Xes - Message Board

FredC said:
I agree its much better training in company for that amount of time, but it has to be done. I used to think of targets, or note the time I would give myself to get to the next mental marker on the road, that seemed to work OK during a lull in the workrate.
Now here's a more serious method of 5 hour training method. Do 4 hours at normal rate and the last hour flat out (if you dare). Then keep increasing the flat out bit weekly.......No forget it......It's too bloody serious.
BRF's views on this should be illuminating, as he mostly trains on his own ( I think). He does set aside his mountain day for a Wednesday normally. Should be interesting to learn his method.
Hey listen Phil, I'll bet BRF's wife has got in more more miles than you, and she only goes shopping.

FredC said:
Les, he only rode as an amateur I'm sure of that. He's the same age as me now.
Last year in one of the vets races Charlie C and Les were riding against each other, Charlie was struggling a bit, and Les rode up to him offering him a shove on this climb. Charlie in his pride told Les to FO, thought about it, then accepted, when they got near the top Les let go and ****** off. That was the last anyone saw of him. When they got back to the changing rooms Les was grinning like a Cheshire cat. Charlie looked at Les and said ' Look Westy you're just a ****, taking the **** like that, your wrecking my reputation.'

Good God !
That is some going by LW, Fred.
CC being toed by LW - it must have been tough going, for CC to agree to this.

But going back to what you said earlier about not cycling now - it's best not to go against the docs advice.
And it is a pity because, as you say, a lot of the older guys are still out pedalling.
Vinny Lyons - he's in his 70's - was All-Ireland Track and R/R champion for years, is still out pedalling away.
Some of the bikes he appears on are from way back - but it's great to see the likes of him still out there and being as fit as many people who are half his age.

You're right though about how these conditions can just creep up without any sign.
Two people who I cycled with dropped dead - both from coronary anurisms.
These guys would have been tee-total, non smokers.
It doesn't bear thinking about.

philhudson said:
Hey,

Just finished at the nationals, came 11th, out of a field of 30. Had a bad start, got new cleats that i havent used before and couldnt get in, eventually when i did the rest of the field were around the first corner.I managed to break on the last lap, .3 of a mile short the peloton caught me again. I ended up losing out in the final sprint again, I got boxed in to the centre, and lost by about a second.

Dont thinkI did too badly as it being my first real big race....any advice?

Im going to ask Jeff for some coaching on tactics and the like.

Cheers Phil
hi there national WHAT bon courage..

philhudson said:
My mileage weeks run from Sunday to Saturday.

Week Begining 6th Mar
14 ( terrible, due to rugby trainign every night of week!)

Week Beggining 13 Mar

Week Begining 20th Mar

57 (Again low due to rugby)

Week Begining 27th Mar

20 So far, 6 days left.

183 so far this month, aiming for 250 by the end.

Good thing now is that the rugby is out of the way, I can focus on Cycle training.

I also need to workout some sort fo trainign scedual (however this is spelt?), shall I contact Jeff for this as is specializes in this sort of thing.

It seems the point where I am having the most trouble in the race is the final sprint, where everyone ends up getting me.
hi there. sorry old man.. when i was 12/13/14/15, my average miles per week were over 200.. i needed them because the other buggers were doing 250.... i got more miles that that on the sunday club run,, this and going to the fish shop and back.. get some bloody miles in lazy bones... then i will tell you how to sprint,, i should know i have have 3 bcf nat sprint medals around my neck,, bon courage.

limerickman said:
Good God !
That is some going by LW, Fred.
CC being toed by LW - it must have been tough going, for CC to agree to this.

But going back to what you said earlier about not cycling now - it's best not to go against the docs advice.
And it is a pity because, as you say, a lot of the older guys are still out pedalling.
Vinny Lyons - he's in his 70's - was All-Ireland Track and R/R champion for years, is still out pedalling away.
Some of the bikes he appears on are from way back - but it's great to see the likes of him still out there and being as fit as many people who are half his age.

You're right though about how these conditions can just creep up without any sign.
Two people who I cycled with dropped dead - both from coronary anurisms.
These guys would have been tee-total, non smokers.
It doesn't bear thinking about.
hi there.. good day at the office today.. grand prix forcat real,, 65kms flat 11 kms up a bloody big hill,, hey just like the puy de marie on the etape,, the 65 field was made up of FFC reg/depts Spanish 1st cats, plus the odds and sods like me.. well i won the 55 kms flat race, then got dropped as expected on the big climb, but i was the winner of the over 55 mob by about 10 minutes,, on the 4/5laps, i attacked the peleton about 1 k from the village of milleau,, i had ALL the buggers on mi wheel.. i took them through the village, dropped back into the bunch and did the same again on the 5th lap...i just got a bit of that OLD thrill as 60 odd 1st cats were sat on mi wheel... we then turned left and went up the bloody climb.. what a day,, well worth it... SUNDAY lets see... bon courage..ps had to use 39x25 for the last 100 mtrs....used 39x23 up till then...

