Xes - Message Board

limerickman said:
To put a bit of perspective on the gearing : I did 103 miles on Saturday and 103 miles the following day : I used a 42 chainring, with a rear sprocket cassette 13-26.
I have a 53 chainring also but I never use it).

I did the first 103 miles in 5hrs 23mins : I used 42x17, 42x16, 42x15 for the majority of the route and went in to 42x13 sparingly.
Just looking at the what I wrote in my training record : and it says rpm (on the computer) averaged 96 rpm for the entire duration.
For the return trip (the following day) same gears were used.
It took me 5hrs 31mins to complete 103 miles : rpm average 97.
Again, I didn't use 42x13 much (except for descents).

The route I took, had mainly long drags instead of climbs.
And I'm only what would be considered a tourer, these days.
5hrs odd for 100 miles isn't bad going all the same either.

There is no need for the bigger gears, I think.
56x?????? is far too heavy a gear.
Merckx used a 44 in his day, I believe.
Don't know how true that is.
hi there. well er stat stats stats.. just a quickie with merckx.. in those days(1960) we followed the TREND of the pro's. rings we used were wait for it 54.X 46 and we used 5 speed block of 13.X23 or 25.. big gears by todays standard.. if you road TT you had a close ratio block of 13x17/18.. all good stuff.. what we must remember is that 10 speed blocks was man on the moon stuff, just did not exist.. the testing before gears came in was all on fixed... you rode THE gear of 88, and at 100 rpm you beat the hour by 10 seconds...alf engers held comp record at 25 miles with a 55.11, along came charlie mcoy of the melling whs and did a 55.01 on gears then it was all gear stuff,, until Chris B and G obre smashed the 10/25 on 110 fixed.. BUT no one change back to fixed except a small few... WHY, well the punters like to be seen £3000 carbon bikes to do a 1.3 in the local club event.??????????????????

your milage's are very impressive, keep it up, but remember with big distances, you tend to roll along all day at that one speed, when you meet up with the BOYS, and they jump up a small drag or sprint out a bend,, the legs cannot respond, you need now a bit of speed work, say one night a week with the chain gang,, 40/50 miles.. ON THE FRONT>>>

why not take out that vets licence... its another world..bon courage..

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there. well er stat stats stats.. just a quickie with merckx.. in those days(1960) we followed the TREND of the pro's. rings we used were wait for it 54.X 46 and we used 5 speed block of 13.X23 or 25.. big gears by todays standard.. if you road TT you had a close ratio block of 13x17/18.. all good stuff.. what we must remember is that 10 speed blocks was man on the moon stuff, just did not exist.. the testing before gears came in was all on fixed... you rode THE gear of 88, and at 100 rpm you beat the hour by 10 seconds...alf engers held comp record at 25 miles with a 55.11, along came charlie mcoy of the melling whs and did a 55.01 on gears then it was all gear stuff,, until Chris B and G obre smashed the 10/25 on 110 fixed.. BUT no one change back to fixed except a small few... WHY, well the punters like to be seen £3000 carbon bikes to do a 1.3 in the local club event.??????????????????

your milage's are very impressive, keep it up, but remember with big distances, you tend to roll along all day at that one speed, when you meet up with the BOYS, and they jump up a small drag or sprint out a bend,, the legs cannot respond, you need now a bit of speed work, say one night a week with the chain gang,, 40/50 miles.. ON THE FRONT>>>

why not take out that vets licence... its another world..bon courage..

BRF : the vets licence would be another world.
Like you said when you're pedalling along at a consistent rate, distances aren't that difficult.
But that ain't racing, as you well know.

I don't know if I would be any use racing, first of all. Assuming that I did start doing the interval stuff to improve speed, I'm not sure that I'd be up to racing standard to be honest with you.
The senior boys are pedalling along at an average of 23mph on the circuit here : the vets wouldn't be far off that.
But 23mph average doesn't mean that they go along at 23mph all day :
on the flat these guys are pissing along at 35-40mph.
I am not sure that I could hold that. I'm not sure that I even want to try to be honest. Part of me wants to try it though.

