xPower (in Golden Cheetah) V.S. Normalized Power

MarkM13

Dec 18, 2009
I've started using GC after jumping ship from "Power Agent".
I'm really liking it with the exception of a few GUI complaints.
Anyway, could someone explain xPower in Golden Cheetah.
Is it the same as normalized power?

Thanks,
Mark

The short answer is it's the same. The longer answer is it uses exponential smoothing instead of a moving average, which leads to slight numerical differences in some cases. In practice it won't matter though. I believe they use it because trainingpeaks somehow trademarked the term "normalized power". (I say somehow because the term was in use before they adopted it so it seems strange that they got away with that.)

NP et al are implemented in GC v3 with permission from Training Peaks, which is in development. But yeah, xPower and NP are almost identical.

What GUI complaints (we have a new revamped UI in v3, btw) ?

Originally Posted by liversedge .

What GUI complaints (we have a new revamped UI in v3, btw) ?
It would be great to have the interval data that is shown under the "Ride Summary" tab visible while viewing the "Ride Plot" tab. As of now, when analyzing the "Ride Plot" I'm always having to jump back to the summary page to get specific interval data.

Quickly it gets too messy, if it's table like the one you see up there nearby pointer line (in the ride plot) during drag/pick interval manually and if there is some 'best x time' or calculated best intervals to be seen in this plot..

Anyone understood what I tried to say? :D

Sweeeeeet! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I've been living with GC for a while now and there's no going back.

When will 3.0 be released???

M