xt derailleur and 48 tooth chainring

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gerrit Van Wijk, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference between
    chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    gerrit van wijk wrote:
    > I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference between
    > chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?

    Don't know if this helps, but I'm running 44-32-20 which is a 24 tooth difference -- XTR DR. Getting
    the DR adjusted so that it'll down and upshift between the 20 and the 32 is about a 1/4 turn
    tolerance.

    David

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference between
    | chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?

    Top swing (new style) no (well, maybe)

    Bottom Swing (old style) yes

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/10/2003

  4. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference between
    > | chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?
    >
    > Top swing (new style) no (well, maybe)
    >
    > Bottom Swing (old style) yes

    I really need someone to explain what the point of topswing mechs is, asides the fact that they fit
    to certain sussers when traditional ones don't. They look crap, and break a lot. Oh and then there's
    the rattling.

    Andy Chequer

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:GJ%[email protected]...

    | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of
    22
    | > | teeth difference between chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference
    | > | (48-36-22)?
    | >
    | > Top swing (new style) no (well, maybe)
    | >
    | > Bottom Swing (old style) yes
    |
    | I really need someone to explain what the point of topswing mechs is,
    asides
    | the fact that they fit to certain sussers when traditional ones don't.
    They
    | look crap, and break a lot. Oh and then there's the rattling.

    I've never seen any technical data from Shimano about it, but when it comes to small chainring
    setups (compact drive) the top swing derailleurs seem to work better. I suppose it is in the way the
    cage arcs.

    Bike companies seem to like using the top-swing style unless they absolutely can't (as on the Gary
    Fisher Sugars) Apparently Shimano produces the things
    10:1 against bottom swing.

    Consider my fleet - Prodigy; XT BSTP Rockhopper; XT BSBP Cruiser; XT BSBP High Sierra; DX BSBP
    Cadex; XT BSBP Ground Control; XT TSTP Big Sur; LX TSTP

    The last two only have top pulls because I got them for chump change on Ebay.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/10/2003

  6. Andy Chequer wrote:

    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>| I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference between
    >>| chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?
    >>
    >>Top swing (new style) no (well, maybe)
    >>
    >>Bottom Swing (old style) yes
    >

    > I really need someone to explain what the point of topswing mechs is, asides the fact that they
    > fit to certain sussers when traditional ones don't. They look crap, and break a lot. Oh and then
    > there's the rattling.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    i'm tring to remember just what the spin was on the difference. seems to me that it was the
    difference in the way the cage moves. a topswing moves Up as it moves inward. that (in
    combination with cage shape) was supposed to ease the chain off the bigger rings to aid in down
    shifting under load.

  7. In article <GJ%[email protected]>, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> says...

    > "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | I think shimano states a xt front derailleur can handle a maximum of 22 teeth difference
    > > | between chainrings (44-32-22). But could it handle a 26 teeth difference (48-36-22)?
    > >
    > > Top swing (new style) no (well, maybe)
    > >
    > > Bottom Swing (old style) yes
    >
    > I really need someone to explain what the point of topswing mechs is, asides the fact that they
    > fit to certain sussers when traditional ones don't. They look crap, and break a lot. Oh and then
    > there's the rattling.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Maybe you haven't seen the Shimano marketing department's mantra yet; "Replacement! Replacement!
    Replacement!"
    --

  8. legweak

    legweak New Member