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there.. good day at the office today.. grand prix forcat real,, 65kms flat 11 kms up a bloody big hill,, hey just like the puy de marie on the etape,, the 65 field was made up of FFC reg/depts Spanish 1st cats, plus the odds and sods like me.. well i won the 55 kms flat race, then got dropped as expected on the big climb, but i was the winner of the over 55 mob by about 10 minutes,, on the 4/5laps, i attacked the peleton about 1 k from the village of milleau,, i had ALL the buggers on mi wheel.. i took them through the village, dropped back into the bunch and did the same again on the 5th lap...i just got a bit of that OLD thrill as 60 odd 1st cats were sat on mi wheel... we then turned left and went up the bloody climb.. what a day,, well worth it... SUNDAY lets see... bon courage..ps had to use 39x25 for the last 100 mtrs....used 39x23 up till then...
Great stuff BRF, A wins a win, first of the year I believe. Let's face it 11k on 39x23 is no mean feat against the whippersnappers, and winning your cat. by 10 mins. A dog with two dicks come to mind.
Today was that great event in Gawthorpe, Ossett. The World Coal Carrying Championship. Whether it had a bike race time I don't know, but it was a great day out in the Pub. Brawny Yorkshire coalminers versus the Liverpool Mercury, with the Landlord as referee. Nobody got killed. It was OK for them as in Yorkshire Easter Tuesday is a holiday.

Hi everyone,

I know I have been sadly missing for a few weeks, and yes I did my favourite trick logged in and forgot to log out. But that is for a purpose, I keep losing my login number and have to keep sending for a new one.

I'm afraid cycling has been relegated to a poor second place in my life at the moment, have a lot of personal rubbish cluttering it up but soon hopefully it will be sorted and my mind will go back onto the two wheels. Alright Fred, yes and the lycra on the cyclists derrieres. Then I am also doing 2 courses at college, and there is a fair bit of homework there to be done so the attention hasn't been on it.

Small anecdote here courtesy of youngest son.

I was driving back from the shopping and noticed a cyclist in the old Telekom kit, the pink black and white. I just mentioned it in passing and the cry went up "Oh Mother!!!" and he was also riding a nice Bianchi as well. So now if I see cyclists I am told to close my eyes. A little dangerous when driving !!

Looking forward to the classics over the next few weeks, Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix, and the semi one Gent-Wevelgem. The only down side is that Paris Roubaix is relegated to a 45 minute show on Eurosport, so I shall have to fiddle with the satellite dish to get TF whatever to see it. I was hoping to be going over but all things conspired against it.

The next live bit of cycling I shall be seeing is the David Duffield Challenge Ride for the CTC down near Bath on May 1st, and there will be lots of the old riders taking part in that again. except for a Sunday lunch meeting with friends in Kent in the middle of next month when they have a day out. The next Pro thing will be the Team Time Trial event in Eindhoven, as I have friends there so will try to get to that.

Right must feed the hungry hoard ............ otherwise it will be mutiny.

I will keep posting now but time has been against me.

MCM

bikeriderfrance said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there you go. bon courage
I must agree, it's all getting out of hand these days. In golf we had the Masters which was a top class event, now it means a load of has beens. The same happened with tennis, and now we've got a load of veteran bike riders calling themselves Masters. It's sheer madness. What's wrong with 'Old Gits'? that's what the kids said anyway. It's quite nice coming from the knobbly kneed cheeky little twats, especially when they club up and buy you a pint.

FredC said:
I must agree, it's all getting out of hand these days. In golf we had the Masters which was a top class event, now it means a load of has beens. The same happened with tennis, and now we've got a load of veteran bike riders calling themselves Masters. It's sheer madness. What's wrong with 'Old Gits'? that's what the kids said anyway. It's quite nice coming from the knobbly kneed cheeky little twats, especially when they club up and buy you a pint.
hi there, yes i agree, we have now racers under 30, big deal THEN we have THE MASTERS, another big deal, we now have world champions from every age under the sun,, how can a guy win a masters world championship say road at 31, when we have oscar frere world pro champion at 33, its just madness, where will it end, take the track, we now have world champions at all distances for every 4 years above 30, ie 30x34 35x39 40x 44,, its like bingo,,,, its the same in the road at st johann, in august there is the masters world RR champs, every man and his dog can have a go,, but wait 3 days before is the WORLD CUP CHAMPIONSHIP... not world champ(chump) but a world cup winner,, its all approved by the UCI,,,, why am i saying this as i will be doing the 60x64 world road race masters championship, why I WANT TO BE A WORLD CHUMPION>>>>> bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, yes i agree, we have now racers under 30, big deal THEN we have THE MASTERS, another big deal, we now have world champions from every age under the sun,, how can a guy win a masters world championship say road at 31, when we have oscar frere world pro champion at 33, its just madness, where will it end, take the track, we now have world champions at all distances for every 4 years above 30, ie 30x34 35x39 40x 44,, its like bingo,,,, its the same in the road at st johann, in august there is the masters world RR champs, every man and his dog can have a go,, but wait 3 days before is the WORLD CUP CHAMPIONSHIP... not world champ(chump) but a world cup winner,, its all approved by the UCI,,,, why am i saying this as i will be doing the 60x64 world road race masters championship, why I WANT TO BE A WORLD CHUMPION>>>>> bon courage.
I'm totally confused by all this messing about. Joop won the WC's when he was 38. So what does that now make him? A WC Master 35-39 group, and the same goes for Freire, and don't forget Cipo. Malcolm Elliot is still beating the pants off the under 30's, and I suppose Sid and Legs would still give a good account of themselves. So if Malcolm wins our Pro Championship will he get two Jerseys, one national one, and another one for being a Master?
BTW Malcolm spends a lot of time in the winter on the weights, just thought I'd get that one in Hehe.
Now when you win the World Champs, just make sure that you get a proper rainbow jersey, if not I'll get John Harrison (Lusso Clothing) to knock one up for you, but yours shall have gold piping on all the seams.
Actually Ricky Garcia started that palaver, and it was only a Liverpool Mercury jersey.
**** 'em I say, even Freire can't wear his rainbow jersey, he has to wear a white one as leader of the ProTour series. Something wrong somewhere.

