Xes - Message Board

Well the sunshine has really brought out the lycra brigade in my neck of the woods today. Quite exciting really more in the team colours than the thick thermal winter gear. My youngest son has disowned me refusing to do anything that consists a trip along a road where there may be cyclists.

Now the real point of me coming on here and not regaling my cycling tales.

What do you think the big announcement from Lance Armstrong be on April 18th?

Please post some constructive comments......

MCM

hemplands said:
Well the sunshine has really brought out the lycra brigade in my neck of the woods today. Quite exciting really more in the team colours than the thick thermal winter gear. My youngest son has disowned me refusing to do anything that consists a trip along a road where there may be cyclists.

Now the real point of me coming on here and not regaling my cycling tales.

What do you think the big announcement from Lance Armstrong be on April 18th?

Please post some constructive comments......

MCM
Your son is quite right, why should you slow down for bums on bikes. He's got his life to look forward to, and many things to achieve. The next thing I might hear is that you've fixed a loudspeaker to the top of the car, and you shouting out "Shake that ass, more bums needed"
LA will say that this is his last TDF in 2005, after all his contract with Discovery states that all being well he only has to ride once in the TDF during his two year contract.
Would you like a small wager on this? maybe a bigger one?

FredC said:
Would you like a small wager on this? maybe a bigger one?

You must be joking!

Me wager with a semi-pro betting man like you?

Pull the other one Fred its got bells on.

My moolah stays firmly in my purse thank you very much, there are much better things to spend it on, more pleasurable too!!!

hemplands said:
You must be joking!

Me wager with a semi-pro betting man like you?

Pull the other one Fred its got bells on.

My moolah stays firmly in my purse thank you very much, there are much better things to spend it on, more pleasurable too!!!
Just testing for a bit of interest in punting terms, to give opportunities.
What do you think of the LA scenario as it stands at the moment?

philhudson said:
159 miles done this week.?!
I finally got 137 miles in this week [spring break.] Though it was rainy & in the 40s, 50s earlier this week. I have not gotten to ride that much at all this year, do to day lights savings, weather, & school. But hey, we change our clocks today don't we? That gives me more daylight so I can ride 25 mile after school, [if my schedule & the weather permits.] After the 15th of April, the weather is usually ideal around here. The wind was ridiculously unbelievable today! I rode 10 miles, that’s about it. I have to do a century here pretty soon when the weather gets nice...........Hopefully over the summer I can get in around 200 miles a week. What kind of bike do you ride?

ryan_velo. said:
I finally got 137 miles in this week [spring break.] Though it was rainy & in the 40s, 50s earlier this week. I have not gotten to ride that much at all this year, do to day lights savings, weather, & school. But hey, we change our clocks today don't we? That gives me more daylight so I can ride 25 mile after school, [if my schedule & the weather permits.] After the 15th of April, the weather is usually ideal around here. The wind was ridiculously unbelievable today! I rode 10 miles, that’s about it. I have to do a century here pretty soon when the weather gets nice...........Hopefully over the summer I can get in around 200 miles a week. What kind of bike do you ride?
With the greatest respect to you, we live on another planet. 200 miles every week in January is bread and butter stuff, and attrocious conditions to boot. So how do you expect to ride the Belgian classics when you can only envisage yourself to do a 100 miles (with a stop) in midsummer, and bang a few extra in.
Bikes? Interesting? You ride the one they give you.

FredC said:
Bikes? Interesting? You ride the one they give you.
Well, it’s just that I have always found fine bicycles to be fascinating, set aside the fact that it is a wonderful sport, that is one of the reasons that attracted me to cycling: The bikes.

FredC. Bikes? Interesting? You ride the one they give you.[/QUOTE said:
Which brings us nicely to this afternoon's Ronde Van Vlaanderen. Did anyone else notice the wayward crappy Cannondale frame that was ridden by Ballan of Lampre? It was taking him all over the road and the front end was bouncing about even on a smooth surface.

ryan_velo. said:
Well, it’s just that I have always found fine bicycles to be fascinating, set aside the fact that it is a wonderful sport, that is one of the reasons that attracted me to cycling: The bikes.
hi there, where are you from usa ? bon courage.

ryan_velo. said:
hi there, not much but keep at it.. if you want to wallow around like a bloated fish your milage is about ok,, if on the other hand you want to "do em" who ever they are you need to get off your aa...............................ss bon courage.

ryan_velo. said:
Right, the board looks as though it's back on line again. Now then, how old are you? I'm not answering any stupid questions, and neither will bikeriderfrance, or Limerickman, if you want to know more then I suggest you read through the whole 1000+ messages on the XES board. Other than that do 200 a week for the next year and you might get some proper advice. You're just a warm weather poser.

