XT free hub bodies are cheese

pauly

Guest
They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2 years.
Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty good
at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for a
set of 440's.

Pauly

"pauly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2

years.
> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty

good
> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for

> set of 440's.

Out of curiosity, how do you clean your cassette? Use any degreasers? What
do you weigh?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:26:53 -0700, Duncan wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> "pauly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2 years.
>> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
>> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty good
>> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for a
>> set of 440's.

> Out of curiosity, how do you clean your cassette?Use any degreasers?

water , brush and simple green. It's the free hub (ratcheting mechanism )
that fails not the cassette. And no I don't spray water into the hub body.

> What do you weigh?

220 lbs.

pauly wrote:
> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2 years.
> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty good
> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for a
> set of 440's.
>
> Pauly

I would nuke one of those pieces of garbage in less than six months.
Nothing less than Hugi for me anymore.

JD

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:00:24 -0700, JD wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> pauly wrote:
>> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2 years.
>> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
>> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty good
>> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for a
>> set of 440's.
>>
>> Pauly

> I would nuke one of those pieces of garbage in less than six months.
> Nothing less than Hugi for me anymore.
>
> JD

Yeah I've heard good things about Hugi. they ain't cheap though. But if
they don't break I'll be money ahead in the long run. Have you ever wrecked
a Hugi freehub?

Paul

pauly wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:00:24 -0700, JD wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>

> > pauly wrote:
> >> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2 years.
> >> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out of
> >> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty good
> >> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for a
> >> set of 440's.
> >>
> >> Pauly

> > I would nuke one of those pieces of garbage in less than six months.
> > Nothing less than Hugi for me anymore.
> >
> > JD
> >

> Yeah I've heard good things about Hugi. they ain't cheap though. But if
> they don't break I'll be money ahead in the long run. Have you ever wrecked
> a Hugi freehub?
>
> Paul

I've stripped three pawl sets. When that happens, one can still ride
out. With the shitmanos (as you know), you aren't riding anywhere when
one of those POSs dies. Replacing the pawls on a Hugi is super easy.

JD

I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year out
of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.

It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.

> pauly wrote:
>> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2
>> years.
>> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out
>> of
>> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty
>> good
>> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies for
>> set of 440's.
>>
>> Pauly

> I would nuke one of those pieces of garbage in less than six months.
> Nothing less than Hugi for me anymore.
>
> JD

"pauly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:26:53 -0700, Duncan wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>
> > "pauly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> They just can't hold up to this clyde. I've fragged 4 in less than 2

years.
> >> Another one today. Fortunately my LBS replaces them under warranty out

of
> >> their own stock so I don't have to much down time. I'm getting pretty

good
> >> at switching them out. I reckon I'll have to start saving my pennies

for a
> >> set of 440's.

> > Out of curiosity, how do you clean your cassette?Use any degreasers?

> water , brush and simple green. It's the free hub (ratcheting mechanism )
> that fails not the cassette. And no I don't spray water into the hub

body.

That might be the problem, getting any solvents anywhere near the freehub
can destroy them. I've done nearly two years of racing on my XT freehub and
it stilll works perfectly. I don't let solvents anywhere near it though.
For the cassette I do a quick brush with an old toothbrush, rag between the
cogs then maybe a rag over all the teeth. It may take a bit more time but
then I don't waste time cleaning any non moving parts.

Roberto Baggio wrote:
> I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year out
> of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.
>
> It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.

Thanks for proving once again that you are just another freeride idiot.

JD free pawls

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:12:37 -0700, Roberto Baggio wrote
(in article <9YmYg.140341$1T2.138948@pd7urf2no>):

> I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year out
> of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.
>
> It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.

I can't find one for less than $40.00 around the S.F. bay area (thats Frisco
for G.T.) It takes me closer to a 1/2 hr. but I clean and repack the hub
while I'm in there. But that doesn't include the time it takes for the hike
out and the trip to the lbs.

