Xes - Message Board

Jacques Dupont said:
Good guess BDF, Glossop Velo indeed although I did not go to the world youth games with you so that's all the clues you need.
Sorry to hear about the mishap with the car.
I was down your way in October with an old team mate, what a fantastic descent from Montbolo down to Amélie les Bains!!!
Managed to get 80 k in yesterday terrible wind but nice temperature 15°C.
All the best for now
Fearless Fellow Falcon Fighter:)
I know who you are. You used to live in Martinique didn't you? HK's pal. I know everybody in this game.

Jacques Dupont said:
Good guess BDF, Glossop Velo indeed although I did not go to the world youth games with you so that's all the clues you need.
Sorry to hear about the mishap with the car.
I was down your way in October with an old team mate, what a fantastic descent from Montbolo down to Amélie les Bains!!!
Managed to get 80 k in yesterday terrible wind but nice temperature 15°C.
All the best for now
Fearless Fellow Falcon Fighter:)
hi there, pity you were not in the forum for your trip, we could have got to.gether, yes thats a big decent, my club... velo club du vallespir is based in amelie les bains, and we run a TT up from there to the top of montbolo, quite interesting..
the trip to germany for the youth games was quite an eye opener, i can always relate to JU's desire to eat cream buns, what a sight to a had, me a head banging tyke seeing bun shops full of the darn things,only thing i had seen before were currant tee cakes, good memories.. were you sick at the time.????????

first day out tomorow, take car in on wednesday to have the window replaced, cost 100 euro's, so the insurance will pick up the facture..

have a look @ www.veloclubduvallespir.netfirms.com

bon courage.

'

This is probably totally the wrong place to put this, but I expect everyone who subscribes to any of these forums is as gutted as I am at the news about Rhyl Cycling Club.

John Grant
Worthing Excelsior C.C.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, pity you were not in the forum for your trip, we could have got to.gether, yes thats a big decent, my club... velo club du vallespir is based in amelie les bains, and we run a TT up from there to the top of montbolo, quite interesting..
the trip to germany for the youth games was quite an eye opener, i can always relate to JU's desire to eat cream buns, what a sight to a had, me a head banging tyke seeing bun shops full of the darn things,only thing i had seen before were currant tee cakes, good memories.. were you sick at the time.????????

first day out tomorow, take car in on wednesday to have the window replaced, cost 100 euro's, so the insurance will pick up the facture..

have a look @ www.veloclubduvallespir.netfirms.com

bon courage.

'
Welcome back BRF. Did you have a nice break, and recharge the batteries. I hope that you and Maureen had an evening or three with the EBCC Crew. Now , how's my mate Porky? Is he getting over it. I don't like to think of him without that laughing pleasant face. I thought that you were going to phone Dupont last year, you must have forgotten about it. We have another new member called 2006. Aren't you going to ask him for his palmares like you usually do. I know who he is, but I could do with a laugh similar to the one when you trod in something attacking OTH.
See ya later says Fred.

John Knees said:
This is probably totally the wrong place to put this, but I expect everyone who subscribes to any of these forums is as gutted as I am at the news about Rhyl Cycling Club.

John Grant
Worthing Excelsior C.C.
In this instance it isn't John. 4 clubmen killed in an instant including a kid, it's a terrible tragedy. That's the second incident in 10 days. Last week in the IOM 14 yo James Berry was killed when a wheel flew of a wagon rolled down the road and hit him. He was out training with the top lads over there which included the World Champion, and one of the very best for the future Mark Cavendish.

FredC said:
In this instance it isn't John. 4 clubmen killed in an instant including a kid, it's a terrible tragedy. That's the second incident in 10 days. Last week in the IOM 14 yo James Berry was killed when a wheel flew of a wagon rolled down the road and hit him. He was out training with the top lads over there which included the World Champion, and one of the very best for the future Mark Cavendish.
hi there. yes very sad indeed, what can be said that has'nt been said.

i was going to ring old PCH but did not get round to it.. he lives just up the road,, hey pch you can email me, maybe a meet up sumtime..

bon courage, having mi tee...

bikeriderfrance said:

i was going to ring old PCH but did not get round to it.. he lives just up the road,, hey pch you can email me, maybe a meet up sumtime..

Oh yes and get him to go out with you, Thor Hushovd and his brother. Should be fun. It would be nice to have him in your club though, as the poor lads only an old knobbly knees these days.

John Knees said:

John Grant
Worthing Excelsior C.C.

It's a terrible tragedy John.
4 cyclists minding their own business - out doing no harm to anyone and taken away just like that.
Terrible.

Words fail me.

bikeriderfrance said:

My heart goes out to all those affected by the terrible Rhyl accident.
OK BDF I'll maybe call you I've got your number find out what you're up to down there I'll check out the club site. I've joined a club in Lezat sur Leze as that's where I am most weekends see you kiddo
Lezat where's that????

