Xes - Message Board

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by limerickman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. FredC

FredC New Member

Well Phil, don't you think that you had better sort out your gearing, no good mashing gears on an HC.
    Anyway well done for your endeavours this season. At least you made some improvement all by yourself. What we want you to do now is to join and train with the Glendale. What do you think of that?

2. EoinC

EoinC New Member

He's from Albury, which is in NSW in Australia. I agree with your comments - he seems to be putting in a fair bit of effort in a pretty unstructured sort of a way.
    Good to see you back on-line, Fred.

3. philhudson

philhudson New Member

The glendene, I will browse through their site tonight and reply then! Im off out now on the bike and wont be back for about 6 hours! Cya

4. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Glendale or glendene? have never heard of the glendale?

5. FredC

FredC New Member

Sorry. Glendale.

6. bikeriderfrance

bikeriderfrance New Member

HI THERE,been away for a few weeks, had mrs BRF's sister and husband stay with us for a couple of weeks,and now we have our eldest petit fille staying with us, so the riding has been put on the hold for the moment, however still managed to get out every other day, ytd is now 13,000 kms. i achieved this on sunday...:)

all quiet here, the racing scene has finaly just faded away, there is an event on the 30th of this month, but no one appears to know what it is.. will ride if its a road event... bought a new ,well 2nd hand giant TCR frame from a mate of mine, complete with a genuine MB seat pin, a true work of art. i have heard that before, the frame is 1 kilo less in weight than my old veneto, and with the carbon corima's fitted it weighs in at 7,4 kilo's. thats light....

was out the other day and met up with TH, he was getting a few k's in for the paris tours, it was on FTV1, we had about 2 hours, i did think he would do it, but zabel was so strong... strange he (ZABEL) has been 2nd to pettatchi all year in sprint finishes, so he was, i suppose the favourite,, well done,,,,

see old PH is still in no mans land,, just where is that lad going,,, still we all find our level sometime.... maybe its best to ride everything going, and consentrate on what you do best,,, then it takes balls to DO IT.

see ya

7. bikeriderfrance

hey there, i like that ryan_velo lad, thats mi boy, remember, you need at least 15 hours of trainig a week and build up to 20 hours a week when you race.. please remeber, TAKE NO PRISONERS,NEVER EASE UP WHEN IN A WINNING POSITION, even out training or when you race for "the sign".at the end of a training ride.. bon courage.

8. ryan_velo.

ryan_velo. New Member

^^We actually spray painted a finish line on the road:p , [the morning ride]. On the last leg of the ride the pace line speeds up to about 27-30. Then we sprint. It's the most fun ride I've started doing this year, we meet at 5:30 every morning at someone's house. when I get back to my house I usually get in about 22miles, it depends. We usually average around 22-23. On the Monday night rides we sometimes average 24-25. Sometimes I get so exited I can't sleep, b/c I get so exited knowing that the first thing I'm going to do when I get up is ride. It was about 45 degrees this morning, I just got a new c-dale cold weather jersey, it's super nice. I have a full winter kit. They do the morning ride all year, even when it drops down into the 20's. Usually a dozen or more people, sometimes only 6. It’s always a lot of fun though.

9. hemplands

hemplands New Member

Was at the Cycle Show in London at the weekend.

I passed on all good wishes to the inimitable DD, he was in great form.

He did a talk and a Q&A session, my youngest loved it, had him in stitches.

DH was not there ... he had been there on Saturday and SK as well but they had gone on a charity cycle run.

Must say that the announcer there Anthony whateverhisnameis is improving, he does an occasional bit on cycling.tv and is getting better. He's done some bits for Eurosport.

10. bikeriderfrance

hi there ryan velo.. i am quite impressed with you, its not oftem you here and should i say see a young rider actually getting out there and doing it.. keep it up,:) when i was working ( hell), i had a time consuming job, BUT what did i do "i got my arse out of bed "ar 5.30 am and was on the road at 6 am with about 5/6 other minded riders, to be out at that time is just fantastic,, winter well you just put up with it, BUT summer oh those were the days....even now with time on mi ands, i still get up some mornings at about 6 am, and take off for 5/6 hours on the bike.....to me its the best time of the day.....if you want any " inside info" on bike racing let me know, i "KNOW ALL" the shortcuts... bon courage.

11. FredC

FredC New Member

And just what happened in those races?

12. FredC

FredC New Member

Well BRF, you gave it your best shot this season to try and become World Champ, and a few other main targets. Your work has been admirable and all credit is given by me. No doubt that you have picked up a few gongs and cups along the way, and will be club and regional champ again. Maybe a winter on 42x20 cog might help as I have noticed that you get beat on the climbs at the end. Do you think this is a weight issue? Of course, I'm not being rude it's just that you might be a bit beefier than the skinny ones like Howard Keefe.

