Xes - Message Board

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by limerickman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. FredC

FredC New Member

A bit of good news here. After a lot of toing and froing with ES, and in particular with my dear friend Francois Picard we have a message board back for the Tirr-Adri. OK it's not the new one as promised last autumn, but it's in the old one, and the old system. They'll be keeping a close eye on things and have taken on board a good few of my suggestions to keep off the disruptive critics after the last episode concerning DD. As to it's future use on a continuous daily basis we'll have to wait and see.

2. bikeriderfrance

bikeriderfrance New Member

hi there
    I'm intrigued by the swiiiiiish in the back of the car, dont you bag your wheels for a journey, and don't you deflate them also, or are you one of the lazy sods who put's 9/10 bars in to travel, because they don't want to expend the energy when they get to a race? We have them here? "WHO " have you there may i ask.. i do indeed put my wheels in wheel bags, done that ever since i was a schoolboy, way back 1960.s,, it was the tube which was faulty.. yes i also blow my tyres up to 7/8 bar the morning befrore the race, the reason, i can get there bang em in and go,, no pissing about with pumps and odds and sods asking to borrow it(the pump) "when you have done mate" ,9/10 bars are for very light tubs only , do you know the word sprints and tubs ??WHAT is singles.???.a tub will only lift or pull away from the base tape if it has been WET, or DAMP... it is impossible otherwise. stored in a damp bike shed perhaps??????

yes the cols are there, i do them just for training, but i must say it is quite a sight when you get to the top,, the best bit is going down,, been out this morning,, 3280 kms YTD so far ,,, see ya bon courage.

3. FredC

FredC New Member

Nice to know Phil, what did you think of the cinema in the round?
    So what have you got on the training and racing agenda in the next week or two? I suppose that you have read up on BRF, Lims, and my postings regards pedalling. Do you fancy having a go at that next? It's the right time of year because you will be RACING within the gear rulings for some time to come.
    Well done up to now, may the progression continue.
    BTW the ES board is up and running for the Tirreno-Adriatica, just look at it, and post if you want.
    I'm on there in my real name of pokerpete.

4. FredC

FredC New Member

You lazy sod, I'm ashamed of you, over 400 victories to your credit and this is the way you go about racing. You're a disgrace BRF. I used to get my Penny-Farthings handmade by Isombard Kingdom Brunel, and the metal tyres by Brian Rourkes great grandad. Handmade bespoke Wheels by Shiny Jack of Hebden Bridge, and lights by Percy Shaw of Halifax.
    BTW what's a col? aren't tubs for washing clothes?

5. FredC

FredC New Member

Hello there, do you think that you possibly help an old fool along as I can't be in two places at once?
    Eurosport.com have reopened a message board in the old format for the Tirreno-Adriatica race. Now then if it's not too much trouble for you can you try and locate it and report back as to what you see. I am down as pokerpete, and I will attempt right now to send one of To Miss Meow, so just send one in anyway. Thank you. Now here's a saucer of cream.

6. Brian Cotgrove

Brian Cotgrove New Member

G'day BRF, yes we do, have blokes here who still use "singles", "sprints and tubs" and yes they too inflate them to that sort of pressure just so they say they don't have to dick around at the meet.

As far as the stored in the damp shed is concerned my gear was always under the house. My house here when I lived in East brisbane was bricked in and dry, it's where I used to do my screen printing and was air conditioned as well for onbvious reasons.

The bikes were always locked up in a seperate dry compartment, so there was no chance of it getting damp, the race wheels were seperately bagged too, hanging with probably two bars pressure while stored.

As I said the roll off was a "New Tubular" (three weeks old). ("Single" the term used here to describe a "Tubular") at the time I paid about one hundred sixty dollars for a pair,(1985) the front was OK but the rear let go. When I took it back to "Hoffy Cycles" (the bike shop) Eric the owner, did a bit of phoning around and the rep from "Cycle Sports in Melbourne" replaced it, said it was faulty, as well, they replaced a new back "Sprint" rim (Mavic).

I was always supplied the best and used the best, that's another story too?

My track bike always had schmick silks too (9/10 Bars), our track season is summer time, so it fits in well if you want to ride and compete all year round as I did. A lot of blokes give it away during summer but I loved the racing all year round, as I said, because I could.

The "riding, going down" is the good bit, I agree, the only problem we have here is the idiot's driving up and cutting corners, it can be very frightening, gives one the absolute shits, but these people never ride bikes so they don't know what it's all about?

Catch yer round, have fun TBC

7. philhudson

philhudson New Member

The Cinema was good, very wierd though. Also I now know what hills are!

I couldn't find a race this weekend so ive decided to go training with the club.
    Yet again, any more tips for training?
    How much training do you think that I should be doing?

Also, have got the final Tournament for Rugby this weekend. The 7's counties. We have won this every year since it has started, and must not lose.

Last note, I had a reply from british Cycling saying that they would sort out the results and the rankings, a week later and nothing.

