Xes - Message Board

bikeriderfrance said:
hi that. ;) ;) what event(s) are you riding, i presume at manchester... as you may or may not know, i have 5 bcf track champions medals hanging on a bit of wood... i keep thinking i may "have a go again", but the logistics re equipment/travel etc are against it.... yes the worlds in austria is the next big one for me... i rode very well in the dept/reg/nat french champs... hoping to go and "do it" at st johann...hey do you know my old eavesham sparing partner brian newton,, he tells me he is british veteran over 60 pursuit champ.. he is also riding the worlds TT in austria... bon courage.:cool: :cool:
sorry in the late response Bikeriderinfrance, I'm riding the 50-54 500m TT, Sprint and Open Team Sprint. Hoping for a triple but in reality if my back holds out (slipped disc) should do OK though touch wood. They start next Monday (12th) and opposition looks tough, looking forward to it.............I think lol
Never knew you had BCF medals then again I don't know who you are :rolleyes:
I know of Brian but do not know him.

As you say Holiday time and everything else.

I've not had a break, been too busy moving 150 miles away from the old stately pile to the delightful Garden of England, (20 minutes from Dover, 10 Minutes from the tunnel, so hope to get to see some one day races that are close to the coast.) and getting kids and myself established down here.

I've missed looking on here, haven't had the time. I wish days had more hours than 24 at the moment.

Have only been catching bits of the Vuelta on Eurosport. I'm sorry I can't handle DH all the time, as you all know I'm not a cyclist per se just a fan. I miss the off topic subjects during the commentary. (Mind you I can sit and listen to SK for hours, but the best of him doesn't come out over the air)

I didn't get up to see the end of the Tour of Britain, it was a little warm for me, (MS and heat are not good bedfellows) so I had updates during the day from friends by phone. It was a bit disappointing that we didn't have more top flight teams there, last year there were USPS and Credit Agricole as well.By all accounts there were a couple of useful Brits in there, so perhaps we will get some in the top flight.

Well done Phil, glad to see that you recognise that you're cycling better with the the extra miles you're putting in, the 'old farts' do know what they're talking about so keep taking notice of them. Some of these new 'wonderkinder' coaches know zilch when it comes to racing, its all theory and computers.

Will pop back on here when have time.

MCM

philhudson said:
Hi,

A weekend of PB's.

GHS Final - 25:53 pb by 2mins

chelmer club 25 - 1:09:20 pb by 11mins

Phil
hi there, getting better but not good enough,you must try harder, room for improvement lad.. bon courage..

hemplands said:
As you say Holiday time and everything else.

I've not had a break, been too busy moving 150 miles away from the old stately pile to the delightful Garden of England, (20 minutes from Dover, 10 Minutes from the tunnel, so hope to get to see some one day races that are close to the coast.) and getting kids and myself established down here.

I've missed looking on here, haven't had the time. I wish days had more hours than 24 at the moment.

Have only been catching bits of the Vuelta on Eurosport. I'm sorry I can't handle DH all the time, as you all know I'm not a cyclist per se just a fan. I miss the off topic subjects during the commentary. (Mind you I can sit and listen to SK for hours, but the best of him doesn't come out over the air)

I didn't get up to see the end of the Tour of Britain, it was a little warm for me, (MS and heat are not good bedfellows) so I had updates during the day from friends by phone. It was a bit disappointing that we didn't have more top flight teams there, last year there were USPS and Credit Agricole as well.By all accounts there were a couple of useful Brits in there, so perhaps we will get some in the top flight.

Well done Phil, glad to see that you recognise that you're cycling better with the the extra miles you're putting in, the 'old farts' do know what they're talking about so keep taking notice of them. Some of these new 'wonderkinder' coaches know zilch when it comes to racing, its all theory and computers.

Will pop back on here when have time.

MCM
hi there, glad to se you have completed the move.. yes i agree on DH, he's not bad BUT that bloody silly laugh he has after every other paragraph of speech, gets at me.. sean well i think he just sits there and thinks "what a prat".. he has made some very stupid statements, i am keeping a log of the best.. hey sean i think you won the stage into pau once and took the green points jersey.... well eer dave it was the yellow jersey in fact...eeerrr yes sean i must look into that.. quote, there are others....bon courage

I haven't posted on this thread for a while.

Mileage is now at 8359 ytd (just back from a 56 mile spin earlier today - and had to don the armwarmers for the first time since April - winters on the way).

H: good to see you're back on line and that the move has gone smoothly.
I got a call from amate in Orpington who has Br ES and he tells me that Stephen Roche is doing some punditry over there.
I was at our club do back in Dublin in August and Roche (as a former club member) was there.
He's put on some amount of weight.

BRF : hope the kilometres are still going in (I expect they are).
Vueltas been good viewing. I always like the Vuelta - good breakway stuff.
I decided not to try to give the racing a go, Biker.
I was waivering but I reckon I'd be destroyed and that would be a kick in the teeth.

