XT Disc Brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Bond

Well, I'm ordering a 2003 XT grouppo for whatever frame I end up getting this summer. Tufts Cycling
got sponsored by Shimano again, so stuff is pretty much dirt cheap.. how cheap I can't say because
of the terms of the sponsorship. But its cheap.

Anyway, the way it works is that I can add XT disc brakes to the order, and also get a separate
shifter pod (SL) instead of STI. That in itself is nice. However, I've already got XT shift
pods, and my old bike doesn't have any disc tabs, so a shifter/lever combo isn't a bad thing for
that bike.

Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its pretty
much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or something
of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on whenever I get
that bike.

I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
getting the XTs instead.

Comments?

Jon "Commander" Bond

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Well, I'm ordering a 2003 XT grouppo for whatever frame I end up getting this summer. Tufts
> Cycling got sponsored by Shimano again, so stuff is pretty much dirt cheap.. how cheap I can't say
> because of the terms of the sponsorship. But its cheap.
>
> Anyway, the way it works is that I can add XT disc brakes to the order, and also get a separate
> shifter pod (SL) instead of STI. That in itself is nice. However, I've already got XT shift
> pods, and my old bike doesn't have any disc tabs, so a shifter/lever combo isn't a bad thing for
> that bike.
>
> Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its
> pretty much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or
> something of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on
> whenever I get that bike.
>
> I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
> day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
> getting the XTs instead.
>
> Comments?
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond
>

Oh yeah, the disks are instead of getting v brake calipers too, so the replacement of the v's with
discs is about the cost I listed above.

Jon "Commander" Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its
> pretty much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or
> something of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on
> whenever I get that bike.
>
> I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
> day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
> getting the XTs instead.
>
> Comments?

I use a set, I love them to death. They are not "on/off". You have total control through modulation
and they are very powerful. Save yourself the money and go for the XT's. Make sure that when you get
them, that you have the correct sized length for the hose, you will have to measure up your bike in
that case. They are so nice that we are getting them for Jim's new bike now too.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

> I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches,

Well, MBA, thought so, I have a pair and find the modulation perfect. With V-brakes you sometimes
use brute power especially on long strenuous decents. With XTs one light finger is enough. The first
rides you have to brake them in after that they are excellent.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its
>>pretty much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or
>>something of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on
>>whenever I get that bike.
>>
>>I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
>>day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
>>getting the XTs instead.
>>
>>Comments?
>
>
> I use a set, I love them to death. They are not "on/off". You have total control through
> modulation and they are very powerful. Save yourself the money and go for the XT's. Make sure that
> when you get them, that you have the correct sized length for the hose, you will have to measure
> up your bike in that case. They are so nice that we are getting them for Jim's new bike now too.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
>

That could be a problem....

The order is due before xmas... I won't have the bike until this summer at the earliest. however,
they didn't ask for hose length, so I think the 2003 brakes might be adjustable... nice!

I wish I could swing the XTR deal, its amazingly inexpensive for what you get... but not if I'm
buying a new bike, new wheels, and all that jazz too!

Jon "Commander" Bond

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Jonathan Bond wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm ordering a 2003 XT grouppo for whatever frame I end up getting this summer. Tufts
>> Cycling got sponsored by Shimano again, so stuff is pretty much dirt cheap.. how cheap I can't
>> say because of the terms of the sponsorship. But its cheap.
>>
>> Anyway, the way it works is that I can add XT disc brakes to the order, and also get a separate
>> shifter pod (SL) instead of STI. That in itself is nice. However, I've already got XT shift
>> pods, and my old bike doesn't have any disc tabs, so a shifter/lever combo isn't a bad thing for
>> that bike.
>>
>> Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its
>> pretty much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or
>> something of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on
>> whenever I get that bike.
>>
>> I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
>> day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
>> getting the XTs instead.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Jon "Commander" Bond
>>
>
> Oh yeah, the disks are instead of getting v brake calipers too, so the replacement of the v's with
> discs is about the cost I listed above.
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond
>

Correction on the correction.. the upgrade for both brakes is about the price of ONE the DEORE
brakes. wow. Screw the minis!

Jon "Commander" Bond

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:52:24 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jonathan Bond wrote:
>
>> I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power any
>> day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be worth
>> getting the XTs instead.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>It's from a magazine, but it backs up my thoughts: http://www.hopetech.com/news/news_index.htm

How come they didn't mention Avid Mechanicals?...hmmmm who paid who for that test?