13. bikeriderfrance

hi there, well i do agree with the weight job, but i weight LESS now than when i was a junior.. mrs brf gets a bit huffy if i say i am overweight, i do not think so.. i think that i have cultivated a mental block when it comes to the climbs.. in training i am up there and infact usually first to the top, but in races i get the knackered leg syndrome. hey maybe its the fact that i am now over 60....................today (sun 23 ) i was out on mi winter bike, 39x45 rings 11x32 block, i usually peddle all the time, but i tried to do a LA up a drag on 39x25 shit it was so hard. i kept it going, but was i glad to change up a couple of sprockets over the top. oh and by the way, it was RAINING first time this year i have got wet....see old zac carr hit the dust this week, what a shame, but riding on the A/M 11 at 7.30 am mmmmmmmmmha YTD is 13,310 kms bon courage

14. FredC

FredC New Member

No use in getting your weight TOO LOW, it will only weaken you, and your training programme. Just target events at a different level, a few lumpy bits but not for a finish. Oh well, have a nice social season with Mrs BRF and company, you deserve it. That PH is a disgrace, he doesn't keep in touch, so I might tell Dave Le Grys to dump him as well.

15. bikeriderfrance

hi there, yes quite agree, i wonder if i have LOST too much weight, its a thing with me, we have had our petit fille with us for a week, its amazing how much food you get through even with a 5 year old, had to keep sneaking out whilst mami and PF were asleep, still managed 3 times in the week. but it is now getting just that bit colder in the mornings , BUT when i take off after lunch its a nice 18/22 c, so no complaints.. where was i , oh yes, weight, oh lets forget that... next year my main targets are as usuall, the dept/reg champs, with a couple of grand sportivo's banged in.. i want to do the Marmotte, a180lms sportivo which finishes on top of alpe du'heuz, should be fun... mrs brf and me may do a sport/rando in northern italy as well, there are quite a few around milan / pickardi area , we shall see. now its out when the suns out and the sunday club bashes, ( harder in winter than summer).. bon courage.

16. philhudson

philhudson New Member

Hello,

Fredc, I havent been able to be in touch as the races were yesterday, and i got in late last night from the races, and went straight to bed!

Anyway, Catford Climb primarily 25%, I did in 2:59, came 2nd out of the Chelmer.

Bec cc Hill climb 20/25% more of a steady gradient, I did 2:50, 3rd out of the chelmer.

What other sorts of things do you want to know?

Phil

17. Over the Hill

Over the Hill New Member

where did you come overal Phil? (not in the Chelmer) the Open

18. philhudson

philhudson New Member

In the Bec hill climb I came 57th overall ( i beat my main rival at road racing by about 25 seconds) , and bradley wiggins 41st?!

In the catford I came 53rd

The ECCA hill climb I dont know exactly where I came, as the computer wont up the result sheet at the minute.

19. bikeriderfrance

hi there. well not much to report, been out 6 times this week and got in 475 kms, must say its been over the top regards the weather, today it was 28/30 c average, a bit of wind but with these temps, i can handle it.. got a training partner, well for a few weeks only, he's a scottish guy who has a place ceret, just up the road.. he's an old roady like myself... goes quite well... well errr i took him on my usuall wednesday ride(100 kms ). 3 quite stiff climbs, you know 53X23 or 25 for me... after about 80 kms on the last bit goes up nor down ..to my place, he blew .. but after a big pot of tea, and bun and a bit of chocolate he was back to normal... did say that he had not had such a " testing ride for some time".. to me it was a job done well as usuall. on wednesday next week i am taking him into spain,,, only one big climb, 26kms long, but then about 30 kms of ups an downs,, but its a easier route.... we shall see. racing done, its touring from now on until the 18th of dec when we head for angleterre. back in france on the 9th of jan... now where can i get a bike....oh YTD is 13,785kms.. so should meet my target of 15,000 kms..for the year.. bon courage.

20. FredC

FredC New Member

Aren't you going to knock the gearing down a notch or three and start pedalling again? What's the point of big nick at this time of the year?
    FFS ride the climb on a pedalling gear, and keep a high cadence. I'm slogging my stones off here to get them to ride 42x20 for 100miles on a Sunday. It's bloody hard work though. There are a few believers including Dave. I was speaking to Paul Paterson tonight (Liv. Merc.) and we are all off the same mind about encouraging younsters. Pete Matthews is on the case as well, and has done something about it also. Slowly, but very slowly I think some sort of progress is being made.
    The President of the BC/BCF Brian Cookson doesn't like me because I ask too many questions. Ho effing Ho. So now we've got Peter Matthews and Paul Paterson from Merseyside on board, plus Guy Elliot from the West Midlands, and of course the great Legro, and Rafiki from Manchester, when he turns up again. I get on rather well with Stuart Benstead, but he wants me to share responsibility for some projects regarding local council lobbying. I'd love to, but I'm physically goosed, and Hillingdon is an awkward place to get to from here.
    I'm dancing as fast as I can.
    Best regards to all readers.