Xes - Message Board

calm down Biker, yeah I agree that there are 100's of world titles to be won you can blame the Yanks for that. There is only one World Championships and that is the Elite, I'm not blowing my trumpet on here saying I am World Champion, you asked me how many I won and even then I never responded because I don't think it is worthy compared with Elite Worlds, having said all that, having an old farts worlds is actually quite good, back in the year dot, when you got to 40 you were finished, and certainly did not have a mass participation that we have today, it keeps me going and I do in fact race against guys I used to race against on the circuit 30 odd years ago, riders like Danny Clark, Gordon Singleton, Ian Hallam blah blah blah have all been up there, its a larf, very low key but deadly serious when it comes to the racing. Put it this way the world record for my age group is 11.1 for 200mts pretty quick by anyone’s standards let alone 50+

Then there is the road worlds, from what I have heard is very competitive and very high standard with shed loads of ex pro's but at the end of the day, it's there for me and you to race an added incentive.

The majority of guys I know that have won medals in the World Masters are genuine people and do not brag about it but you get the odd one that does but who cares.

Back problems aside, if there was no World, National or any other kind of Masters racing I would not be racing. Just to let you know that I don't just hide behind a World Masters Title all 15 of them, I take on the young blokes too, I enter all the National series Sprinters league around the country and normally make the semi-finals which means that even at my age when I should be backing off and taking it easy I am still up there, I don't care if you think I am wrong, I do what I do because since the age of one my parents have told me to slow down and stop rushing about and I ain't gonna change and if I die because of it so be it at least I enjoyed it

I had a good innings when I was a youngster despite the Commonwealth Games crash that broke my back and I am glad I am helping kids and turning them into Champions I get a kick out of that too. :)

Acutally ''Fred'' i have been getting in 200miles a week at least, im just to busy to keep posting constantly on here.

philhudson said:
Acutally ''Fred'' i have been getting in 200miles a week at least, im just to busy to keep posting constantly on here.
I post you with a sacking notice, and you respond. Otherwise you wouldn't bother. Nuff said. How do expect the collective brains on here to work out a system for you for you and the coming season? You've blown it. Dave told you join the Glendene. You don't even mention that. Stop trying to take the ****.
You're gone and forgotten now.

Over the Hill said:
calm down Biker, yeah I agree that there are 100's of world titles to be won you can blame the Yanks for that. There is only one World Championships and that is the Elite, I'm not blowing my trumpet on here saying I am World Champion, you asked me how many I won and even then I never responded because I don't think it is worthy compared with Elite Worlds, having said all that, having an old farts worlds is actually quite good, back in the year dot, when you got to 40 you were finished, and certainly did not have a mass participation that we have today, it keeps me going and I do in fact race against guys I used to race against on the circuit 30 odd years ago, riders like Danny Clark, Gordon Singleton, Ian Hallam blah blah blah have all been up there, its a larf, very low key but deadly serious when it comes to the racing. Put it this way the world record for my age group is 11.1 for 200mts pretty quick by anyone’s standards let alone 50+

Then there is the road worlds, from what I have heard is very competitive and very high standard with shed loads of ex pro's but at the end of the day, it's there for me and you to race an added incentive.

The majority of guys I know that have won medals in the World Masters are genuine people and do not brag about it but you get the odd one that does but who cares.

Back problems aside, if there was no World, National or any other kind of Masters racing I would not be racing. Just to let you know that I don't just hide behind a World Masters Title all 15 of them, I take on the young blokes too, I enter all the National series Sprinters league around the country and normally make the semi-finals which means that even at my age when I should be backing off and taking it easy I am still up there, I don't care if you think I am wrong, I do what I do because since the age of one my parents have told me to slow down and stop rushing about and I ain't gonna change and if I die because of it so be it at least I enjoyed it

I had a good innings when I was a youngster despite the Commonwealth Games crash that broke my back and I am glad I am helping kids and turning them into Champions I get a kick out of that too. :)
hi there, as i said, its only my opinium,, i race as well, as you may know from my posting and also from fred c.. it is a great delight for me to win races in france against french ex pro's et al, win divisional and regional championships.. i just love it.. so at 60 still doing what i did when i was 11 years old,,,, BUT its a bee in my bonnet,,, why do we have to have possibly over 100 world champions in every year....2 years ago i entered the world championship (sic) via the LVRC,, i new about the UCI in austria, but thought this MUST be THE world champs,, so i joined the LVRC, got entered and drove 1000kms to ghent,, when i got there the field was full of belgians, a few dutch and about 50 brits...i asked old phill bayton, wheres the REST of the WORLD, well errr its for non UCI riders,,, safe to say 8 blokes went away as WORLD CHAMPIONS .. hell i was then informed that the veteran TT world chamionship was on the monday did i want to ride, 15kms around a belgium **** heap,,5 euros to enter and away you go,i came home, but another 8 blokes walked away with as world champion...