FredC said:
I know who you are. You used to live in Martinique didn't you? HK's pal. I know everybody in this game.
Hi there FredC
You must be a good mate of hk if he told you he'd visited me in Martinique way back in '76. I obviously know you but can't figure it yet. Why don't you give us a clue veille branche?
must get back to work see :confused:you

Jacques Dupont said:
Hi there FredC
You must be a good mate of hk if he told you he'd visited me in Martinique way back in '76. I obviously know you but can't figure it yet. Why don't you give us a clue veille branche?
must get back to work see :confused:you
It's no use phoning HK up, because he's under strict orders not to tell you. There's an overlap in our ages. When I was a junior you were a sprog, when I turned senior you were a junior, and when you turned senior I had more or less left the country. Anyway I've known HK for 45 years, we were in the same club, along with AT, and CC. Then they decamped to the Glossop. I rode with AT many times in his early days as a senior. My 'enemies' in the Glossop were Neil Bennett (aka Ben the *******), Lennie Oliver, and the Hinchcliffes. Of course I know Ken Brittain as well.
As you are aware we don't advertise on this site, and that's how we like it. Now then when you were in Troyes, and that's all I'm saying, did you come across Dave McMullen, or did you miss each other?
You should have a better idea now.
Says Fred.

Earlier, I was down at the local CC, just doing a bit of indoor work with the youngsters and it came up in conversation about ability/talent and just what it takes to make it in this sport of ours..

Mere mortals such as myself, made up the numbers when I was racing.
Lucky to have been part of a talented crop of younsters, back in Dublin in the early 1980's.
Basically I was a water carrier for the real talent.

The thought came to me tonight : I could eat a bucket of EPO/HGH/Blood dope till the cows come home, I still don't think I could have achieved the level necessary to go pro.
I said this to the youngsters tonight - with the caveat that they should train hard regardless of their level of ability or their results.

Which got me thinking.

Talent is talent, regardless.
Eddy Merckx would beat the lot of us - with him going unicycle to boot.

End of my rant.

limerickman said:
Earlier, I was down at the local CC, just doing a bit of indoor work with the youngsters and it came up in conversation about ability/talent and just what it takes to make it in this sport of ours..

Mere mortals such as myself, made up the numbers when I was racing.
Lucky to have been part of a talented crop of younsters, back in Dublin in the early 1980's.
Basically I was a water carrier for the real talent.

The thought came to me tonight : I could eat a bucket of EPO/HGH/Blood dope till the cows come home, I still don't think I could have achieved the level necessary to go pro.
I said this to the youngsters tonight - with the caveat that they should train hard regardless of their level of ability or their results.

Which got me thinking.

Talent is talent, regardless.
Eddy Merckx would beat the lot of us - with him going unicycle to boot.

End of my rant.
Correct, Lim. We each have limits to our inate abilities. How close we get to reaching the those limits is up to us. Someone with mediocre abilities who pushes himself / herself, may get better results than someone who has a lot of ability, but doesn't put in the effort.
To get to the top, you obviously need both, but the vast majority of riders don't get to the top and cycling would be the worse for not having those people. As has been pointed out by BRF with regards to Veteran Championships, a road race having a field of 3 riders does not add much to the value.

EoinC said:
Correct, Lim. We each have limits to our inate abilities. How close we get to reaching the those limits is up to us. Someone with mediocre abilities who pushes himself / herself, may get better results than someone who has a lot of ability, but doesn't put in the effort.
To get to the top, you obviously need both, but the vast majority of riders don't get to the top and cycling would be the worse for not having those people. As has been pointed out by BRF with regards to Veteran Championships, a road race having a field of 3 riders does not add much to the value.
I'm sorry to disagree with entirely on your issue. What you are stating is a completely different issue
For example you state in Para 1 that you condone and make a get out clause as to volition.
No person on this thread has ever denigrated any club rider or intermediary rider of not making the top grade. In fact you will completelely find the opposite aspect regarding our apprenticeships on a bike from a very early age from our elders and teachers in our grounding.
And finally I don't think BRF ever rode in a race with 3 competitors.
Now clear off with your stupid remarks, and dont bother replying to this post.

FredC said:
I'm sorry to disagree with entirely on your issue. What you are stating is a completely different issue
For example you state in Para 1 that you condone and make a get out clause as to volition.
No person on this thread has ever denigrated any club rider or intermediary rider of not making the top grade. In fact you will completelely find the opposite aspect regarding our apprenticeships on a bike from a very early age from our elders and teachers in our grounding.
And finally I don't think BRF ever rode in a race with 3 competitors.
Now clear off with your stupid remarks, and dont bother replying to this post.