He thanks for the info about the gears : the old fixed is where a lot of people learned to pedal : I haven't seen anyone in a long time on a fixed (on the road).
As you say 3,000 quid wheels are more impressive - well the look better don't they !

limerickman said:
BRF : the vets licence would be another world.
Like you said when you're pedalling along at a consistent rate, distances aren't that difficult.
But that ain't racing, as you well know.

I don't know if I would be any use racing, first of all. Assuming that I did start doing the interval stuff to improve speed, I'm not sure that I'd be up to racing standard to be honest with you.
The senior boys are pedalling along at an average of 23mph on the circuit here : the vets wouldn't be far off that.
But 23mph average doesn't mean that they go along at 23mph all day :
on the flat these guys are pissing along at 35-40mph.
I am not sure that I could hold that. I'm not sure that I even want to try to be honest. Part of me wants to try it though.

He thanks for the info about the gears : the old fixed is where a lot of people learned to pedal : I haven't seen anyone in a long time on a fixed (on the road).
As you say 3,000 quid wheels are more impressive - well the look better don't they !
hi there.. well it would be a shame to not use your miles... why not take out a day licence.(do they do them in eire?) and have a go...racing is a state of mind.. you just sit in the back of the bunch, hope no-one goes away and win the sprint.. easy BUT,, its a little bit different.. as i said, ride on a day licence, just sit in the bunch, try and keep up near the front, 40 up bunch easy 140 up bunch., impossible..... and see how you go.. remember, STAY UPRIGHT.. mrs Lrkman will be ****** of if you hit a wheel and fall off, as you know it hurts, but in a bunch, you get body's and bikes in yer edd.. thats why they banned spinergys,,, liquidisers in the bunch.. oh remember to shave your legs, there is nothing worse than a plonker with hairy legs... give it a go.. you may like it...oh just a quickie, if its hot and you are drowning in your own sweat,, yer ont limit man.. bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there.. well it would be a shame to not use your miles... why not take out a day licence.(do they do them in eire?) and have a go...racing is a state of mind.. you just sit in the back of the bunch, hope no-one goes away and win the sprint.. easy BUT,, its a little bit different.. as i said, ride on a day licence, just sit in the bunch, try and keep up near the front, 40 up bunch easy 140 up bunch., impossible..... and see how you go.. remember, STAY UPRIGHT.. mrs Lrkman will be ****** of if you hit a wheel and fall off, as you know it hurts, but in a bunch, you get body's and bikes in yer edd.. thats why they banned spinergys,,, liquidisers in the bunch.. oh remember to shave your legs, there is nothing worse than a plonker with hairy legs... give it a go.. you may like it...oh just a quickie, if its hot and you are drowning in your own sweat,, yer ont limit man.. bon courage.

BRF : yep, we've the one day licences here and you do get guys turning up
buying their licence and having a go.
Food for thought Biker - definitely.
Part of me wants to do it.

Forgot about the shaving bit (how easy it is to forget eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

limerickman said:

:p :p :p :p hi there, yes you can always tell a plonker,,, underpants showing through licra racing shorts,(SYP), unshaven legs and hell this might hurt.. nice clean shaven FACE,,, then you are ready to go.... i think it would do you good... oh dump the pipe,, not really "the scene " in the changing room....ps put plenty of strong smelling stuf on your shaven legs,,, does'nt make you go any faster, but smells good "intbunchlad" bon courage,:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
well err no, after the french champs the events dry up unless you travel over 500kms round trips... the police stop 90% of road events in the langudoc/roussilion area in july and august.. too much traffic and holiday makers, estimated 10 million french invade region over 8 weeks...next event is the GP de Bessan near agde,, do you know it, i was 3rd last year,, good curcuit, but its outside my usual backyard. will have to suck it and see.