ryan_velo. said:
The fascinating thing about bikes is 'How fast can you ride one, and for how long'

FredC said:
The fascinating thing about bikes is 'How fast can you ride one, and for how long'
hi there bad day at the office, :mad: after my heroic race last week,, mixing it with the elites, it was down to a bump.. well really a damp sqib... i rang the organiser to confirm time of depart, they are always changing them and to my surprise the race was "annulle' " ,cancelled, why well its been pissing it down here non stop for 48 hours, at chez BRF it was not to bad,, MRS BRF and BRF actually got out on sat , but the big black clouds over the mountains made us turn back,, too late, just about 1 km from home it lashed it down,, seeing has i had just cleaned the bikes (my job, mrs brf cook's), it was a bit miffed...but it was realley bad at the coast... i just wonder though, was it a excuse seeing as whats his name had just popped his cloggs,, what a do about nothing. ( no insults please my own feelings ).... still may get out today for a bit,,, going to the uk on wednesday for 7 days,, so i will miss about 5 days riding and 1 race,, sacre bleu.:) .hey just bought a itm millenium CARBON stem, its 130 long brand new, i bought it of ebay for about £20 they are over 65£ in the shops, oh whilst i was at it i also bought a pair of pizzana carbon firbre bars, at £25 quid, brand new intbox.. value int shops again about £65/75 .. so i will be streering with a full carbon setup when i get back,,,hey thats it. bon courage...:cool: :cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there bad day at the office, :mad: after my heroic race last week,, mixing it with the elites, it was down to a bump.. well really a damp sqib... i rang the organiser to confirm time of depart, they are always changing them and to my surprise the race was "annulle' " ,cancelled, why well its been pissing it down here non stop for 48 hours, at chez BRF it was not to bad,, MRS BRF and BRF actually got out on sat , but the big black clouds over the mountains made us turn back,, too late, just about 1 km from home it lashed it down,, seeing has i had just cleaned the bikes (my job, mrs brf cook's), it was a bit miffed...but it was realley bad at the coast... i just wonder though, was it a excuse seeing as whats his name had just popped his cloggs,, what a do about nothing. ( no insults please my own feelings ).... still may get out today for a bit,,, going to the uk on wednesday for 7 days,, so i will miss about 5 days riding and 1 race,, sacre bleu.:) .hey just bought a itm millenium CARBON stem, its 130 long brand new, i bought it of ebay for about £20 they are over 65£ in the shops, oh whilst i was at it i also bought a pair of pizzana carbon firbre bars, at £25 quid, brand new intbox.. value int shops again about £65/75 .. so i will be streering with a full carbon setup when i get back,,,hey thats it. bon courage...:cool: :cool:
I can't believe how shitty the weather is down your way, surely it's unusual. What do the old-timers make of it. We'll have to call you Carbonman. What's next? carbon rims.
I was looking at the categories for the old gits races in St. Johann. Austria.
It's confusing because according to the UCI I qualify in Cats 8 and 9. Anyway I won't be bothering as I think 76k is a bit short, I rather fancy 120k should be the distance. What do you think?

FredC said:
I can't believe how shitty the weather is down your way, surely it's unusual. What do the old-timers make of it. We'll have to call you Carbonman. What's next? carbon rims.
I was looking at the categories for the old gits races in St. Johann. Austria.
It's confusing because according to the UCI I qualify in Cats 8 and 9. Anyway I won't be bothering as I think 76k is a bit short, I rather fancy 120k should be the distance. What do you think?
:) hi there. yes i agree, but i am in the 60 to 64, age on the day, infact i do believe that if your birthday fall on the day after the race, which you have won, it is possible to ride say the 65 to 69 race and win that,, i think it would be the same with the world TT which i am also going to ride.. i may have a chance there as well... still i do think its all micky mouse stuff..

when i rode the worlds non uci job in belgium, it was 50 to 60 and the 60 to 70 was the 1st event to be run on the day so it was impossible to win 2.. but there you go again, there is a BIG difference between a 50 year old and a 60 year old,, i know to my no pain no gain type of racing,, when racing with 50 year olds,, its ALL PAIN bon courage..:cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
:) hi there. yes i agree, but i am in the 60 to 64, age on the day, infact i do believe that if your birthday fall on the day after the race, which you have won, it is possible to ride say the 65 to 69 race and win that,, i think it would be the same with the world TT which i am also going to ride.. i may have a chance there as well... still i do think its all micky mouse stuff..

when i rode the worlds non uci job in belgium, it was 50 to 60 and the 60 to 70 was the 1st event to be run on the day so it was impossible to win 2.. but there you go again, there is a BIG difference between a 50 year old and a 60 year old,, i know to my no pain no gain type of racing,, when racing with 50 year olds,, its ALL PAIN bon courage..:cool:
ES board back on today with DH running it. See ask DH bit down the LHS. One or two people have been asking where we are? Anyway DH was good enough to stick my posting on indicating the XES board with instructions how to find it.
Plenty of racing tomorrow on both the ES channels. The Gent- Bubblegum, and the Tour Basque. Should be a good day for us all.