why am i saying this as i will be doing the 60x64 world road race masters championship, why I WANT TO BE A WORLD CHUMPION>>>>> bon courage

Oh BRF

I do hope you get to be that, then you can advertise this board on your jersey, one up for the eejits at ES

MCM

philhudson said:
30 miles today, weekly total so far 75 miles, 75 to go, half way there.
Look Phil, I agree with BRF all along the line, and I'm not going to bore you lot to death with how I could do over 200 miles in a day on my own at the age of 13.
My younger brother and I did 100+ from the age of 10/11 onwards on a Sunday with St. Christophers CCC. Much like BRF I moved on. To the Middleton CC in my case, it was basically a TT club, and had some bloody good riders including Harry Hill MBE (previously mentioned). John Arnold, barrow rider(trike) who wore clogs, which are the forerunners of todays racing shoes. Then Bill Sutcliffe the great TT rider. Training and riding with them hoisted me up another peg on the ladder. The next bit was getting poached by a great man manager called Cliff Richards into the Domino RC where I met the the no quarter given money riders. BRF had the same experience with his contemporaries from his club.
There is only one answer. Keep banging the miles in, all the best ones do. If you want to make that effort then so be it, they might beat you up in training, but you will gain their respect. If you don't then you won't have a circle of friends as large as ours.
It all depends on how much you love this game.
BTW do your weekly mileage to end on Sunday night, have Monday off and start again on Tuesday. Don't give us this **** about homework from school, we all did that as well, and still bang in the miles.

bikeriderfrance said:
I've just been reading chapter two on the UCI lunacy policy. Well in 2007 they are going to run a 'Slow Tour' for riders who don't get any ranking points during the season. They have some misguided idea that these riders down the list are drug free. What they don't mention however is that these riders pull their tripe out for the team leader, and when their job is done they drop back to do the very same thing the next day. All riders in pro teams are given jobs to do, and that's makes a strong team, or at least as strong as it can be. It's a bit like having a seperate game for defenders in football who haven't scored a goal all season. They're Bloody madmen.

FredC said:
I've just been reading chapter two on the UCI lunacy policy. Well in 2007 they are going to run a 'Slow Tour' for riders who don't get any ranking points during the season. They have some misguided idea that these riders down the list are drug free. What they don't mention however is that these riders pull their tripe out for the team leader, and when their job is done they drop back to do the very same thing the next day. All riders in pro teams are given jobs to do, and that's makes a strong team, or at least as strong as it can be. It's a bit like having a seperate game for defenders in football who haven't scored a goal all season. They're Bloody madmen.
hi there. well here we go again, old hondo 2 pos test, when will it end.. why do these guys do it.. they must know that they will get caught sooner or later..mmmm read about that aid to LA.. well he stung old LA for a massive 500€ a week rise, and LA told him to bugger off,, he did just that and then said at the IND TRibunal he is having against LA, that he found epo bottles in the waste bin at LA's flat in gerona. he had a spare set of keys to get in,,, come on ***** who ever you are... get in the real world, simply another big payout merchant....oh good week so far 400kms,,, ytd (end of march ) is 4750 kms....bon courage,

philhudson said:
159 miles done this week.?!
Wellll, I suppose it's a bit better, but it's not enough yet. Hey don't forget, we want at least 100 on a Sunday. It's not difficult, start at 8.30, keep riding until elevenses, that should be about 30-40 miles. Another 2 hours 'til lunch, that's about 70, and back home for teatime. It's a doddle. I'll tell you what Phil, with all the lazyarses about these days you'll never get a better opportunity to make your mark in British Cycling.