i have cut down a bit on my mile eating regime,, put lots in up to the fr ch but felt a bit jaded this week... so its one big day (weds) and the rest steady riding with mrs BRF,,, next biggy is the worlds on the 26th of august, lets hope the gold plated carbon wheels do the biz.. bon courage.
Are you going to have a bash at Agde or what? Or are you going to build up for St Johann? it's the main target.
I see your mate Thor Hushovd got the green jersey in the TDF.
Someone started a thread on another site for St. Johann entries but I can't see any names up yet.
I noticed that you popped one or two to the new board, but the discussions came to nowt. I stayed off to let it get started, but more of this later.

limerickman said:

Absolutely No Comment from me. Best to keep counsel from the past and work on the kids and their gearing. Reverence and history will win the Kids over, unless you are like Legro who still goes around killing people. A great man he is, and a great Champion.

FredC said:
Well done Ryan on your wins. I wondered where you had got to, thought that you might have fell by the wayside. You see Ryan, now you know our method works if you stick with it. Never mind all the other coaching ********. You've got the best men on here with over 1500 victories in the bag. Don't go telling people because we don't want this section cluttered up with assholes. Leave the training as it is 200 a week, and try and bag a few more victories before the end of the season. Of course being State Champ will make you a marked man so think your way through it during the race, tell me, do you race with lads from your club in these events?
No other lads on the team, I'm all by my self. They like me though; coach gave me the nickname "smalls". I love the guys on the team. The Jr. I raced w/ in the last race was 16, he came all the way from nashville, we were the only two of us. It was allot of fun, we probably averaged about 19-20, we just talked most of the way & took turns w/ the drafting. [it was a crit], till' the last two laps. Then it started to pick up. I took off half way into the last lap & dropped him, he came close to a bridge but I crossed the finish. He rolled in only a few yards behind. I threw my hands in the air, I got a pic. of the finish:cool: Any way, alaska is wonderful. I'm using the net in a hotel resort from right now from Homer Ak. The silver's [salmon] are running this week & I've been catching quite a few nice ones in the inlet. I caught 4 this afternoon, the tourists kept flocking around me. I had a 15 pound fish on & some ****ing kid got his line tangled in mine, I ended up untangling his/ then landing mine. These ****tards don't get it. When you say "Fish On!" that means get your line the **** out of the water, not moving it closer to where you are. Their method was wrong, I don't know whether to tell them how to catch fish or enjoy watching them redundantly go about their business, frustrated. I gave all my fish away to the tourists, they appreciated that b/c each fish I gave them would be worth about 50$ on the market. I’ll be back Wednesday afternoon, I’ll be back on the bike soon.

-Ryan

Cheers

I left out a detail about my last race. My competition & me were conversing, doing about 18, the race announcer then said in a real smartass manner; "Uuuh, this is a race not a tour!":mad: The race announcer was a 300 pound diabetic. I hope he's not going to be reading this but, hey, **** you buddy. I would like to see you try to ride a road bike for any sustained amout of time. A fairly simple activity that most people are able to acomplish, but not him b/c he's a 300 pound diabetic. Not that there's any thing wrong w/ that it's just that it's a wise ass thing for him to say.

ryan_velo. said:

I left out a detail about my last race. My competition & me were conversing, doing about 18, the race announcer then said in a real smartass manner; "Uuuh, this is a race not a tour!":mad: The race announcer was a 300 pound diabetic. I hope he's not going to be reading this but, hey, **** you buddy. I would like to see you try to ride a road bike for any sustained amout of time. A fairly simple activity that most people are able to acomplish, but not him b/c he's a 300 pound diabetic. Not that there's any thing wrong w/ that it's just that it's a wise ass thing for him to say.
hi there. just a quickie,, NO NEED TO SWEAR,, thanks bRF bon courage

FredC said:
Are you going to have a bash at Agde or what? Or are you going to build up for St Johann? it's the main target.
I see your mate Thor Hushovd got the green jersey in the TDF.
Someone started a thread on another site for St. Johann entries but I can't see any names up yet.
I noticed that you popped one or two to the new board, but the discussions came to nowt. I stayed off to let it get started, but more of this later.
hi there,

no and yes, i am in the uk from sunday to tuesday the 8th augs,, then its flat out for the worlds,, will stick to the plan, 3/400kms per week, but with one big day (weds).. ease off the week before and then GO FOR IT.. yes popped a couple of messages on but no reponce. DH was more bothered about telling each day why the jersey is yellow and what a fantastic sport M Biking is,, never mind.. just shows how GOOD........ DD was/is......... bon courage.

