XT 760 Replacement Chain Ring

Craig Brossman

Guest
While I am generally happy with the performance of the XT
hollow-whatever crank, I had to replace the small chain ring after 1.5
years, and now I think it is time for the middle to be replaced.
I can't seem to find XT chain rings anywhere, my favored LBS has LX and
I really don't mind that. I'm told it is a little heavier, but not as soft.

What are people using for replacement chain rings on XT cranks, as it
appears difficult to find Shimano replacements?

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Craig Brossman wrote:
> While I am generally happy with the performance of the XT
> hollow-whatever crank, I had to replace the small chain ring after 1.5
> years, and now I think it is time for the middle to be replaced.
> I can't seem to find XT chain rings anywhere, my favored LBS has LX and
> I really don't mind that. I'm told it is a little heavier, but not as soft.
>
> What are people using for replacement chain rings on XT cranks, as it
> appears difficult to find Shimano replacements?

Weird. Every retail outlet I check has them labeled as LX/XT middle
ring. Even if there was an XT, what could the weight difference be? 5
or 10 grams?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>> While I am generally happy with the performance of the XT hollow-whatever
>> crank, I had to replace the small chain ring after 1.5 years, and now I
>> think it is time for the middle to be replaced.
>> I can't seem to find XT chain rings anywhere, my favored LBS has LX and I
>> really don't mind that. I'm told it is a little heavier, but not as soft.
>>
>> What are people using for replacement chain rings on XT cranks, as it
>> appears difficult to find Shimano replacements?
>>

> Weird. Every retail outlet I check has them labeled as LX/XT middle ring.
> Even if there was an XT, what could the weight difference be? 5 or 10
> grams?
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Middleburn - Tough as..

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>> While I am generally happy with the performance of the XT
>> hollow-whatever crank, I had to replace the small chain ring after 1.5
>> years, and now I think it is time for the middle to be replaced.
>> I can't seem to find XT chain rings anywhere, my favored LBS has LX
>> and I really don't mind that. I'm told it is a little heavier, but not
>> as soft.
>>
>> What are people using for replacement chain rings on XT cranks, as it
>> appears difficult to find Shimano replacements?
>>

> Weird. Every retail outlet I check has them labeled as LX/XT middle
> ring. Even if there was an XT, what could the weight difference be? 5
> or 10 grams?

Weight is not much of an issue for me, my XC bike weights around 30lbs,
and rides everything I do.

I got the "LX" ones put on, worked fine.

--

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> Craig Brossman wrote:
>>
>>> While I am generally happy with the performance of the XT
>>> hollow-whatever crank, I had to replace the small chain ring after
>>> 1.5 years, and now I think it is time for the middle to be replaced.
>>> I can't seem to find XT chain rings anywhere, my favored LBS has LX
>>> and I really don't mind that. I'm told it is a little heavier, but
>>> not as soft.
>>>
>>> What are people using for replacement chain rings on XT cranks, as it
>>> appears difficult to find Shimano replacements?
>>>

>> Weird. Every retail outlet I check has them labeled as LX/XT middle
>> ring. Even if there was an XT, what could the weight difference be?
>> 5 or 10 grams?
>>

> Weight is not much of an issue for me, my XC bike weights around 30lbs,
> and rides everything I do.
>
> I got the "LX" ones put on, worked fine.

I used Deore level steel rings to replace the middle rings on both of my
XT cranks. The XT rings wore out so fast, you'd think they were made
from some sort of cheese alloy. The Deore level ones were half the
price and have lasted three times as long.

KLydesdale wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Weird. Every retail outlet I check has them labeled as LX/XT middle
>>> ring. Even if there was an XT, what could the weight difference be?
>>> 5 or 10 grams?
>>>

>> Weight is not much of an issue for me, my XC bike weights around
>> 30lbs, and rides everything I do.
>>
>> I got the "LX" ones put on, worked fine.
>>

> I used Deore level steel rings to replace the middle rings on both of my
> XT cranks. The XT rings wore out so fast, you'd think they were made
> from some sort of cheese alloy. The Deore level ones were half the
> price and have lasted three times as long.

That is what I ended up doing. I hope they last a bit longer.