i suppose i am a turncoat anyway as i have ridden these masters veteran worlds jobs, BUT be honest is a 30 year old a master/veteran..

remember death is the ultimate price to pay,,what are you wanting, to be the best 50 year old in the country on the track come hell or high water, but think about that feeling you get when you reach the semi's and cannot get any further, why not , well because...maybe its time to reflect,,

just one quickie, do you know outside of our cycling bubble, cyclist are a non entity, lycra louts, idiots to the rest of the world....but to us, its the only thing we know.." life in a fish bowl."...ps do you know that there are 50 badminton players to every cyclist....do you know a badminton player..?.

bon courage.

Fair enough, we all have bonnets full of bees, although in my defence there was some 20 odd countries in the track world masters, I am also careful when saying (if prompted mind) That I am World MASTERS Champion which puts it in perspective, I like you get ****** off with old farts bragging they are World Champions. Anyway enough of that.

I think for you the UCI World Masters RR in Austria is a better competition and its good that you can compete at your/our ages. The Masters start at 30 because it originated from the US of A and has caught on, for me 30 year old World Masters Champions could be deemed as failed Elites but that’s not fair on some like Shaun Wallace or Shaun Yates that have won in the past.

If death is the ultimate price to pay for being the best 50 year old, that’s fine by me, I would rather keel over doing that then relaxing with my slippers on, which reminds me, my lovely mother would have bought my slippers for Christmas and I must pretend to be surprised again

Regarding your “Did you know” I do know quite a few outside our bubble that compete in other sports and coach them too. Runners, boxer, greyhounds and some unfit housewifes. I have a healthy interest in all sports except football although I do watch the Cup Final normally especially if Chelsea are in there. I try to mix with other folk because cycling can become an isolated sport and without sounding rude, testers are a prime example of this blinkered vision.

Rant over, at the end of the day we are all bikies in which I respect anyone for. Have a nice Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year

Over the Hill said:
Fair enough, we all have bonnets full of bees, although in my defence there was some 20 odd countries in the track world masters, I am also careful when saying (if prompted mind) That I am World MASTERS Champion which puts it in perspective, I like you get ****** off with old farts bragging they are World Champions. Anyway enough of that.

I think for you the UCI World Masters RR in Austria is a better competition and its good that you can compete at your/our ages. The Masters start at 30 because it originated from the US of A and has caught on, for me 30 year old World Masters Champions could be deemed as failed Elites but that’s not fair on some like Shaun Wallace or Shaun Yates that have won in the past.

If death is the ultimate price to pay for being the best 50 year old, that’s fine by me, I would rather keel over doing that then relaxing with my slippers on, which reminds me, my lovely mother would have bought my slippers for Christmas and I must pretend to be surprised again

Regarding your “Did you know” I do know quite a few outside our bubble that compete in other sports and coach them too. Runners, boxer, greyhounds and some unfit housewifes. I have a healthy interest in all sports except football although I do watch the Cup Final normally especially if Chelsea are in there. I try to mix with other folk because cycling can become an isolated sport and without sounding rude, testers are a prime example of this blinkered vision.

Rant over, at the end of the day we are all bikies in which I respect anyone for. Have a nice Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year
hi there, thanks kleeend it up a bit. i like a bit of banter but WHY ARNT YOU AT BLOODY WORK,:confused: when i was a lad yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn..
will be in the uk over the xmas break, do you live near colchester ?? bon courage...ps when you get to 60, i do think you will have a change of mind..i did in a BIG WAY......:cool::cool:

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, thanks kleeend it up a bit. i like a bit of banter but WHY ARNT YOU AT BLOODY WORK,:confused: when i was a lad yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn..
will be in the uk over the xmas break, do you live near colchester ?? bon courage...ps when you get to 60, i do think you will have a change of mind..i did in a BIG WAY......:cool::cool:
I work from home which is why I keep getting pop ups informing me someone has responded to my last message :D
Yeah I live in Colchester, a little village called Little Horkesley which is near Stoke-by-Neyland
Drop me a line if you are passing, would be good to hook up