Hey , sorry I havent been posting on here as often, but I am havign a bit of trouble ''accessing'' the internet, anyway, race on last thursday didn't happen, becuase, guess who didn't let me go.......

Anyway BRF, If you don't mind me asking, but where are you in essex?

Phil

philhudson said:
Hey , sorry I havent been posting on here as often, but I am havign a bit of trouble ''accessing'' the internet, anyway, race on last thursday didn't happen, becuase, guess who didn't let me go.......

Phil
hi there weekend the 6/7/8 why bon courage..

I thought at one point that you said you were going to be visiting essex, and that we could possibly meet up......

philhudson said:

Phil
Who's supposed to be running this show? Us, or your mother and that useless Jeff Wade.

philhudson said:
I wish there was something I could do............
Well tell us what the problem is, I'm sure we can sort something out between ourselves, after all you have won a race. I don't understand the other bits though. Well I think I do but I'm saying nowt. Doesn't your mother realise that the finest brains in the cycling world are on your side with invaluable experience in all matters.
Now listen Old Mother Hudson, Mark Cavendish has just won another Junior World Title, and we communicate with each other on a regular basis. If you want your son to follow the same path then let him go and achieve the best he can do, otherwise he will despise you for curtailing his ambitions in his sporting and social world. Is that what you really want for Phil?

philhudson said:
I wish there was something I could do............
hi there, how times have changed, when i was a lad mimumanmidad,kicked miupthebakside and threw me out of the door..to go out onmibikelad... thats where i got the idea that, i got up, got dressed got mi brekfast, got mi bike out from under the steps and WENT OUT.... weather it did not matter, you were out there, all on yer own,, 20 minutes later you were at the club run meeting place with about 20 other similar odds and sods.. and you did not get back home until it was dark.... at home, who cared, we were OUTONTBIKELAD... no more i presume.. PS stop eating your mums cooking, ask for frozen pizzas all the time..she will get ****** off with you,, and throw you out... maybe a good idea to find a girlfriend who can cook.. nip off there and have another frozen chicken pie with REAL brown gravy.. bon courage.:cool: :cool: :cool:

I don't understand the other bits though. Well I think I do but I'm saying nowt.
How about you PM me, I don't mind, if you PM me and at least tell me the bits that you do not understand, I will explain.

One of the problems is that, my mum (and the other bloke) see cycling as a way to ''punish'' me, and don't see it as a sport, she will do anything not to let met go and even lied last thursday to stop me going! There must be some sort of way out of this. Also, my parents don't know anything about this website at all, and they have even banned me from the computer, so I have to ''get in'' via another way, also thats why regular posts and mileage counts have not been posted. Perhaps we could talk via Phone, or some other way to see if we can resolve this situation?

I am in Centreparcs all of next weeks, and will be doing quite a bit of cycling, maybe a mountain bike race, if there is one on.

Also anything my mum touches tends to go stale when I happen to eat it, I have tried lots to get thrown out but she won't. So instead, stops my cycling. Anyway, I am straight out the door at 16, and am going to be living with my dad, who supports my cycling and encourages me to get out on the bike, and compete in races. I wish it was like the old time now, but what can I do, its a wierd world, where I have a bunch of people dictate my life, when I don't even get a say. Shame. Won't be on the road bike at centreparcs, will be renting a singlespeed hybrid, and riding that all day. Also, while I am there I might not be able to post, but I will try to seek out the internet.