Xes - Message Board

EoinC said:
She just gets better and better...
Any word on FredC?
Regards,
Eoin
hi there strange isn't it she still uses her married name Anderson,, i suppose her maiden name cuts no ice.

good week this week 440 kms brings mi total up to 1840kms not 2 bad from the 5th of Jan..will have a week off from Thursday,(8/14th) going to ROME with Mrs BRF, its our 41st wedding anniversary so do in Rome what the romans do..( find a bike shop and borrow a bike )... will be looking into this years races calendar when i get back, i have a rough guide, it only needs fine tuning... bon courage.. no word on Fred C

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there strange isn't it she still uses her married name Anderson,, i suppose her maiden name cuts no ice.

good week this week 440 kms brings mi total up to 1840kms not 2 bad from the 5th of Jan..will have a week off from Thursday,(8/14th) going to ROME with Mrs BRF, its our 41st wedding anniversary so do in Rome what the romans do..( find a bike shop and borrow a bike )... will be looking into this years races calendar when i get back, i have a rough guide, it only needs fine tuning... bon courage.. no word on Fred C

BRF : re Roma : there are plenty of great cycling shops in Rome - recommend Lazzaretti's on Via Bergamo especially (Spagna Tube stop is close by).
They sell Bianchi, Colnago and Pinarello - nice shop to visit.
Another good shop is Cicli Pinarello on Via Appia Antica : well stocked shop.

I got married in Rome years ago.
Have to say me and Mrs.Limerickman love the place : been back there several times since.
Recommend you visit the Pantheon (superb), Collesium, the Vatican, Maria Majiore Cathederal, St John Latern's Catherderal.
The Forum is well worth a visit.
And watch out for the food too - superb it is.

Enjoy your trip!

limerickman said:
BRF : re Roma : there are plenty of great cycling shops in Rome - recommend Lazzaretti's on Via Bergamo especially (Spagna Tube stop is close by).
They sell Bianchi, Colnago and Pinarello - nice shop to visit.
Another good shop is Cicli Pinarello on Via Appia Antica : well stocked shop.

I got married in Rome years ago.
Have to say me and Mrs.Limerickman love the place : been back there several times since.
Recommend you visit the Pantheon (superb), Collesium, the Vatican, Maria Majiore Cathederal, St John Latern's Catherderal.
The Forum is well worth a visit.
And watch out for the food too - superb it is.

Enjoy your trip!
hi there and a happy new year to you both,, long time no speeeky, hope U2 are well.. yes its our first visit, we have wanted to go to rome for some time,, now with ryan air flying from gerona to rome for 1 euro we jumped at the chance,, however the 1 euro trip X = 4 euros, not on your nellie, taxes and charges bumped it up to 80 euros,, still very cheap... we are staying in a hotel near the station, and we have been informed its a walking around place, so plenty of exercise... yes i will note the bike shops and have a look. are U still riding the bike, lets us know... as you will have seen from above still buggering along,, YTD 1840 kms,, **** man.. bon courage.

bikeriderfrance said:
Well it's obviously time to quit before the season starts. Only managed 1200kms sice the 8th Jan, so it looks like the 24hr Champs is yours on a plate;)
It's going to be an interesting season as its a significant birthday for Mrs D this year, so we're treating ourselves to the best part of a month in S.Africa, mid March to Mid April. I think I get in one RR and a couple of TTs before we go. There's absolutely, definitately, no possibility of any bike riding while we are touring around.:(
So a serious question for all the master minds on this thread.......................
How would you get into shape when you got back? Given a decent level of fitness before you went?
Didn't you do something similar last Spring BRF??
I would ask Jaques Dupont but he's bcome unreliable lately, and I don't hear from Pevril at all!!!!!