In fairness to Fred, Biker etc : there is no way that I could conceive of even being able to have raced at their respective levels.

And I have to say that a lot of the guys like Fred/Biker etc have never denigrated the lesser riders like myself.
In fact, Biker and fred have been at the forefront of encouraging younger guys here and have freely given sound advise.
Which is not always the case with guys who have done well in the sport.
A lot of guys who achieve "success" can be quite obnoxious when it comes to less successful cyclists.
This is not the case with Fred and Biker and others here, in my opinion.

limerickman said:
In fairness to Fred, Biker etc : there is no way that I could conceive of even being able to have raced at their respective levels.

And I have to say that a lot of the guys like Fred/Biker etc have never denigrated the lesser riders like myself.
In fact, Biker and fred have been at the forefront of encouraging younger guys here and have freely given sound advise.
A lot of guys who achieve "success" can be quite obnoxious when it comes to less successful cyclists.
I agree, Lim. I was not meaning to suggest that anyone on this thread denigrates lesser riders - I certainly haven't seen that. I was just agreeing that people should be encouraged to do the best that they can (I also didn't suggest that BRF rode in any 3-man road races - I was referring to where he was questioning the value of some of the veteran championship titles). Anyway, I'm hopping back out before I give Fred apoplexy.

FredC said:
It's no use phoning HK up, because he's under strict orders not to tell you. There's an overlap in our ages. When I was a junior you were a sprog, when I turned senior you were a junior, and when you turned senior I had more or less left the country. Anyway I've known HK for 45 years, we were in the same club, along with AT, and CC. Then they decamped to the Glossop. I rode with AT many times in his early days as a senior. My 'enemies' in the Glossop were Neil Bennett (aka Ben the *******), Lennie Oliver, and the Hinchcliffes. Of course I know Ken Brittain as well.
As you are aware we don't advertise on this site, and that's how we like it. Now then when you were in Troyes, and that's all I'm saying, did you come across Dave McMullen, or did you miss each other?
You should have a better idea now.
Says Fred.
Ta very much for all the information still working on it not easy for me been living in frogland too long 'spect
Back to work as I'd like to get out for a spin today if I can make it
See you:confused:

EoinC said:
I agree, Lim. I was not meaning to suggest that anyone on this thread denigrates lesser riders - I certainly haven't seen that. I was just agreeing that people should be encouraged to do the best that they can (I also didn't suggest that BRF rode in any 3-man road races - I was referring to where he was questioning the value of some of the veteran championship titles). Anyway, I'm hopping back out before I give Fred apoplexy.

You're correct, Eoin.
Biker (rightly I think) did question the validity of having a masters title for someone say 35y.o.
When you've got the likes of Ekimov and Konyschev still cycling at 40 - what's
the value of masters title for a 35y.o.?
Konyschev or ekimov don't compete in masters races, do they?
So I agree with Biker on that score.

And I agree with you - youngsters should be encouraged to do their best

limerickman said:

As always "THE GENTLEMAN" Limerickman, pouring oil on troubled waters, no matter what your achievements on a bike your a champion's champion amongst men in my humble opinion.

I've been reading the posts on this forum for a couple of weeks now and I think there is much humour amongst it's participants, however there are a few who consider this their own private personal presinct and that's counter productive ?

Keep up the good work, very enjoyable indeed....?

Jacques Dupont said:
Ta very much for all the information still working on it not easy for me been living in frogland too long 'spect
Back to work as I'd like to get out for a spin today if I can make it
See you:confused:
HI THERE. COME ON """TRAVAIL EST POUR LE PAUVRE""" PACK IT IN AND GET SOME "MILES IN".. BEEN OUT TODAY, DROPPED THE 206 OFF FOR ITS NEW WINDOW, AND THEN DID 2 HOURS, GREAT RIDE FROM ELNE DOWN TO PORT VENDRE AND BACK, THE MED WAS BLUE BLUE, THE SKY WAS BLUE BLUE AND IT WAS ABOUT 18C NOW WHO WANTS TO WORK....HAVE YOU TAKEN OUT A LICENCE, I RIDE UFOLEP AND FFC RACES DOWN HERE... ITS GOOD FUN, AND BEING OVER 60 I TEND TO WIN THE 60 PLUS PRIZE WHEN I RIDE THE FFC EVENTS.. UFOLEP, ITS ALL CAT STUFF EXCEPT FOR THE DIV/REG CHAMPS WHICH ARE AGE RELATED. I WILL BE AWAY ALL OF FEBUARY BUT I AM SURE WE CAN MEET UP AFTER... I AM RIDING THE MORMOT THIS YEAR ARE YOU????? BON COURAGE.:cool::cool: