Xes - Message Board

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by limerickman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Hey,

About 160-180 miles (Fri-Sun).

I stuck to my promise Lim! (about the summer hols, and getting out on the bike) And will keep to it.

Had a really hard run today! To start with, I was on my way to club, about 12miles away, and saw a bunch of club cyclist up the road, about 400m, so I decided to hunt them down at 25 mph, caught them and never saw them again! But this route was longer, so it was a flat out ride to the club, got there with one minute to spare, and ended blowing twice on the run, but managed to hang on! One of my big problems (among other things) is blowing up, anyspecific stuff i can do to help this? 4 weetabix for breakfast so didn't expect it.

Off on holiday tommorrow! Putting a cheap computer on the rent-a-bike at Centreparcs!

Cheers for the support guys! ( Oh yeah BRF, he parks his car on my drive and lives with me:mad: !)

Phil

PS May not be able to post while I am out!

2. John Knees

John Knees New Member

Well done Cliff! Back in 1949/50 I was at a boys' gwammah school in Chichester. One of our pupils, Mick Hasler of the Bognor Regis C.C., won the Junior National Sprint Championship, but did it get a mention at assembly? Nah!

Mind, if he'd taken a couple of wickets in the match against the Lancastrian Boys that would have been a different story - as it was all he did was win a national championship.

Heigh ho!
    :)
    John.

3. FredC

FredC New Member

Plenty of pasta and sauce the evening before to load the glycogen. Breakfast, high quality muesli. I always used hot water and not milk, stir in a few spoonfulls of honey and finish with fresh fruit dipped in honey. Sod the Weetabix lark. Carry bananas in you pocket as well.
    Well Phil, we're all with you on this one, and we'll still be here when you get back. BTW try and tell 'em that you love your sport, otherwise if it is curtailed you might get into bad company, and have the Police knocking on the door. See how that one works for a start.
    So make the best fist of it on your Hols. See what happens because we've got loads of ideas.

4. FredC

FredC New Member

Cliff Richards really deserves whole chapter to himself, when I thought about it years later I realised how he had prepared us for success, and at the time also moulded us into a team and that he had no part of in our interpersonal relationships with each other. Not only that he never saw the end of any of our races, he was always there at the point of 'selection' with a word or two, usually one. 'Go'. we won the div champs two years running as a team. Then buggar me with a big stick, he just said bang the mileage up in the winter because I want to show the Moneybags that you mean business. That was that, he left us to it.
    Cometh the early spring/ late winter we were ready to take on the Moneybags on a 130mile Pennine ride. They couldn't drop us, and they did try to.
    Result: a few Profs.
    He did fade from our scene somewhat as we moved on.
    However years later when I came back to England, I was driving through Middleton one Sunday morning and I saw him clomping down the road, his gait was him without mistake. I pulled in, and invited him to come and see a road race. He said thank you but I must sort my football team out, they can win the division.
    I was flummoxed. " What the hell do you know about football Cliff?"
    His retort was " I know about lads though, don't I?"
    There was no answer to that one.

5. bikeriderfrance

bikeriderfrance New Member

hi there great news,, but did you WIN the sodding race,, if not you may have used up your winning sprint feeding overdeveloped muscles..only a thought.. bon courage.:cool: :cool: :cool:

6. bikeriderfrance

hi there, errrrrrr what year did he win the J sprint and where, bon courage. :cool: :cool:

7. bikeriderfrance

hi there errrrrrrrrrrr was he a pervert then ???????????? bon courage..

8. bikeriderfrance

hi there, just got back from freezing uk:( :( , 8 days 1 day sun, the rest well, maybe thats why i live deep down south near the sea... i saw only 3 racing guys out, no club runs, no chaingangs, just a few old joes tramping along at evens.. i drove from blackpool to birmingham to colchester, so quite a bit of the uk.. just where are the guys,, sorry state of affairs...my son told me he had seen in the local news paper ( colchester), a 15 year old had done a sub 20 minute ride in the local ten on the a12,, thats some ride at that age... maybe we are just holding the good young guys, the no hopers are dabbling then quitting.. shame.. lack of club life i suppose..... no ride for 10 days, but from thursday i get back down to it, will pop in a session EVERY DAY UNTIL THE 24TH, WORLDS ON 26TH, so should be "en forme",, race on sunday, up near old fred c patch, montpellier. oh its warm here,,, bon courage.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

9. philhudson

philhudson New Member

By any chance was the sub - 20 by alex dowsett?

Back from the holiday with a bit more than I bargained for, road rash all over me, execept the legs, which is lucky! I came off at some where around 30mph, the handles bars twisted, I lost control and went into my brudda, I had 2 rent a bikes on top of me, and him, skidding on dry rough mud at some speed.

Should be OK though, I might be able to get to the club 10 tonight, and if I do, I will push real hard , I should be able to get some good points tonight!

Phil

10. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Very hot and dry night tonight, felt like I had abosoultly no power, al though, I bead my PB my 16 seconds, I did a 28-07, also, it was pointed out that my saddle was about 1/4 of an inch too high, could this have caused my power output to be lower?

Have a club dinner tommorrow at the pub at 20:00, and riding the 32 miles there, and getting a lift back, as it will be pitch black!

Any suggestions/ comments?

Good luck at the world's BRF!!!! Everyone knows you will dominate!

Phil

11. FredC

FredC New Member

Nooooo. They all lived in Yorkshire.

12. FredC

FredC New Member

Legro lives in Colchester.
    So let's wish him a Happy 50th Birthday. Smokes, drinks, and lives with a gorilla called Burd. Jesus knows how many times he's been World Champion. He's a real character, of that there is no doubt. An outstanding Man.

13. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Happy birthday!

14. Over the Hill

Over the Hill New Member

Thank you Phil and Fred :D
    My big event is in September for the World Masters Track Championships :D
    Good luck to any other old gits riding Worlds and you too bikeriderfrance

Phil I know you are being guided by Fred he's a good man if you want some extra help in the future maybe me you and Fred could hook up later in the year?
    I could pick you up and take us both to Freds

15. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Wow that would be great!

16. ryan_velo.

ryan_velo. New Member

G’day Fred, Lim, Phil. Been getting up at four in the morning & doing 25 miles w/ some other riders as of this week. I’d say I averaged about 24 this morning, I still got dropped. One of the guys was doing about 31 the last leg of the ride. I don’t have a computer right now but I’m getting one this week, maybe this afternoon? But I don’t exactly know what I’ve been doing this week. About 40 miles & a metric century on Saturday & Sunday. The metric century was the hardest ride I’ve ever been on, 62 miles of pure hills. Big ones. The last 15 miles seemed like f*cking eternity. It was a supported ride w/ road markers so I know exactly how many miles it was. I've done a full century b/f but it wasn't quite this hard.

17. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Hey!

Well I was allowed to race at Eastway today, so did! 40km - 25miles.

I came third by about 20cm, I ended up doing alot of work on the front again, but dropped poeple gradually. Dominic Schils broke away on the first lap, and won it. Joe Nash broke away onto the 'Dom' group with five to go. Me and Jake Hales got caught in a bad postion and didn't manage to get on to the 'Dom' group, it was only us two in the final sprint. I led for the last three laps as when he was on the front it slowed up. I tried to apply as much pressure on the parts of the course where I know that I am strong, and it ended up working.

Near the end I was very near blowing up, but didn't. I mixed honey in with my cerial this morning, (as the fruit wasn't ripe) it probably helped!

I can now start to see that the miles are starting to kick in, as my endurance is increasing.

The average speed for the race was 20mph. Not very fast, but remeber this is at Eastway and it is quite hilly!

Phil

18. bikeriderfrance

Hi there...just keep getting the miles in.. i am impressed with the "dawn patrol" bit.. i used this method to great success when i was working a 60 hour week,, i do not think a computer will make it any easier, all you need is 15/20 HOURS per week.. do this and the LE PECHE" will arrive..bon courage.

19. bikeriderfrance

hi that. ;) ;) what event(s) are you riding, i presume at manchester... as you may or may not know, i have 5 bcf track champions medals hanging on a bit of wood... i keep thinking i may "have a go again", but the logistics re equipment/travel etc are against it.... yes the worlds in austria is the next big one for me... i rode very well in the dept/reg/nat french champs... hoping to go and "do it" at st johann...hey do you know my old eavesham sparing partner brian newton,, he tells me he is british veteran over 60 pursuit champ.. he is also riding the worlds TT in austria... bon courage.:cool: :cool:

20. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Would it be worth me having a go at applying for the talent team?