XT Crankset - Worth It?

>Would a new crankset be a worth-while upgrade to my Cannondale F400? The Shimano M752 is an "XT"
>component and only $89. This seems like a relatively cheep upgrade to "XT Status" from the stock
>Sugino MX300. See the links below for sources... any ideas?
>
>Thanks, -Ross
>

>LINKS:
>
> - Cannondale F400: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=15901&Store=Bike
> - Shimano M752: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=15901&Store=Bike

Crankset upgrades are mostly aesthetic and "status". There is not really much of an advantage from
one cranskset to another in terms of performance. If your chainrings are straight and you like your
gear ratios, keep the same crank.

Andres

On 24 Jul 2003 03:51:35 GMT, AndresMuro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Crankset upgrades are mostly aesthetic and "status". There is not really much of an advantage from
> one cranskset to another in terms of performance. If your chainrings are straight and you like
> your gear ratios, keep the same crank.

In my experience, besides the status / appearance upgrades, changing your crankset (especially from
a very low-end to a good piece) will save significant weight.

Also, if your old crankset is worn, replacing it will result in efficiency savings...it doesn't take
much to wear down a cheap chainrings; a cheap crankset generally has riveted rings, and when all is
said and done, it's worth replacing a cheap, worn, heavy, riveted crankset with a nice new one.

Additionally, upgrading your "status" and appearance are not completely worthless. Anything that
makes you more excited about riding, or otherwise causes you to ride more, is a worthwhile upgrade.

--
Rick Onanian

ross-<< Would a new crankset be a worth-while upgrade to my Cannondale F400? The Shimano M752 is an
"XT" component and only $89. This seems like a relatively cheep upgrade to "XT Status" from the
stock Sugino MX300. See the links below for sources... any ideas? >><BR><BR>

Doesn't this need a ES-70 BB?If so, beware that this is the only crank shimano makes using this BB
in length 113/116. Splines are same for the LX one but longer spindle..AND shimano is going to stop
making this crank/BB in 2004...so in the future, you may not be able to get a BB...

On 24 Jul 2003 12:36:37 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>ross-<< Would a new crankset be a worth-while upgrade to my Cannondale F400? The Shimano M752 is an
>"XT" component and only $89. This seems like a relatively cheep upgrade to "XT Status" from the
>stock Sugino MX300. See the links below for sources... any ideas? >><BR><BR>
>
>Doesn't this need a ES-70 BB?If so, beware that this is the only crank shimano makes using this BB
>in length 113/116. Splines are same for the LX one but longer spindle..AND shimano is going to stop
>making this crank/BB in 2004...so in the future, you may not be able to get a BB...
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

AND it is very noisy... I've got one and constantly need to re-grease and adjust the thing to keep
the chainring bolts from creaking.

I have the same problem mine creak a lot .Have to take off regresses then thell be quiet for a few
rides .And I don't ride in knee deep water .

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

> Additionally, upgrading your "status" and appearance are not completely worthless. Anything that
> makes you more excited about riding, or otherwise causes you to ride more, is a worthwhile
> upgrade.

Fabrizio? Is that you?

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:16:20 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Additionally, upgrading your "status" and appearance are not completely worthless. Anything that
>> makes you more excited about riding, or otherwise causes you to ride more, is a worthwhile
>> upgrade.
>
> Fabrizio? Is that you?

Gah! I am certainly not THAT troll. I'm a different troll. <G>

I really don't care about appearance to others, with the exception of when I think it will change
how they treat me (I like to be taken seriously, so I probably wouln't put a Huffy decal on my
bike). Mostly, I just like to get excited about seeing something cool on my bike, or fooling myself
into thinking that the 25 grams I just saved will make me faster (it does, just through excitement).

--
Rick Onanian

I upgraded the Bontrager Comp crankset that came with my bike to the XT - huge improvement. Note
that I also had to replace the bottom bracket, original component being a Shimano BB-LP27, so you
need to add another $30 or so for that, I replaced with a the XT: Shimano ES70.

So weight wise I dropped 110g on the BB and 115g on the crankset - that's half a pound!

Secondly, there's the asthetics of it, way cooler

Third, I switched the crank length from 175mm to 170mm and I'm much happier, my knees feel much
better, and I probably hit rocks slightly less frequently (my BB is quite low on the bike)

And most importantly the XT system has done 200 miles and looks to be in very near to new shape and
shifts very well. The Bontrager on the other hand had only done 390 before I replaced it, twice I
had been forced to take the granny gear off to hammer it flat after bending it while riding, I was
getting awful chain suck from it, and hated the damn thing.

Roland.