stupid bike reviews/tests from jumped up no hopers,,, it was awfull, where did they get em from,,,, i have just been given 12 months of back issue of CW (2004),, must say the change is for the better..i digress. yes was tempted to buy a pair of sprints, but i guess i just use whats the going thing at the moment,, still you can always mend a innertube "on site" as i did....oh but that luverly swish from hard silks on the tarmac, it was worth a couple of minutes in a 25....i remeber yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnnn.

yes its just a few degrees warmer, i am doing my 3 cols run tomorow, col de vives, 6kms, col du borne michelin 5kms, and the col de bressoules about 3kms, may just do the col B/M in reverse as well on the way back,,, its a quick 5 k climb, not steep you can do it in 53x22.. great fun down the other side as well as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!! see ya soon bon courage... ps DD said M/SR is on ES...going to bed now

bikeriderfrance said:
HI THERE.. " HE WHO CASTS THE FIRST STONE " BON COURAGE.
No stones BRF, only a bit of mud slinging to see what the reaction would be.
Of course he was bound to forget it, and no doubt other twiddly bits as well.
Selective Amnesia is the name of the game. After all he is up for the most prestigious administration position in our world of cycling. I have no doubt at all that Pat realises the malevolence of the press vis a vis his future position.
We were only having a bit of internal fun between ourselves. As usual matters will not be published elsewhere.

limerickman said:
Paddy Marrey used to train Mark Scanlon - I think
He's out in the west of Ireland around the Sligo area.

Well if the Limerick Cycling Club is anything to go by, I think the more old gits the better.
It's all 52x???????? these days, Fred.
Sure if it works for Ullrich and Indurain - it's gotta work for 14 y.o Sean O' Malley riding his Esker, shouldn't it ?!?!
I would like to be a bit more active in the game, but I am physically goosed. Most would concur that that has also occurred mentally.
Never mind, I've seen worse cases. Put a tax on outer rings larger than 50.
For the life of me I don't understand the sensible gear racing restrictions, and then they all try to start up the QEII off the quayside with spindly legs and 53x11.

FredC said:
I would like to be a bit more active in the game, but I am physically goosed. Most would concur that that has also occurred mentally.
Never mind, I've seen worse cases. Put a tax on outer rings larger than 50.
For the life of me I don't understand the sensible gear racing restrictions, and then they all try to start up the QEII off the quayside with spindly legs and 53x11.

Just back from tonights training session.

Well it wasn't a training session because I asked my man in the archives to
get out the Roche tapes and I brought them along tonight to the University, where we had arranged a viewing for the youngsters, of stage 22, 1987
TDF, La Plagne to Morzine.

The reaction ?
God smacked.
Total and utter disbelief.

Had the tapes from the 1987 season.
The sequences in the Alps show Roche pedalling along - he's rustling in his back pocket and takes out some food in a wrapper.
Stop the tape.
Asked the younsters to tell me what they saw.
Couple of wise cracks about Roche's jersey and their sisters jeans (Carerra).
Told them to look at the image more closely.
One lad spotted it - the angle of Roche to the mountain range in the background.
Roche is going up a step, step climb.

Rolled the film forward : Roche has one hand on the bars and the other hand moves toward his mouth and he tears the wrapper with his teeth.
The camera moves down, and his legs are going. Fluid. Rythmic.
We get an 8 second shot of this legs and the chainring.
He's pedalling at 92rpm using the inner ring - looked like a 42.

But the big surprise is the position of the chain on the rear casette, as the camera pans back toward the rear cassette.
It's virtually at the top (lightest gear).
The camera pans back up and Roche is relaxed, looking round, chewing on his food, Graceful. Not flustered.
The lads could not believe it.
They simply couldn't believe how relaxed and fluid Roche was - given the steepness of the gradient and the cadence.

Roll the film on to finish : Chozas wins.
Roche pedalling toward the line using a 53 (?) but still only using 15 or 17
on the rear cassette.
They're on the flat - Roches style is fluid - we get a 6 sec shot of his cadence - 97rpm.
But it's the fluidity of his stroke - it's smooth.

The reaction of the youngsters and some of the coaches (early 30's) was
disbelief.
The youngsters I can understand - brought up on a diet of Indurain and Ullrich it's understandable that 55/56 chainrings are the vogue.
The coaches though - who actually encourage this non-sense of people "having" to pedal 55/56 chainrings are plain wrong.
Now they've seen one of their own win the biggest race there is - using light gears, it might persuade them.

it got a good reception - all in all.
I have suggested to them that they ought to concentrate on getting increases in cadences rather than gear ratios.
We'll see how it fairs.

limerickman said:
Just back from tonights training session.

Well it wasn't a training session because I asked my man in the archives to
get out the Roche tapes and I brought them along tonight to the University, where we had arranged a viewing for the youngsters, of stage 22, 1987
TDF, La Plagne to Morzine.

The reaction ?
God smacked.
Total and utter disbelief.

Had the tapes from the 1987 season.
The sequences in the Alps show Roche pedalling along - he's rustling in his back pocket and takes out some food in a wrapper.
Stop the tape.
Asked the younsters to tell me what they saw.
Couple of wise cracks about Roche's jersey and their sisters jeans (Carerra).
Told them to look at the image more closely.
One lad spotted it - the angle of Roche to the mountain range in the background.
Roche is going up a step, step climb.

Rolled the film forward : Roche has one hand on the bars and the other hand moves toward his mouth and he tears the wrapper with his teeth.
The camera moves down, and his legs are going. Fluid. Rythmic.
We get an 8 second shot of this legs and the chainring.
He's pedalling at 92rpm using the inner ring - looked like a 42.