Peace, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:01:26 +0000, Jonathan Bond did issue forth:

> The order is due before xmas... I won't have the bike until this summer at the earliest. however,
> they didn't ask for hose length, so I think the 2003 brakes might be adjustable... nice!

If not, then the Deore hoses are adjustable in length, and apparently will work happily with the
XT brakes.

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

> > I use a set, I love them to death. They are not "on/off". You have total control through
> > modulation and they are very powerful. Save yourself the money and go for the XT's. Make sure
> > that when you get them, that you
have
> > the correct sized length for the hose, you will have to measure up your
bike
> > in that case. They are so nice that we are getting them for Jim's new
bike
> > now too.
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
> >
>
>
> That could be a problem....
>
> The order is due before xmas... I won't have the bike until this summer at the earliest. however,
> they didn't ask for hose length, so I think the 2003 brakes might be adjustable... nice!

Apparently you can cut/adjust the 2003's. You can't do it with the 2002's (which I am running and
which we are installing on Jim's bike).

> I wish I could swing the XTR deal, its amazingly inexpensive for what you get... but not if I'm
> buying a new bike, new wheels, and all that jazz too!

I wouldn't mind a set of those brakes, they look schweet!

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

>
>
> Carla A-G wrote:
> > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Either way, are the XT disc brakes worth the order? I can't give you the exact cost, but its
> >>pretty much around the price of one disc brake... for the set. I was going to get Hope Minis or
> >>something of the like when I could afford them, but I can get the XT discs now and put them on
> >>whenever I get that bike.
> >>
> >>I have heard that XTs are something of ON/OFF switches, and I do prefer modulation over power
> >>any day... but with a set of minis running more than twice the price of these ones, it might be
> >>worth getting the XTs instead.
> >>
> >>Comments?
> >
> >
> > I use a set, I love them to death. They are not "on/off". You have total control through
> > modulation and they are very powerful. Save yourself the money and go for the XT's. Make sure
> > that when you get them, that you have the correct sized length for the hose, you will have to
> > measure up your bike in that case. They are so nice that we are getting them for Jim's new bike
> > now too.
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
> >
>
>
>

> I wish I could swing the XTR deal, its amazingly inexpensive for what you get... but not if I'm
> buying a new bike, new wheels, and all that jazz too!
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond

Looks like the xtr have cuttable hoses, hopefully the xt's will too
http://www.speedgoat.com/prod/store/categorie.asp?cid=3&m=Shimano .

I say go for it. Just get the hoses xtra long even if they're not cuttable. Also, you can set-up
some hydro systems as On/Off or more modulated depending on your taste. Personally, I much prefer
the on/off feeling.
--
Slacker

> >
>
>
>
>

It doesn't really matter, you can replace the braided line with Jagwire Kevlar line that has that
braided pattern on it, you can cut it and it looks the same to anyone else. I just put together a
Grimeca System 8 caliper and Deore lever with some of this tubing and it works great. Also it
doesn't cut a hole in your frame like a wire rope saw.

--

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:52:55 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>It was a test of apples and apples Bill. Hydraulics vs hydraulics. The review was fair as far as I
>could tell having both Hayes and Hope Minis myself. Everything they said was true. I don't believe
>anyone bought this one. I have ridden a bike with Avids and while I can tell you they are very
>good, hydraulics are still better.
>
>Mike
>
But are they as simple to set up and maintain?

Bill(new to the disc stuff but liking every minute)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window
glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an
interpretation of the world.
:-]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:01:26 +0000, Jonathan Bond did issue forth:
>
> > The order is due before xmas... I won't have the bike until this summer at the earliest.
> > however, they didn't ask for hose length, so I think the 2003 brakes might be
> > adjustable... nice!
>
> If not, then the Deore hoses are adjustable in length, and apparently will work happily with the
> XT brakes.
>
>

The fittings aren't the same compression acorn vs. banjo nut, but they bits and pieces are cheap,
any shop should have them.
--

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:52:55 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >It was a test of apples and apples Bill. Hydraulics vs hydraulics. The review was fair as far as
> >I could tell having both Hayes and Hope Minis myself. Everything they said was true. I don't
> >believe anyone bought this one. I have ridden a bike with Avids and while I can tell you they are
> >very good, hydraulics are still better.
> >
> >Mike
> >
> But are they as simple to set up and maintain?
>

In the case of Shimano Deore, I would have to say more so. Besides being cheaper than Avids (which I
don't understand), you just bleed once which takes no longer than cutting and fitting two brake
cables and it never needs adjustment even after replacing pads.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.