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there and a happy new year to you both,, long time no speeeky, hope U2 are well.. yes its our first visit, we have wanted to go to rome for some time,, now with ryan air flying from gerona to rome for 1 euro we jumped at the chance,, however the 1 euro trip X = 4 euros, not on your nellie, taxes and charges bumped it up to 80 euros,, still very cheap... we are staying in a hotel near the station, and we have been informed its a walking around place, so plenty of exercise... yes i will note the bike shops and have a look. are U still riding the bike, lets us know... as you will have seen from above still buggering along,, YTD 1840 kms,, **** man.. bon courage.

Many happy returns BRF :

I know the area that you'll be staying in, in Rome.
You're close to the Termini Railway Station - which is a good vantage point as most places are well within walking distance.
So the advise that you got was spot on.
I can recommend a lovely little Italian restaurant within walking distance of your hotel just off the Via Nazionale.
The restaurant is called Trattoria Virmeneali on the Via Virmenali.
Familyrun restaurant - food is bellissimo.
But watch out for the complementary Grappa!

Just one word of advice - make sure to steer Mrs BRF away from the Via Condotti - you'll end up being fleeced (all the designer shops are there!).

I've been getting some miles in during January - 500 miles (about 700 kms).
Weather here was terrible in Jan - very very windy (100kms +).
I was going to resort to the rollers but I don't have the patience to sit there.

Take care.

limerickman said:
Many happy returns BRF :

I know the area that you'll be staying in, in Rome.
Take care.
hi there you were right, what a nice place, we walked about 20 miles over the 7 days we were there.. all the oldies in the hotel said it was 2 far from the hotel to the major sights, the Vatican was about 3.4 kms away,, we did it twice... the weather was bad for 3 days, lots of rain and cold, but we did have some good weather.. went to Naples on one bad day.. by train,,, had a great meal near the docks,, 3 courses full litre of red wine, cost 11 euro's all in.... and was the pizza good.

we found a good eating place just behind the station, good food, big pizza's,and great wine,,, we asked for the vino del casa.. each time the waiter, looked around and we ended up with 2002/2 13.5 % stuff.. not bad....

i did not find the bike shops, in-fact never saw a cyclist, Rome is not cycling country, but not one...

the Sistine chapel was just too much,, being well err a non christian did not matter, the impact on your feelings when you see such works of art are really unbelievable, how did they do it ?????

well its all over now, back in the UK in July, doing the rtcc 24hour .ok ok don't say it..

YTD today is 2000 kms, first event on the 4th of march a FFC 80kms job.. looking forward to it..

bon courage BRF...

Interesting on BBC TV sport to-day - at the athletics meeting, there was a "Devil Take the Hindmost" event.

Little Hazel said she'd never heard of such an event (they don't often have them in snooker, do they) but having enjoyed them in my youth, I was pleased to see the event given its proper name, even if only on the athletics track.

Why does the cycling world insist on the anodyne "Elimination Race" name? PC again?

Ah me!

John.

Jean Dubois said:
Well it's obviously time to quit before the season starts. Only managed 1200kms sice the 8th Jan, so it looks like the 24hr Champs is yours on a plate;)
It's going to be an interesting season as its a significant birthday for Mrs D this year, so we're treating ourselves to the best part of a month in S.Africa, mid March to Mid April. I think I get in one RR and a couple of TTs before we go. There's absolutely, definitately, no possibility of any bike riding while we are touring around.:(
So a serious question for all the master minds on this thread.......................
How would you get into shape when you got back? Given a decent level of fitness before you went?
Didn't you do something similar last Spring BRF??
I would ask Jaques Dupont but he's bcome unreliable lately, and I don't hear from Pevril at all!!!!!
Now the thing here is to stay in shape while your away. I shall also be away in Guadeloupe and its islands from 23 March to 16 April and am I bothered, not at all!!!
And this is the solution: we all now know that you can will yourself to cure an illness (some well known American cyclist showed proof of this) or actually change your physical wellbeing or makeup i.e. to stay fit or even improve. To do this you use your brain. Yes everyone has one believe it or not even... (no I better not say).
Now recent studies have shown that you can rewire your brain just by thinking about doing something. In an experiment the first group learned to play a little ditty on the piano whilst another group just imagined they were doing it and do you know what: the brain scans showed exactly the same hardwirng change in the subjects of both groups. So all you need to do is to imagine you'er actually riding your bike when in fact you're lying on the beach or spotting lions in Kruger park. Get it.
So why go out at all: well it just so happens that I like riding mi bike an' that's why I do it, don't you?