But the big surprise is the position of the chain on the rear casette, as the camera pans back toward the rear cassette.
It's virtually at the top (lightest gear).
The camera pans back up and Roche is relaxed, looking round, chewing on his food, Graceful. Not flustered.
The lads could not believe it.
They simply couldn't believe how relaxed and fluid Roche was - given the steepness of the gradient and the cadence.

Roll the film on to finish : Chozas wins.
Roche pedalling toward the line using a 53 (?) but still only using 15 or 17
on the rear cassette.
They're on the flat - Roches style is fluid - we get a 6 sec shot of his cadence - 97rpm.
But it's the fluidity of his stroke - it's smooth.

The reaction of the youngsters and some of the coaches (early 30's) was
disbelief.
The youngsters I can understand - brought up on a diet of Indurain and Ullrich it's understandable that 55/56 chainrings are the vogue.
The coaches though - who actually encourage this non-sense of people "having" to pedal 55/56 chainrings are plain wrong.
Now they've seen one of their own win the biggest race there is - using light gears, it might persuade them.

it got a good reception - all in all.
I have suggested to them that they ought to concentrate on getting increases in cadences rather than gear ratios.
We'll see how it fairs.
That's the stuff to give the troops. HEROES to copy.

FredC said:
That's the stuff to give the troops. HEROES to copy.

Told the lads that they can substitute SR for Armstrong, Jalabert - they've got
great cadences as well.

Just watched P-N on tape there - not many many guys there, pushing 42x17's.
Expect that they wanted to get in from the cold (and boy did it look cold there
today).

limerickman said:
Told the lads that they can substitute SR for Armstrong, Jalabert - they've got
great cadences as well.

Just watched P-N on tape there - not many many guys there, pushing 42x17's.
Expect that they wanted to get in from the cold (and boy did it look cold there
today).
Day disrupted along with the teams plans, shitty weather, all wrapped up for winter training. The riders would have been warm enough but they won't chance a bit of ice on the road. There's always tomorrow, but then again there's always someone who wants to win today.
Cadence? where's Souplesse gone to? Americans ****ing it up again. Is there no end to this hijacking?

FredC said:
Day disrupted along with the teams plans, shitty weather, all wrapped up for winter training. The riders would have been warm enough but they won't chance a bit of ice on the road. There's always tomorrow, but then again there's always someone who wants to win today.
Cadence? where's Souplesse gone to? Americans ****ing it up again. Is there no end to this hijacking?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: hi there, just a quickie, done mi 3cols ride this morning ,infact it was so good today, WARM, i banged in another one, top of the col de Vives i turned right and went up another 8kms to a place called tiallet, then down 14 ks to the bottom of the col de borne Michlien.. i then rode up to arles le tech , turned round and back to le boulou over the B/M again,,, and for the 1st time this year in 53x22.... **** the weather is now getting a lot better,, damm wind is still blowing though... watched the P/N,, yes those guys are ALL on 53x 12/13/14/, even up that big hill they were all on the big ring... BUT what a lot of no hopers forget is that, when you get into trouble, the pedalers can allways go back to BASICS and pedal out of trouble... you see it all the time in the big tours,, star men sat quietly in the bunch pedaling away not PUSHING....to us lot,, saying this is like telling granny how to cook eggs,, we know,,, do the rest,,, and today do they "WANT" to know.. bon courage.:cool: :cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, well what a weekend, set of to the race 140 kms away, after about 80ks i heard a big swiiiiiiiiiiish in the back of the car, my new front tube, in my new tyre, on my new wheels , had self distructed... **** no spares so i had to try and find a shop open (what in FR on a sunday).. a quick trip around narbonne found a shop/garage. chambre d'air, not on your nellie, BUT a puncture repair outfit.. jumped in the car shot off to the control.. quick mend of tube and away we go.. well errrr no, i was 15 mins late, the race had started.. ****, but there was another race within 1 hour, yes you've guessed the 1st/ 2nd cat race.... well what could i do, 140kms to go home, not me... well to cut a 80kms race which was run in a blizzard TRUE, i won the big bunch sprint in front of about 50 blokes, and was 2nd 1st cat rider...the veterans who i race with looked on in dismay. they need to, i am riding with them next week..still must be doing something right.... but that sprint great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh 3000 kms ytd.. as well bon courage

G'day, BRF, I'm back for a quick visit, got a lot of me work done already, just got a few more to get done/under way, but keep getting e-mails about you lot.

I'm intrigued by the swiiiiiish in the back of the car, dont you bag your wheels for a journey, and don't you deflate them also, or are you one of the lazy sods who put's 9/10 bars in to travel, because they don't want to expend the energy when they get to a race? We have them here?

I gave away singles about twenty years back becuse they're not made for Oz/Queensland conditions.

Explanation: Riding a criterion at Mollindara Circuit Gold Coast and attacked around a L.Hand corner, the back tyre just rolled off, it was only about three weeks old, it left the base tape well and truly glued to the sprint and gave me a lot of greif, burned the skin right througfh to the bone or my left elbow, a patch about a foot square on my left buttock and hip and buggered a brand new wheel as well. I slid for about fifteen metres and it was dry too, fresh laid new bitumen?

The tub in question was a good quality Clement?

Since then I only use "H.P. clinchers"?

When I lived in the old country I used to get my tubs in bulk from a place I think it was called the Dodougne Valley, it was a small company and they did some very good tyres at extremely good prices, a small family concern and they shipped them to me each year in February. I always kept them for a year to mature in the cupboard.

Well done at the race, it looks like your on track for the Masters, keep up the miles, I don't know about the col's though, except that the fresh air is great for the lungs.

Must get back to me graphics, TBC

PS Bite yer bum Fred?