Has anyone seen Fred C ?

Hi Lim,

Thanks for the good wishes.

Fred C. is alive and well, I spoke to him earlier today.

His computer has joined the cemetery in the sky so is unable to access anything, so he will be back on when he gets a new one. He says he will be back with his ascerbic wit wit as well, and ass kicking of certain young riders.

Yes the eloquent Mr. Roche is being apundit, and Mr. Boardman who honestly sends me to sleep. Great rider no personality and they have another muppet doing the main follow through. I miss Duffers, but he is improving after his illness and will be back for the World Championships from Madrid. I know he's looking forward being back in the harness.

You're right the Vuelta is a good tour. but I have a sneaking passion for the Giro, its the plethora of Italians in Lycra. LOL

hemplands said:
Hi Lim,

Thanks for the good wishes.

Fred C. is alive and well, I spoke to him earlier today.

His computer has joined the cemetery in the sky so is unable to access anything, so he will be back on when he gets a new one. He says he will be back with his ascerbic wit wit as well, and ass kicking of certain young riders.

Yes the eloquent Mr. Roche is being apundit, and Mr. Boardman who honestly sends me to sleep. Great rider no personality and they have another muppet doing the main follow through. I miss Duffers, but he is improving after his illness and will be back for the World Championships from Madrid. I know he's looking forward being back in the harness.

You're right the Vuelta is a good tour. but I have a sneaking passion for the Giro, its the plethora of Italians in Lycra. LOL

You'll understand it when I say that Italians in lycra do nowt for me !
I agree though, the Giro is a great race.
I am glad that ES have managed to get the rights to it in the last few years.

Boardman is doing commentary as well on Br ES ? A great rider, I agree but I wouldn't like to have to listen to him for an extended period of time.
As for Stephen - his dulcet Dundrum tones I'm well used to.
I'm good mates with his brother Laurence. (Stephen is a few years older and when you were a teenager these things matter).

Sorry hear about DD - I agree DH could use some of DD's repartee.

limerickman said:
You'll understand it when I say that Italians in lycra do nowt for me !
I agree though, the Giro is a great race.
I am glad that ES have managed to get the rights to it in the last few years.

Boardman is doing commentary as well on Br ES ? A great rider, I agree but I wouldn't like to have to listen to him for an extended period of time.
As for Stephen - his dulcet Dundrum tones I'm well used to.
I'm good mates with his brother Laurence. (Stephen is a few years older and when you were a teenager these things matter).

Sorry hear about DD - I agree DH could use some of DD's repartee.
hi there, well another veulta has come and gone, my only big gripe is that DH is a prat, he has no knowledge of the pro bike game, he makes statements and always finishes with "i think so" or maybe i am wrong, but it does not matter.. what a load of balls... and that silly bloody laugh he has when he want to say owt... did you hear old sean get a bit mad with him today, just another stupid statement, "quote maybe herras may beat petachi in the sprint, thats if he (patachi falls of or something). sean really snapped back at him. he then squealed....he said that DD may be back for the worlds, lets hope so... ohh by the way, my world chumps went well errr sh.............ttttt. had one big OFF day, still went and finished..was 50th.... next year maybe...... ytd,,, 12.075 kms... bon courage.

What sort of tt times should I be doign next year then BRF?

also,

Had the ECCA track champs.

first of all the pursuit

- 3 laps of 500m outdorr track. the messed it up badly and timed em for four laps, and gave me 2min 58 which is ricdulous so had to appeal to the commasaire, he lowed it to 2:17, which was still to high, then lowered it agian to 2:10, which was still abotu 5secs to high and cost me 3rd place.

Now the 500m sprint qualifier

- 1 lap first 3 go to final. Started on the red line, got a good start hanged around in some kids slipstream, he then slowed and everyone boxed me in and i took 3rd.

500m sprint finale

- 1 lap again. six of us, ( the fastest 3 qualified by default as there was only 3 in their heat, so they ddin't have to go hard in the heat!) I lined up just above the blue line this time. I pushed hard and got 2nd, beating national womens champion. about a oot away form dominc schils who won.

5 lap scratch

started off agian, aobut 20 of us this time, the pace dropped with 2 laps to go so I went off the front and put in a huge effort, dropped alot of people, but on the final lap I started to tire, and they went up the outside, and i took i thnik 5th place.

Also, I missed my race today due to lateness which wasn't my fault but anyway, I could have possible won it.. shame.