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there you were right, what a nice place, we walked about 20 miles over the 7 days we were there.. all the oldies in the hotel said it was 2 far from the hotel to the major sights, the Vatican was about 3.4 kms away,, we did it twice... the weather was bad for 3 days, lots of rain and cold, but we did have some good weather.. went to Naples on one bad day.. by train,,, had a great meal near the docks,, 3 courses full litre of red wine, cost 11 euro's all in.... and was the pizza good.

we found a good eating place just behind the station, good food, big pizza's,and great wine,,, we asked for the vino del casa.. each time the waiter, looked around and we ended up with 2002/2 13.5 % stuff.. not bad....

i did not find the bike shops, in-fact never saw a cyclist, Rome is not cycling country, but not one...

the Sistine chapel was just too much,, being well err a non christian did not matter, the impact on your feelings when you see such works of art are really unbelievable, how did they do it ?????

well its all over now, back in the UK in July, doing the rtcc 24hour .ok ok don't say it..

YTD today is 2000 kms, first event on the 4th of march a FFC 80kms job.. looking forward to it..

bon courage BRF...

Nice one BRF : yeah Rome is a great place - the Vatican museum is something else. All those tapestries/paintings : you've got to marvel at how they made them.
Sounds like you had a good trip.
We're hoping to get to Sienna later this year - I was told it's a lovely place.
I have to admit I'm a big fan of Italy - they're very laid back people.

Got out for my first 4 hour spin of this year - yesterday.
Weather here has been poor since Jan - and had been only getting out doing
regular three hour spins.
Yesterday the weather was bright but freezing : got 70 miles which isn't bad.
Was out this morning for a three hour spin - 48 miles.
Problem here is that you have to take your chances when the weather clears.

Keep pedalling!

John Knees said:
Interesting on BBC TV sport to-day - at the athletics meeting, there was a "Devil Take the Hindmost" event.

Little Hazel said she'd never heard of such an event (they don't often have them in snooker, do they) but having enjoyed them in my youth, I was pleased to see the event given its proper name, even if only on the athletics track.

Why does the cycling world insist on the anodyne "Elimination Race" name? PC again?

Ah me!

John.

JK - I saw that as well on BBC yesterday afternoon - I was defrostring myself after yesterdays spin and Colin Jackson was getting a bit excited at the prospect of the "hindmost".

Don't know why they have a different name on it in cycling fraternity.
We used do this event on the track over here and we called it the "hindmost".

limerickman said:
JK - I saw that as well on BBC yesterday afternoon - I was defrostring myself after yesterdays spin and Colin Jackson was getting a bit excited at the prospect of the "hindmost".

Don't know why they have a different name on it in cycling fraternity.
We used do this event on the track over here and we called it the "hindmost".
HI THERE JUST A QUICKIE, I RODE LOTS OF DttHINDMOST, I REALLY LIKED THAT EVENT, YOU COULD SIT IN THE BACK AND JUST PUNCH YOUR WAY THROUGH GOING TO THE LINE, SIT BACK AND DO IT NEXT TIME... STRANGE TO SAY A "DEVIL" WAS MY DOWNFALL ON THE TRACK, I MADE A COMEBACK IN 1988 (TRACK), AND I RODE A OPEN TRACK MEET AT NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME,, I GOT DOWN TO THE LAST 4, AND IN THE SPRINT TO THE LINE, I GOT HOOKED, AND FELL OFF IN A HEAP AT 40MPH.... MRS BRF JUMPED OVER THE TRACK WALL AND SED" THATS IT NO MORE TRACK,,, SO NO MORE TRACK,, BUT HELL WAS I SORE AND ALTHOUGH NO BREAKS I ACHED FOR 2 WEEKS,,,, WELL THERE YOU GO.. RAIN ON SAT/SUN BUT GOT OUT AND GOT A BIT DAMP.. ONLY ABOUT 100KMS... THIS MORNING BRIGHT AND SUNNY 100KMS WITH A USA PRO RIDER.. MMMMMMMMMM YTD IS JUST ON 2300KMS... SEE YA.

