xs or xxs frame for a 163cm male?....

newbiker2012

Apr 29, 2012
i already have a thread open on my fitting issues but i have more of a specific question i would like to get feedback on i have a question for male and female riders around 163cm..... i cant decide if i should get the xs or the xxs in the argon 18 gallium... i have a short heigth (163cm), inseam (28" 72 cm) and short arms and feet and torso, most regular sized bikes do not fit me at all... as i had mentioned in a previous post, i had a fitting done and was told that i should be riding a frame with a 50cm top tube, but only the 44-46 sized frames come with a top tube this short

here are the geometries.... xs has a 52 TT, 10.6 HT length, 74.5 ST angle, the xxs has a 50.2 TT, 10.1 HT length and 75.5 ST angle

i test rode both... the xs had a 90mm stam and the xxs had a 70mm stem

the xs felt good but not perfect, the reach felt just a fractional amount too long and since the bike already came with a 90mm stem, didnt want to risk it and have to go to a 80 or shorter stem so i figured the xxs would be a better fit

the xxs felt very comfy both in the saddle and out of it, even with the 70mm stem (which i will be swapping out for a 90-100 if i buy this bike) however, when out of the saddle on the hoods and really exaggertaingly pushing my knees fwd, i could hit the bars with my knees.... the bike felt maybe a tad cramped but that would be fixed with a longer stem

so i guess my question is, does the xxs sound too small? i want the aero look to my bike and i want alot of exposed seatpost and a a longish stem but not at the expense of proper fit.... when the xxs was set up for my by the dealer, it didnt have more than normal amount of seatpost exposed so wouldnt that suggest the xxs is the right size? the amount of exposed seatpost on the xs's i tested (on the cannondale and the argon) seemed a little low which suggested that they were a tad big?

any thoughts would be much appreciated
thanks
user_online.gif
progress.gif