Cheers Phil

philhudson said:
Also, I got invited to train there with the faster men!
hi there, well eer, next year 10 mile sub 24 mins,,,,,,,, 25 lets say a 1.03.00.

i lost the british junior sprint championship at reading in 1964/5, why well its was over 500meters, i had NOT been beaten in over 2 years as a junior sprinter. i buggered about and a plonker from london beat me. how ,,he took of with 350 mtrs to go, whilst i was TRACK RACING the other guy, ( 3 up title race).. moral if you are the best and fasted there, GO for a full lap from the start.. get your pusher off to give you a mighty push off the line and GO for it... it might just work. it would have for me.. me i was 2nd, and 2nd the year before and 2nd the year before that (schoolboy sprint champs ).. keep going bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, well another veulta has come and gone, my only big gripe is that DH is a prat, he has no knowledge of the pro bike game, he makes statements and always finishes with "i think so" or maybe i am wrong, but it does not matter.. what a load of balls... and that silly bloody laugh he has when he want to say owt... did you hear old sean get a bit mad with him today, just another stupid statement, "quote maybe herras may beat petachi in the sprint, thats if he (patachi falls of or something). sean really snapped back at him. he then squealed....he said that DD may be back for the worlds, lets hope so... ohh by the way, my world chumps went well errr sh.............ttttt. had one big OFF day, still went and finished..was 50th.... next year maybe...... ytd,,, 12.075 kms... bon courage.

Yeah BRF, you could sense that SK was getting a bit annoyed at DH.
Harmon wouldn't have come out with what he did this year, last year.
I think he's going off the boil myself.

Sorry to hear about the Championships BRF - it's down to the day isn't it ?
All that prep and miles could for nowt, if you just haven't got the legs on the day. And there's little you can do about it.
Not that you're beating yourself up about it either.

Keep putting the distance in.

I can't offer any advise to PHudson - never really raced on the track, myself.

Talk to ya.

I concur Lim .....

DH has gone off the boil ....

I'm almost sure that the thrill of the hunt for the top job was the motivation, now he has it ................

He could be a world class commentator if he wanted, but he has forgotten that the audience for cycling does not consist of dyed in the wool people in lycra who live and breathe facts and figures. Many viewers couldn't give a toss about cycling, they watch it for the scenery in the Grand Tours, and a little off topic stimulation.

I concur with BRF that he knows nothing of the ethics and ethos of road racing. For his off season homework he needs to go and talk to people who are in the know. Things can't be learnt from books, they don't use oxygen, have passion or enthusiasm.

I am looking forward to the World Championships from Madrid. Eurosport are sending their largest ever contingent this year, 20 commentators all descending on the city on Tuesday, I pity the city. We have DH, Duffers, SK and the hilarious Russell Williams, Mr. Hey himself. At least we don't have Mr. Snooker as well, thank heavens.

What peeves me is we have nowhere to post to badger him to do better, at least before we had the messageboard, I know some abused it but we did keep them on the their toes. Now we have nowhere to moan, and I think thats wrong ..... we are entitled to our views.

Sermon finished for a Monday morning ..... getting the boys off to school/college

MCM

bikeriderfrance said:
...next year maybe...... ytd,,, 12.075 kms... bon courage.
What's next on the calender, BRF? (My apologies to FredC when he gets back on-line).

I thought it was my advancing years making me believe that Eurosport cycling coverage was becoming ever more dull and uninteresting, despite the action taking place before my eyes. During the Vuelta I found myself shouting "what's that building", "what's the best local wine", and did the Moors/Romans/Huns/Visigoths come through here - and when? Obviously I was in the early stages of Duffield Deficiency Syndrome.

Then, having served three days' family duty in France out of sight of a TV set, I switched on this morning........ to see Mr. Boardman an others sitting around and speculating.........

In the end I found the excitement too much, and went to to watch some emulsion drying on the wall of next-door's bungalow.

I really must get out more.
:confused: :confused:
John.

John .......

It was better when it went live to the action.

We had DH Russ Williams, and DD saints be praised a little levity in the action.

EoinC said:
What's next on the calender, BRF? (My apologies to FredC when he gets back on-line).
hi there. well its today in fact, thats the 24th, it the FFC regional time trial championships.. in fact its a very sporting course TT, went round it on wednesday with a elite guy chris ward from the antelope cc (uk). its 29ks long with 2 biggish hills and a 9 kms long uphill drag to the finish.. i told old chris that this would be the "graveyard ""of the course, he did not know what i meant,, he soon found out.. will let you know how i get on... must agree with all on this site about DH,, i have posted a couple of messages on the ES forum.. my big gripe is that he kept on telling us that quote " he had spoken to dave miller that morning and HE said. ..............i trake offfence at this. DM is a convicted drug cheat, he brought shame on brirish cycling at the time..... he should serve out his sentance, join a back door iti team and come back into the game that way... i think it is wrong for MEDIA commentators to give DM and his drug cheat friends air time....he also said that he missed old T Hamilton, why for gods sake, another convicted drug/blood cheater,,he must be a drug riders favourite commentator... thats off mi cheat.. bon courage.. ps the sun is shining ands its around 30c "intbakyardlad."...