Pauly

pauly wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:12:37 -0700, Roberto Baggio wrote
> (in article <9YmYg.140341$1T2.138948@pd7urf2no>):
>
> > I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year out
> > of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.
> >
> > It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.
> >

> I can't find one for less than $40.00 around the S.F. bay area (thats Frisco
> for G.T.) It takes me closer to a 1/2 hr. but I clean and repack the hub
> while I'm in there. But that doesn't include the time it takes for the hike
> out and the trip to the lbs.
>
> Pauly

It's obvious that bags here is just another FR doofus neophyte. The
Hugi hubs take me about 20 minutes to switch out pawls and I've never
paid for a new set. Let him keep spending his claimed $30 over and
over, like all of the other morons who never learn that buying right
the first time alleviates a lot of bike downtime.

BTW, out of two hubs, one pawl set lasted five years and the other
three. Even if DT makes you pay for a pawl set, it's nominal compared
to $30 every few months.

JD free is good, shitmano is ****

"pauly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:12:37 -0700, Roberto Baggio wrote
> (in article <9YmYg.140341$1T2.138948@pd7urf2no>):
>
> > I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year

out
> > of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.
> >
> > It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.
> >

> I can't find one for less than $40.00 around the S.F. bay area (thats

Frisco
> for G.T.) It takes me closer to a 1/2 hr. but I clean and repack the hub
> while I'm in there. But that doesn't include the time it takes for the

hike
> out and the trip to the lbs.

Interesting. I've weighed 230 in the past, 215 now, and have never broken
an LX, XT, or XTR freehub since I started using them when they came out
however many moons ago that was. Only one short sidetrip to White
Industries during those decades.

Greg

Sorry if I insulted your bicycle maintenance competency.

> Roberto Baggio wrote:
>> I've had a couple go somewhat qickly, but I usually get at least a year
>> out
>> of one, and that includes a lot of riding in the rain.
>>
>> It's only $30 and 10 minutes to replace the freehub.

> Thanks for proving once again that you are just another freeride idiot.
>
> JD free pawls

Roberto Baggio top posted:
> Sorry if I insulted your bicycle maintenance competency.

You're only insulting yourself, pal. It's good entertainment, so keep
it up.

JD

If you insist.

But after I push my 230 lb frame though another of my tri-weekly 15 mile
rides through the local mountain using my 2 year old Shimano rear hub.

> Roberto Baggio top posted:
>> Sorry if I insulted your bicycle maintenance competency.

> You're only insulting yourself, pal. It's good entertainment, so keep
> it up.
>
> JD

Roberto Baggio top posted again:
> But after I push my 230 lb frame though another of my tri-weekly 15 mile
> rides through the local mountain using my 2 year old Shimano rear hub.

That sounds like a heavy bike. Are 230lb frames made of lead, or
uranium?

Ooooh, a whole 15 miles? One whole local mountain? The same ride over
and over? What a joke.

Keep buying those freehub bodies, someone's got to be a sucker.

JD

Weak sarcasm and poor attempts at demeaning comment only demonstrates your
insecurity.

Wash your blanket, Linus. It smells as bad as your posts.

Roberto Baggio wrote:
> Do not refute your observations?

Is there really any point?

> I suggest that if someone has an issue with their freehub, they can fix it
> for $30.

The O.P. said, in his post that he had replaced 4 in the last ~ 2
years. If anyone actually read the original post then they pretty much
understand that the freehub body can be replaced.

>You suggest they spend hundreds of dollars on a new hub and wheel
> build,

The O.P said that his plan was to save up for a set of 440's. So JD, as
you did with the freehub body replacementsuggestion, did no more than
reitterate what the O.P. said he was already going to do.

>and state that anything else is pretty much stupid,

That is pretty much pure JD.

<snip>

Seems like you two are just seeing who can **** higher on the wall.

Then again this is a.m.b. .... so ... As you were.

You want a real pos hub ... try the American Classic ....