XT Disc Brake Dual Control Front M765 assy Shimano

Rob.

Guest
I have been given XT Disc Brake Dual Control Front M765 Shimino assy
(for Christmas) its new.

When shifting I can only get 3 gears (and not the 9 ) it will also
return back through those 3 gears.

It seems to be rotated by 6 notches and only 3 clicks are available, I
can't even remove or see the gear cable end as if one has to replace it.

Is there a way to reset the ratchet so the 9 notches become
available? or is there some faulty assembly of the change mechanism?
I have looked and played with the pauls no success.

How is it done or where can I look for any instructions.

Thanks

On 2008-02-13, Rob. <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have been given XT Disc Brake Dual Control Front M765 Shimino assy
> (for Christmas) its new.
>
> When shifting I can only get 3 gears (and not the 9 ) it will also
> return back through those 3 gears.
>
> It seems to be rotated by 6 notches and only 3 clicks are available, I
> can't even remove or see the gear cable end as if one has to replace it.

First off, make sure you've got the rear (right) lever connected to the
rear derailer. If you'd gotten them reversed, it would certainly cause
something like what you're describing. If not that, your problem is most
likely on the derailer end. Something like incorrect limit stop settings
or clamping the cable to the derailer when the shifter's not in the high
gear (cable fully released) position could cause what you describe. I'd
go through the full adjustment ritual just as with any other shifter:

<http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html>

If that doesn't work, make sure the cable is correctly installed in the
shifter. See Shimano's service instructions at
<http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp>. Look for "ST-M765
Dual Control Lever for Disc Brake" on that page.

On 2008-02-13, Steve Gravrock <[email protected]> wrote:

> If that doesn't work, make sure the cable is correctly installed in the
> shifter. See Shimano's service instructions at
><http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp>. Look for "ST-M765
> Dual Control Lever for Disc Brake" on that page.

That won't quite get you there. On that page mouse over the XTR crankset
(above "Mountain Bike"), click "Deore XT", and then scroll down.

Steve Gravrock wrote:
> On 2008-02-13, Rob. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have been given XT Disc Brake Dual Control Front M765 Shimino assy
>>(for Christmas) its new.
>>
>>When shifting I can only get 3 gears (and not the 9 ) it will also
>>return back through those 3 gears.
>>
>>It seems to be rotated by 6 notches and only 3 clicks are available, I
>>can't even remove or see the gear cable end as if one has to replace it.

> First off, make sure you've got the rear (right) lever connected to the
> rear derailer. If you'd gotten them reversed, it would certainly cause
> something like what you're describing. If not that, your problem is most
> likely on the derailer end. Something like incorrect limit stop settings
> or clamping the cable to the derailer when the shifter's not in the high
> gear (cable fully released) position could cause what you describe. I'd
> go through the full adjustment ritual just as with any other shifter:
>
> <http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html>
>
> If that doesn't work, make sure the cable is correctly installed in the
> shifter. See Shimano's service instructions at
> <http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp>. Look for "ST-M765
> Dual Control Lever for Disc Brake" on that page.

Yep found all that but still get it to work.

In the bit to remove the cable item 3.

It says to Operate the lever eight times and check the indicator is in
the lowest position. This is to remove the cable.

The indicator is at the lowest position but the cable is still in
position six.

Thus is the problem I can't get it back to the lowest position, its zero
position is six. I can move it up three and back three.

I can't get the cable drum to sit at zero. Looked at the ratchet system
inside still no avail.

Its has not been fitted so the cable is hanging out. Nothing to do with
the derailleur adjustment.

Thanks.