Over the Hill said:
I work from home which is why I keep getting pop ups informing me someone has responded to my last message :D
Yeah I live in Colchester, a little village called Little Horkesley which is near Stoke-by-Neyland
Drop me a line if you are passing, would be good to hook up
hi there, my son lives in bures, if we have the time, will do.

whens your next event

see ya.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, my son lives in bures, if we have the time, will do.

whens your next event

see ya.
hi there, all quiet on the message front, i suppose with xmas arriving soon, fiddling about on a computer is at the bottom of the list... still, managed to get mi 2nd road bike up and running, looks good with the carbon stuff on it, runs well too, but by crickey its been bloody cold here, i was ready to set out on sunday am, when i looked at the temp, its was minus 9c, at 8.30, i waited uintil about 9.15 and it had warmed up due to the sun beeing out,,,, it pops over the mountains at the back of the house, i then met the club guys,, safe to say by about 10.30am it was nice and warm,,, got in 350kms this week so ytd is 15,350kms.. should manage another 350 or so until sunday,then we leave for the uk.....so after that date, no more BRF until early january. bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there, all quiet on the message front, i suppose with xmas arriving soon, fiddling about on a computer is at the bottom of the list... still, managed to get mi 2nd road bike up and running, looks good with the carbon stuff on it, runs well too, but by crickey its been bloody cold here, i was ready to set out on sunday am, when i looked at the temp, its was minus 9c, at 8.30, i waited uintil about 9.15 and it had warmed up due to the sun beeing out,,,, it pops over the mountains at the back of the house, i then met the club guys,, safe to say by about 10.30am it was nice and warm,,, got in 350kms this week so ytd is 15,350kms.. should manage another 350 or so until sunday,then we leave for the uk.....so after that date, no more BRF until early january. bon courage.
Well done again this year Brf, So I wish you and Maureen a lovely Xmas and New Year. If you are going up to see Porky and the others of the EB crew raise a glass for me to them. Great lads and competitors, the lot of them. The Pennine Turf Wars eh. Not long ago was it?

FredC said:
Well done again this year Brf, So I wish you and Maureen a lovely Xmas and New Year. If you are going up to see Porky and the others of the EB crew raise a glass for me to them. Great lads and competitors, the lot of them. The Pennine Turf Wars eh. Not long ago was it?
HI THERE u ALL

THANKS FRED, YES HAD QUITE A GOOD YEAR, A FEW UPS AND DOWNS,BUT THE DOWNS WERE VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN, NEXT YEAR, YES YOU BET, "GOTANUBIKE"WEIGHT'S IN AT 7.4 KGS .!!!!!!!!!!!!SO THERE IS NO PROBLEM THERE, JUST HAVE TO KEEP GETTING EM IN I SUPPOSE....THANKS FOR THE GREETINGS AND SAME TO YOU PLUS ALL THE OTHERS ON THE SITE, GOOD LUCK FOR NEXT YEAR....
WILL BE SEEING PORKY ET AL OVER THE XMAS PERIOD, WILL HAVE A PINT OR TWO OF GOOD OLD TETLEYS MILD.. ((PS I DRINK THAT GUINEESS STUFF, SO MAUREEN WILL DRINK MY PORTION OF LIGHT ALE...
I AM JUST ABOUT TO SET OFF TO THE AIRPORT, SO ONCE AGAIN
BONNE ANNÉE JOYEUSE DE NOËL......BON COURAGE . OH YTD 15,530KMS

bikeriderfrance said:
HI THERE. well errrrrrr errrrrrrr i have just had a little wisper in my earole.. if you are who i am led to believe well hands up, you know what you are about... but seriously, being a old git, and riding since 1956 and first event in 1957, i have seen most of it...there are a few modern day tequniques that i cannot just bring myself to believe that they work...i am one of the old school, to win on a bike no matter what discipline, you need miles miles and more miles....i once met reg harris when i raced at fallowfield, i awe of the great man, i asked him ( i was only 14), how he did it... he said and i remember his words to this day... winter 15 hours minimum of training, summer 20 hours of training. then everything will fall into place when you race.. at 61 i still use his advice... but if you are who i think you may be... you have been through it all.... to me, when you get above 50 it is being sensible....why not just go and prepare for one of those titles next year..but there again, i have mixed opiniums about so called old men world champions bon courage.. PS hey why not wear a light back belt when riding..if it does'nt work it will keep your back warm. mmmmmmm

I agree with the view about gym work :
I know Fred will take exception but I have never gone near weights for cycling.
I know there are a lot of people who do, but I don't.
I put on muscle very very easily and I don't need any extra mass (be it muscle
or fat) to carry with me (6ft 1inch).

