Xes - Message Board

philhudson said:
How about you PM me, I don't mind, if you PM me and at least tell me the bits that you do not understand, I will explain.

One of the problems is that, my mum (and the other bloke) see cycling as a way to ''punish'' me, and don't see it as a sport, she will do anything not to let met go and even lied last thursday to stop me going! There must be some sort of way out of this. Also, my parents don't know anything about this website at all, and they have even banned me from the computer, so I have to ''get in'' via another way, also thats why regular posts and mileage counts have not been posted. Perhaps we could talk via Phone, or some other way to see if we can resolve this situation?

I am in Centreparcs all of next weeks, and will be doing quite a bit of cycling, maybe a mountain bike race, if there is one on.

Also anything my mum touches tends to go stale when I happen to eat it, I have tried lots to get thrown out but she won't. So instead, stops my cycling. Anyway, I am straight out the door at 16, and am going to be living with my dad, who supports my cycling and encourages me to get out on the bike, and compete in races. I wish it was like the old time now, but what can I do, its a wierd world, where I have a bunch of people dictate my life, when I don't even get a say. Shame. Won't be on the road bike at centreparcs, will be renting a singlespeed hybrid, and riding that all day. Also, while I am there I might not be able to post, but I will try to seek out the internet.
No need for PM's Phil, your gurus on here are all grown up men who understand life as well. Just do it on here collectively, and we can sort things out as best we can for you.
I gathered some time ago that she was using it as a control method because she is a possessive woman. So she bought you a nice bike, and now beats your brains out with it. That's wrong, and I think you ought to have a word with your Dad about. The bit about Jeff Wade and your reliability trial stinks to high heaven, and that's what I thought at the time. So the next time you see Jeff ask him about it. Coaches will tell you, not your parents.
Well our parents were glad to get rid of us for a day, and come home ravenous and healthy, ready for another bash. School Hols? maps out planning to got to places where we had never been to for weeks on end. This is not nostalgia it's the bloody truth. Get stuck? find your own way home. Pop in the railway station, give your name and address to pay for the ticket later, on the train, and leg it from the station wheeling your bike.
Never mind Phil, it won't last forever. Think of my old pal Peter Buckley, his parents hated him riding a bike, they thought he should concentrate on being a railway clerk. he was more determined than ever to make his mark, and did so. When he got killed, his parents threw all his bike stuff in the bincart. They never realised how great he was, or could be. We were devastated.

Its all true Fred, but what should I say to my Dad? And how......

Yep, the maps are out, How many miles should it be tommorrow? Lets say 100?

Phil

Ok its a little less but I have a route lined up for tommorrow, it is 45 miles, but it is very hilly, so I start to learn the lanes a bit further out and can adapt this. Would anyone like to see the route?

Phil

philhudson said:
Ok its a little less but I have a route lined up for tommorrow, it is 45 miles, but it is very hilly, so I start to learn the lanes a bit further out and can adapt this. Would anyone like to see the route?

Phil
Phil
what structure do you have for your training other than getting out a a map? It's the middle of the racing season, there are midweek races too

I tend to have ''trouble'' getting to midweek races if any at the moment, this is what I have been discussing with Fred C.

philhudson said:
I tend to have ''trouble'' getting to midweek races if any at the moment, this is what I have been discussing with Fred C.

North Weald is finished now I think, but it's only about 20 miles from you isn't it? I was thinking, ride there, race, ride back? I know we are not all in favour of club 10's but whats stopping you riding one a week including ride out back as well as to add some variety to your training and get in some fast leg work at the same time?

philhudson said:
hi there. i did wonder what was going on,, still i find it hard that today parents/single/married/gay/lesbien/queers/.no hopers/loafers /dodgers and fiddlers USE the children as pawns against one and other.. i do not know a answer.. but for me, next time you ALL sit down to eat, tell them both to grow up, you want to cycle, you love the sport you have won races and you want to carry on..and if they believe in you, they should help,, if not,, find out where your step dad/whatever, parks his car, and chuck a paving stone through the windscreen ............... don't be seen.. bon courage.:cool: ps heat wave continues, 4 weeks @ 40c day 30c @ night.. pool water is a massive 35c unreal.....

I thought North Weald was an hour, but I will check!

Great idea BRF but they will know it was me, there must be something else....

philhudson said:
I thought North Weald was an hour, but I will check!

Great idea BRF but they will know it was me, there must be something else....
hi there go out training one night with a black anarack (sorry old fashioned), chuck it quick and bugger off. bon courage brf..

