XLR8R tubesets gone?

JUCurtis

Nov 7, 2003
My understanding is that Columbus no longer sells their XLR8R tubeset. In fact, it came and went fairly quickly. If this is correct, does anyone know why? Has anyone had a shimmy problem with these tubes?

I need to replace a 2003 Orbea XLR8R frameset which no longer appears in the 2004 line-up--hopefully with a model of equivalent value. Seems as if their Lobular alum/carbon frame, previously #3 in the product lineup after XLR8R may be the substitute, albeit at a very slightly heavier weight. At 165 lbs., I don't need a heavy-duty frame, but going the other way toward a Starship seems like it might be just a little too light.

Thanks.

Originally posted by JUCurtis
I need to replace a 2003 Orbea XLR8R frameset which no longer appears in the 2004 line-up--hopefully with a model of equivalent value.

The XLR8R frame still appears in Orbea's 2004 line on their European website and a Google search turns up a few other companies offering the frameset, most noteably Cinelli.

I'm interested in your comment about a shimmy in XLR8R frames; has this been your experience? I've had my Orbea XLR8R for a few months now, and I have noticed a very slight shimmy, especially at speed. At first, I thought it was my imagination, and then I thought perhaps my front wheel was slightly out of true, or the hub not quite as tight as it could be, but your shimmy question has me wondering...

I had a very pronounced shimmy with frequent scary "death wobbles" at speeds approaching and over 30mph. It wasn't all the time, but it was a lot. It was greatly improved after I changed wheels, but I still get an occasional wobble at higher speeds--usually above 30mph, and I can consistently induce a wobble at lower speeds, as low as 21mph by coasting no-handed--although that is better also since changing wheels. The bike does feel overly twitchy at speeds much above 30-35mph. I like everything else about it, and that's why I was wondering if the XLR8R tubeset had something to do with the shimmy and its disappearance from this year's product line. But since you say XLR8R tubes are still in the lineup in Europe, I just don't know.

My frame is a custom-fitting, but it's not large (56cm) and none of the measurements are radical or that much different from the equivalent stock size.

Only just found the forum and I am interested in your comments on the XLR8R frame. I used a 2003 Orbea XLR8R last season and had no problems what so ever and that included some long fast mountain decents in Italy. I'm sure I would have noticed had there been an problems. But the season before I used two Orbea Starship frames and one of those used to shimmy. The XLR8R frame is still showing as available on the Orbea website at http://www.orbea.com/.

I am about to sell my XLR8R frame so you know anyone who wants a perfect example, then I have a 55cm version with a carbon rear end in Pro Mediterranium decor.

I have been riding an Orbea XLR8R (58cm) for the past year without any mentioned shimmy issues. I have gone as fast as 50mph down a hill on high way 1 near Santa Cruz and the bike is as steady as can be.

Columbus may be getting out of the market, but I believe you'll see very similar tubesets popping up from custom builders as well as Orbea and others.

I read that Martec (one of the big Taiwan sources) has a new carbon factory being built this year which will employ up to 3000. When they get production going, believe a lot of mid-level bikes and custom builders will show up with similar carbon tubes....or all-carbon frames.

JUCurtis said:
My understanding is that Columbus no longer sells their XLR8R tubeset. In fact, it came and went fairly quickly. If this is correct, does anyone know why? Has anyone had a shimmy problem with these tubes?

I need to replace a 2003 Orbea XLR8R frameset which no longer appears in the 2004 line-up--hopefully with a model of equivalent value. Seems as if their Lobular alum/carbon frame, previously #3 in the product lineup after XLR8R may be the substitute, albeit at a very slightly heavier weight. At 165 lbs., I don't need a heavy-duty frame, but going the other way toward a Starship seems like it might be just a little too light.

Thanks.

Hello, I have a 2003 Orbea Starship Tubing w/Carbon Seat stay and Zeus FCM all carbon fork that I'm willing to sell at $525 free shipping. Email me at: [email protected] if you want to see pics.