Getting hooked is terrible on the track - whatever control you might have on an open road, getting hooked in the bunch on the track is treacherous.
I bet you were sore - after you fell off - going at the speed.

The only track that we have in Ireland is at Sundrive Road - it's tarmac and it's got cement pillars round it, with wire between each pillar.
In my racing days, we used go down there during the summer each Wednesday night.
I was never much good at track riding but it was a chance to meet the lads from the opposition and to see who was going well.
One night there was an unmerciful crash at the top end - a novice got his line completely wrong and caused a massive pileup.
Lawrence Roche - brother of you know who - ended up buried in one of the pillars with 5 broken ribs, shredded right leg and a broken wrist.

Weather here has changed again - rain and gales - got out for 2.5hrs today.
No bad I suppose.

Keep pedalling!

limerickman said:
Getting hooked is terrible on the track - whatever control you might have on an open road, getting hooked in the bunch on the track is treacherous.
I bet you were sore - after you fell off - going at the speed.

The only track that we have in Ireland is at Sundrive Road - it's tarmac and it's got cement pillars round it, with wire between each pillar.
In my racing days, we used go down there during the summer each Wednesday night.
I was never much good at track riding but it was a chance to meet the lads from the opposition and to see who was going well.
One night there was an unmerciful crash at the top end - a novice got his line completely wrong and caused a massive pileup.
Lawrence Roche - brother of you know who - ended up buried in one of the pillars with 5 broken ribs, shredded right leg and a broken wrist.

Weather here has changed again - rain and gales - got out for 2.5hrs today.
No bad I suppose.

Keep pedalling!
hi there well another season is about to begin, i start my 2007 and 51st year on the bike.... sunday i am racing in a FFC job just below toulouse, its 80ks and i presume that there will be quite a few bods avinago... doing well with the milage or should i say kilometrge.. my total from the 8th of jan to today, is 3215kms.. and this is with 2 weeks out.. how......... well lots of good weather, and training with the elite 2 guys from mark makays training camp (on wednesdays) .. today i did 150 kms, @ 30kph.. not bad going.. must say i then ride on a thursday/tuesday/saturdays with mrs BRF at about 20kph, but still get in about 150 k's with her..the rest i rest..going out on mi new bike tomorrow, only done about 60k's on it since i bought it last year, seeing as i am training on a giant tcr carbon with carbon spinergy wheels, plus other trick carbon stuff, its just sat there... still it will be nice having a roll on my new corima deep carbon 12 spoke front 24 spoke back wheel, tubular tyred bike.(7.2 kgs) .. mm will let you know how i get on.. well thats it.. keep getting em in bon courage..

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there well another season is about to begin, i start my 2007 and 51st year on the bike.... sunday i am racing in a FFC job just below narbonne.
hi there well errr after 3500 kms inmilegs, i was well and truly bombed out of the back on sunday.. there was this errr pig of a hill just 2kms from the start, managed with a great deal of difficulty to get up it twice, 3rd time out of the back,, rode 70k out of 90k, got pulled out, too far behind the bunch or what was left of it....just out of mi depth... still i did manage to inflate the old lungs beyond anything since last year... ah well its back to the club run sunday, then race on the 18th.. will let you know how i get on... see ya ytd 3700 kms