Sorry about your dilemma w/ your mum' phil. That must suck. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s that you can think in a positive way or in a negative way, no matter what the situation may be. Things always men w/ time. Train hard & ‘stick you your guns’, don’t let your mother bother you. Listen to Fred, he's a good man.

-Ryan

cheers:)

Phil, I coached a youngster that had similer problems with parents attitude towards cycling, and I said something to them that did change thier trail of thought.

I said, if ****** was not cycling, he could be dealing in drugs, skiving off school or even locked up as a juvinile delinquent, cycling is a healthy sport and he is not hanging around on the streets is he?

It seemed to hit home and his parents did start supporting him or cut him some extra slack.

Exactly Over the hill.

43 Miles today, but very hilly ones at that? Ever heard of North Hill?

About .5 of a mile from home at 70ft articulated lorry decidated to nearly kill me and call me a f***ing queer. well thats people for you!

Anyway guys heres my mobile number if anyoen should want it?

Phil

Phil : your situation can't be easy.
I am shocked that "parents" discourage their child from cycling.
I would expect a responsible parent to encourage their child to take part in something that is a good thing, it helps build character and keeps you healthy.

You should try to use their lack of encouragement as a spur - prove them wrong, just for the sake of it.
Fred is correct - you could be pursuing other less socialable pursuits and getting up to no good.

It may not be my place to say this - but I think your folks are wrong on this score about cycling.

Another blast from the past !
What is it with me and former great cyclists.

I had to spend the last couple of days in Dublin and who did I bump in to ?
Peter Doyle - formerly of the Bray Wheelers (Shay Elliots old club).
PD went semi-professional in the late 1960's, early 1970's.
If I recall correctly PD won the KOM jersey in the Milk Race ?????? Hmmmmmmm.
Anyway, I was talking to a man from the national electricity supplier and in walks this other guy and I thought "I know that fellow......"
Turned out to be PD : he still a whippet ! And he's just taken retirement from his job as a sparks with the ESB !

limerickman said:
Phil : your situation can't be easy.
I am shocked that "parents" discourage their child from cycling.
I would expect a responsible parent to encourage their child to take part in something that is a good thing, it helps build character and keeps you healthy.

You should try to use their lack of encouragement as a spur - prove them wrong, just for the sake of it.
Fred is correct - you could be pursuing other less socialable pursuits and getting up to no good.

It may not be my place to say this - but I think your folks are wrong on this score about cycling.
Hello Lim, I'll think you will find that it was Legro who put that one forward from his previous situation with a young rider that he was coaching. I think it's the way forward to address young Phils problem. The lads as keen as mustard, and I know we try to push him along as best we can remotely. Young Ryan who is definitely not braindead by any means had his troubles at school, and us and the Hillbillys supported him. Now he is state champion of Kentucky, and has come to help Phil in his hour of need. Now that's nice.
Legros right about his method of dealing with this one of course, but Phils club coach is useless, but he might be of some use in this situation eventually to make him feel important.
Some one else is due on board shortly, and I would like to know what he thinks about it. This man believes in what we do for the 'Method' and agrees entirely. Not only that but he's heavily involved in International Junior Road Racing.
So at the moment, and as far as I am concerned Legros way forward seems to be the correct option.
Here's a reverse one. You all know my best mate Charlie Callan, well he was out riding every night riding a thing that fell to bits years before. The junior manager was a bloke called Cliff Richards who used to ride around North Manchester looking for little boys riding bikes consistently, and trying to go fast. One evening he collared Charlie. Charlie told him his parents wouldn't buy him a decent bike. Nothing special mind. Charlie told Cliff he was always in trouble at school as well. So what did Cliff do, he went with Charlie to his house, and told them he was quick. Then he went to the school to tell the Head that Charlie had talent. Charlie was bought a new bike because they didn't want their names in the paper. Result was success for everyone.
He'll bloody well kill me for this one.

limerickman said:
That's right - no mercy whatsoever.
It's either the bike or weight-training.
Can't mix both - if you're intent on being a roleur.

I have to go with BRF on this one - I can't see how weight training would help
in cycling terms.
But don't mind me - I'm just an old bollox.
If I can jump in here from the other side of the Alantic ..... As a rider and a competitor I have always been a flatlander. About 10 years ago I spent some serious time in the gym over the winter doing a good amount of leg presses and other leg lifts. The following spring I could handle the short steep hils with more power then I had ever had . Even more then when I rode long milage every day. The thing I noticed was the muscle that went from my butt to my knees.... I had real power that I never had before.