Cheers Phil

8. Miss Meow

Miss Meow New Member

Hi

Not too much trouble. Is it in eurosport.com, eurosport.co.uk or one of the other sites? I tried a few but couldn't see a link to a message board :confused:

Can you try cutting and pasting the URL in here and I'll click on it and try to get in that way?

We had 50 primary school kids on bikes at work yesterday, going for a tour around the base and riding to a camp. Great to see them out so young.

Meow

9. bikeriderfrance

bikeriderfrance New Member

bonjour, all a bit of banter.. BUT the weather here has changed, it was plus 6c when i got up, now its 15c,,, for the last 6 weeks its been -2/3 to +5 and not much else... goody goody.. oh, yes coming down is the best bit,,, we do not have the same problem here, usually i can decends for up to 18/20 k's with NO traffic, ploblem is when a car is coming up,, you get lazy and clip the corners, i use the "vanishing point" tequnique, it works here,, do you know what that is... must go mrs BRF says its time to nip into spain for our 5 course spanish workmans lunch at a little spot we know.. cost with a ltr of the vino del costa under £10/15 euros,, bon courage....ps,, going to buy a DVD player. my petit fille is coming to stay with us and she is bringing her DVD's with her.... what next...

10. FredC

FredC New Member

I don't know how to do cut and paste. Go to eurosport.com from the menu bar choose cycling, this gives an opening news page. Scroll down the LHS until you see message board. There's only one operating at the moment.
    Good luck, I'm useless, I can't tell the difference between 10,1O,I0 andIO.
    Must learn to do cut/paste oneday before I snuff it.

11. FredC

FredC New Member

I hope you had a nice lunch, so here's something to choke on. DH has just announced that MS is doing the Milan-San Remo.

12. FredC

FredC New Member

It's bloody good though, did you find yourself leaning as though the floor was moving, especially when the bombers were flying and you in the middle of the 'plane and the rear gunner was behind you. I'll never forget it. Fantastic. Impressive.

Right back to training, BRF, Lim, and I think that you should stick to riding the gears that you will have to ride in your competition racing. Do that bit first. When you can handle that/or not against the seniors we'll take another look, but stick at it for quite some time, at least 2 months.
    Right, good luck with the Rugby, get that out of the way first.
    There is a general concensus of opinion that the old method of pedalling is beneficial. Of course BRF can tell us what is going on in the South of France, his comments are always of great value to us all, as he is still at the coal-face.

How long is the clubrun on Sunday?

13. FredC

FredC New Member

Hello Lim, I see that Dave Allen has completed his Celtic Circle, I did like him.
    After some consideration I decided to post up on ES of our XES site. I had previously asked on XES for a contribution but nothing so I decided to short circuit any attempt just in case it faltered in order to give ES viewers an opportunity to have some continuity. I know it's a belt and braces approach, but what alternative have we got if ES decide to pull the rug on the whole issue?

14. philhudson

philhudson New Member

I think its about 50 - 60 miles.

15. FredC

FredC New Member

I'm a bit perplexed and confused by your comment about the ES board on another thread (rugger).
    The site has been open all week with DH in charge. No trouble at all, except Fausto, and he got dumped. Zappers on from VA, and Miss Meow from Oz is on after some prompting from me as how to find the site. As are the Poles, and the Ukraine. I'm interested to know why you can't get the ESMB, follow the instructions I gave to Miss Meow.

16. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Hi,

Finished training today, 57miles. Had a nice club buffet after and elected the new president.

I still can't find the ES message board.

Cheers Phil

17. FredC

FredC New Member

First things first, what gears did you ride all day?
    Have you got satellite or cable at home?

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Fred, got a message from one of the Eurosport regulars - still no identity and no password control on ES message board, I understand.
    I said last year that I won't be posting there - until they sort it.

Had a good day today - met Ciaran Power, he's a pro with the US-based Navigators team.

19. FredC

FredC New Member

Unfortunately Lim, this is indeed the case, and looks to be the same for the foreseeable future. Cost constraints is the reason !. Whether you post or not is a volition of principle that only you can address. Most are back on board, apart from Hetchins, BRF chipped in with a couple today. Basically I knew what was coming, and communicated with FP throughout the winter on certain principles. He was in agreement with these 'rules'. It seems to be working, now they have changed their minds as to me be Bernard Manning into a Bernard who went to school. Mount Carmel, Blackley, Manchester. Well we both did, the local university for criminal studies........ Five year olds learn't about stealing prams for the wheels, and basic shoplifting.

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I mailed Jean Luc as well and asked him to consider putting in constraints and I got the same excuse, during the winter.
    I asked MCM to try to use her influence - no go there, either.

A few of us have decided not to go back unless and until they get their act together - but Eurosport won't get their act together.

It'll descend in to chaos over there - and the board will be dropped again.

I deleted Eurosport website address from my favourites list.