Miles and more miles works for me - although even that wouldn't get me anywhere close to your or Fred's levels of ability.

Tomorrow should see me approaching the 12,000 miles mark since 01/01/05.

Mileage to date = 11,809 miles.
I am taking a day off tomorrow and hope to hit between 75 and 100 miles.
Weather here this week has been really good : calm with a temp of between
6-10 celsius, no rain or snow.
Ideal cycling weather.
The one drawback is cycling in leggings - I bloody well hate them.

Well i got some good news on the sponsorship front.
One sponsor agreed to double their pledge if I hit the 12k and I've managed to persuade my other sponsors to do so.
(This was during the time I had my crash in May 2005).
So hopefully when I hit the 12k mark, the Hospice Foundation will gain to the tune of between €4-5k.

Just want to thank BRF, Hemplands for all their encouragement and wise counsel.
Also a big thanks you to Fred C : very sound advise from one and all.

I love cycling the bike : I am only sorry I ever gave it up for my studies in my mid '20's.
It's a great thing to be able to cycle and the bike in itself teaches you a lot.
It teaches that there are more bad days than good, it teaches that you have to keep going to get to your destination.

Good lesson for cycling, great lessons for life.

limerickman said:
Tomorrow should see me approaching the 12,000 miles mark since 01/01/05.

Mileage to date = 11,809 miles.
I am taking a day off tomorrow and hope to hit between 75 and 100 miles.
Weather here this week has been really good : calm with a temp of between
6-10 celsius, no rain or snow.
Ideal cycling weather.
The one drawback is cycling in leggings - I bloody well hate them.

Well i got some good news on the sponsorship front.
One sponsor agreed to double their pledge if I hit the 12k and I've managed to persuade my other sponsors to do so.
(This was during the time I had my crash in May 2005).
So hopefully when I hit the 12k mark, the Hospice Foundation will gain to the tune of between €4-5k.

Just want to thank BRF, Hemplands for all their encouragement and wise counsel.
Also a big thanks you to Fred C : very sound advise from one and all.

I love cycling the bike : I am only sorry I ever gave it up for my studies in my mid '20's.
It's a great thing to be able to cycle and the bike in itself teaches you a lot.
It teaches that there are more bad days than good, it teaches that you have to keep going to get to your destination.

Good lesson for cycling, great lessons for life.
Well done and congrats. on your persistant achievement this year, despite having that bad tip up just as you were making excellent headway. You overcame that much to your credit and persisted with your target which you have achieved. Although brf and I go back a long time there is no chance of him EVER condoning weights. He's done well enough without them. It doesn't matter really, I was 5ft 9 and 10-04 and could climb, the extra total body power helped me along.
Well I wish you and yours a Happy and Holy Christmas. And as is it the season of goodwill to all mankind, any chance of Zapper coming back into the stable? We all miss his obliqueness tremendously, and he genuinely likes you. Did you know that?
Best wishes from Fred C

limerickman said:
Tomorrow should see me approaching the 12,000 miles mark since 01/01/05...
Good work, Lim, and it's good to see Hospices benefitting from it.
I hope that all of you XES have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I also hope that 2006 works out to be a good year for you all.
Regards,
Eoin

FredC said:
Well done and congrats. on your persistant achievement this year, despite having that bad tip up just as you were making excellent headway. You overcame that much to your credit and persisted with your target which you have achieved. Although brf and I go back a long time there is no chance of him EVER condoning weights. He's done well enough without them. It doesn't matter really, I was 5ft 9 and 10-04 and could climb, the extra total body power helped me along.
Well I wish you and yours a Happy and Holy Christmas. And as is it the season of goodwill to all mankind, any chance of Zapper coming back into the stable? We all miss his obliqueness tremendously, and he genuinely likes you. Did you know that?
Best wishes from Fred C

Fred : Happy Christmas to you and yours.
Hope it's a good one for you.

I enjoy the exchanges between yourself and BRF : plenty of good info
and Over the Hill sounds like a man who's been there and done that.

I'll mail you privately.