Now where's that Phil? How many miles last week. BRF will be down your way in the next few days, so pedal a bit harder young man.

philhudson said:
Like I said, 159 last week (week ended saturday)
OK Phil aim for 200 a week, then we'll start getting somewhere. That's the basic stamina bit build up. You can't build castles on sand. I have no doubt because of your present build that will be able to climb one day. BRF's the trackman, now you just bang in the mileage and he'll help you.

FredC said:
Right, the board looks as though it's back on line again. Now then, how old are you? I'm not answering any stupid questions, and neither will bikeriderfrance, or Limerickman, if you want to know more then I suggest you read through the whole 1000+ messages on the XES board. Other than that do 200 a week for the next year and you might get some proper advice. You're just a warm weather poser.
Hi Fred, I rode 189 this week. I just got back from riding 25 miles & I would ride longer, but I have a piano recital next week and I really got to practice. Any way I’m gona start to work on at least 180 to 200 every week this season. The weather right now is absolutely gorgeous. What’s wrong with riding in warm weather? I usual stop in November because it’s just too uncomfortable, I don’t like to ride unless I enjoy my self. Other wise I have an indoor trainer. This March, [which is when I usually start riding again] was actually rather colder than usual. But these past several days have been great, it got up to 85 yesterday & I went on a weekly group ride we have just started in Owensboro & I had a great time. [yes, there are roadies in Owensboro.]

Any way I ride when the weather is nice and I really enjoy my self, I get sweaty & listen to some good music... As far as being a poser, I don’t have a particularly nice bike, I have cheap cycling shoe’s and my cycling kit is not that nice. I have a 2 decent jerseys & 1 pair of lycra shorts. [Nice helmet though.] Otherwise my bike really is not that "great", it’s just an entry level road bike that I consider myself lucky to have and I take really good care of it. When it’s fairly nice out I ride when I can, but I don’t plan on getting competitive. I do it for fun, mostly because I love to be outside. I will try to progress and improve as a cyclist this season, but man, I don’t like you being so critical of me. By the way, I'm usually not that whiny about the wind but the other day when I only rode 10 miles because of the wind, but there where wind guts upwards of 35 to 40 MPH. I road a few miles and had second thought about that. :eek: Any way I really got to go now, talk to you later.

ryan_velo. said:
Hi Fred, I rode 189 this week. I just got back from riding 25 miles & I would ride longer, but I have a piano recital next week and I really got to practice. Any way I’m gona start to work on at least 180 to 200 every week this season. The weather right now is absolutely gorgeous. What’s wrong with riding in warm weather? I usual stop in November because it’s just too uncomfortable, I don’t like to ride unless I enjoy my self. Other wise I have an indoor trainer. This March, [which is when I usually start riding again] was actually rather colder than usual. But these past several days have been great, it got up to 85 yesterday & I went on a weekly group ride we have just started in Owensboro & I had a great time. [yes, there are roadies in Owensboro.]

Any way I ride when the weather is nice and I really enjoy my self, I get sweaty & listen to some good music... As far as being a poser, I don’t have a particularly nice bike, I have cheap cycling shoe’s and my cycling kit is not that nice. I have a 2 decent jerseys & 1 pair of lycra shorts. [Nice helmet though.] Otherwise my bike really is not that "great", it’s just an entry level road bike that I consider myself lucky to have and I take really good care of it. When it’s fairly nice out I ride when I can, but I don’t plan on getting competitive. I do it for fun, mostly because I love to be outside. I will try to progress and improve as a cyclist this season, but man, I don’t like you being so critical of me. By the way, I'm usually not that whiny about the wind but the other day when I only rode 10 miles because of the wind, but there where wind guts upwards of 35 to 40 MPH. I road a few miles and had second thought about that. :eek: Any way I really got to go now, talk to you later.
At long last, someone who bangs a few miles in, and promises he made to his future attititude, you see he hasn't got star bike, but he's a star in the making. He's doing a piano recital, but I bet he never had a big grand at home, but he's on one now. He's put the fingering in, and now he's doing the mileage as well.
This young man is potential. Hey lissen have you got an old valve HammondB3?
Keep in touch now.