bikeriderfrance said:
hi there well errr after 3500 kms inmilegs, i was well and truly bombed out of the back on sunday.. there was this errr pig of a hill just 2kms from the start, managed with a great deal of difficulty to get up it twice, 3rd time out of the back,, rode 70k out of 90k, got pulled out, too far behind the bunch or what was left of it....just out of mi depth... still i did manage to inflate the old lungs beyond anything since last year... ah well its back to the club run sunday, then race on the 18th.. will let you know how i get on... see ya ytd 3700 kms
Hi Guys
I've been so overwhelmed with the response to my request for post-holiday training advice, there's been no time to post on this thread!
The big departure day arrives on Saturday - 3 weeks + of big game hunting and shark baiting. Great!
Have done a couple of time trials and a RR so far. The 10 time was as good as any for me at this time of year. Managed a reasonable time in a 2 up 25, but more importantly was giving some stick, in the last 7 miles, to my fit young team mate. What do you mean Team time trial?
Sunday's RR was held in a gale with the inevitable consequences. Rode well but got on the wrong side of a split about half way through. More mental than physical. Just didn't react quickly enough to the obvious!
Trainings gone well...YTD 2100miles, which isn't far away from those girly kilometres you've done.
Must thank the "on the road" coach, Jacques Dupont for the ongoing training advice. It's easy to see why TBC pay him a substantial retainer!
We're both off to warm seas (on different continents) to improve our form with the "less is more technique" What a formidable team we'll be in this year's Big Soup!

Great training, riding and racing to one and all. :)

Jean Dubois said:
Hi Guys
I've been so overwhelmed with the response to my request for post-holiday training advice, there's been no time to post on this thread!
Trainings gone well...YTD 2100miles, which isn't far away from those girly !
hi there.. have a great holiday.. keep away from wild animals and women.. very cold here at the moment. 10 days ago we were all out in racing gear, and looking at the pool, maybe a swim, it was over 30c intbakyardlad. but last friday, the wind started to blow, since then we have got a a big freeze... managed to get out most days, but on one ride we had,we had to get off the bikes and walk or push against a headwind over the top of a col... i was on mi spinergy's **** man.. never again,, i have now poped in my spoked mavics on dura ace hubs... spinergys only when the wind goes away.. today i have been out with a couple of guys, we had to go up into the mountains. too dangerous to ride on the plain ( rousillion), so we went up and up and up.. we had a cup of coffee at a cafe at a place called st marsal, about 1500mts up.. there was snow on the roads and about 3/4c,, but the wind was fantastic... hey did we drop like stones back down onto the valley, tail wind all the way home....great.. when we had the sun without the wind on our backs, it was quite warm... still carnt complain YTD is 4220 kms...thats with 2 weeks off.... see ya have a good hol.. see ya maybe in july, (24hr)...bon courage.

Hi Guys... looks as though it's beeen pretty quiet around here over the last month! Now back from ZA, just a bit of trouble getting the Big 5 through customs, but nothing like the hassle of carrying 3 bottles of African cooking oil off an international flight and trying to take it on to the domestic shuttle! "But it's a present". Apparently it was a serious explosive threat and had to be confiscated. Just imagine the pleasure at seeing the fellow passengers stowing hundreds of duty free fags in the overhead lockers. Much safer apparently!
Training in the back end of last week got underway well, that was until the "mystery virus" Doctor says it will probably just go, but maybe not, so gave up a litre of blood for testing yesterday. Feel great one minute, then it's back to a splitting headache and aching joints. Want me money back for those F...ing expensive Malaria tablets. Hope operation Puerto doesn't restart in Manchester while I've got so much blood bagged up.
Anyhow decided to give it a go on Sunday. Felt great in the neutralised but then went off the back on a slight rise on Lap 2 out of 4, when we went ever so slightly faster!
It's a tough game bikeriding, especially with the TLI over 50s.
Great to see the Brits are doing so well, and I hope you all are too.
Off for a quick lie down so I have the strength to wheel the bike out of the garage.