XT is far crisper & efficient than LX

LIBERATOR

Guest
I got my XT deraileur due to RUSH coordinating it through their little
parasite Virginia Newbon, and although my bike isn't working right and
my chain is skipping on some gears, the deraileur is quite rapid in
changing gears compared to LX.

LX wasn't horrible but XT is amazing compared to it. I was told the
only difference between XT and XTR is weight.

Anyone know if this is true?

And why would my chain be skipping when it's a brand new chain and the
rear cog set is still good, a bike store verified it for me. Not all
gears skip, it's the smallest two gears (for going at high speeds) that
the chain skips. It really really bothers me. I did not get a new
cassette when I got the chain and deraileur. But the teeth aren't that
bad. I'm lost.

Stay that way. Tom
LIBERATOR wrote:
> I got my XT deraileur due to RUSH coordinating it through their little
> parasite Virginia Newbon, and although my bike isn't working right and
> my chain is skipping on some gears, the deraileur is quite rapid in
> changing gears compared to LX.
>
> LX wasn't horrible but XT is amazing compared to it. I was told the
> only difference between XT and XTR is weight.
>
> Anyone know if this is true?
>
> And why would my chain be skipping when it's a brand new chain and the
> rear cog set is still good, a bike store verified it for me. Not all
> gears skip, it's the smallest two gears (for going at high speeds) that
> the chain skips. It really really bothers me. I did not get a new
> cassette when I got the chain and deraileur. But the teeth aren't that
> bad. I'm lost.

I know that it's not only the derailleur that can cause problems with
shifting but if I were you I'd check/replace the cables and their casing.
And dont economize on it - buy the best there are on the martket.

"LIBERATOR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I got my XT deraileur due to RUSH coordinating it through their little
> parasite Virginia Newbon, and although my bike isn't working right and
> my chain is skipping on some gears, the deraileur is quite rapid in
> changing gears compared to LX.
>
> LX wasn't horrible but XT is amazing compared to it. I was told the
> only difference between XT and XTR is weight.
>
> Anyone know if this is true?
>
> And why would my chain be skipping when it's a brand new chain and the
> rear cog set is still good, a bike store verified it for me. Not all
> gears skip, it's the smallest two gears (for going at high speeds) that
> the chain skips. It really really bothers me. I did not get a new
> cassette when I got the chain and deraileur. But the teeth aren't that
> bad. I'm lost.

It's those damn witches, happens all the time

If you've been using the same chain and rear cassette for a long time
the rear cassette will often wear with the chain and if you replace one
you'll have to replace the other.

One way round this is to buy a fairly inexpensive chain and change it on
a regular basis (every six months or so depending on how much riding you
do).

LIBERATOR wrote:
> I got my XT deraileur due to RUSH coordinating it through their little
> parasite Virginia Newbon, and although my bike isn't working right and
> my chain is skipping on some gears, the deraileur is quite rapid in
> changing gears compared to LX.
>
> LX wasn't horrible but XT is amazing compared to it. I was told the
> only difference between XT and XTR is weight.
>
> Anyone know if this is true?
>
> And why would my chain be skipping when it's a brand new chain and the
> rear cog set is still good, a bike store verified it for me. Not all
> gears skip, it's the smallest two gears (for going at high speeds) that
> the chain skips. It really really bothers me. I did not get a new
> cassette when I got the chain and deraileur. But the teeth aren't that
> bad. I'm lost.

Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:18:33 GMT, na alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, Dizbin
wystuka³(a):

> If you've been using the same chain and rear cassette for a long time
> the rear cassette will often wear with the chain and if you replace one
> you'll have to replace the other.
>
> One way round this is to buy a fairly inexpensive chain and change it on
> a regular basis (every six months or so depending on how much riding you
> do).

What I do is ride on 1 cassette and 3 chains but all of them the same
hardness. I change them every 400-600 km and always pick the shortest one
to be next. It works perfectly.

"RowerRanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mon, 2 Oct 2006 06:12:25 -0500, at alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, di
> wrote:
>

>> It's those damn witches, happens all the time

> man, you gotta take those medications and not throw them down the toilet!

That "swoosh" you heard was the subject matter going right over your head.

Sounds good - will give this a go. Especially as I found this out the
hard way with an XT/XTR groupset :0(

RowerRanger wrote:
> Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:18:33 GMT, na alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, Dizbin
> wystuka³(a):
>
>> If you've been using the same chain and rear cassette for a long time
>> the rear cassette will often wear with the chain and if you replace one
>> you'll have to replace the other.
>>
>> One way round this is to buy a fairly inexpensive chain and change it on
>> a regular basis (every six months or so depending on how much riding you
>> do).

> What I do is ride on 1 cassette and 3 chains but all of them the same
> hardness. I change them every 400-600 km and always pick the shortest one
> to be next. It works perfectly.

did ya guys catch "hanging with Neil Peart" ?

was a good one..

Dizbin wrote:
> If you've been using the same chain and rear cassette for a long time
> the rear cassette will often wear with the chain and if you replace one
> you'll have to replace the other.

I knew this and the chain is brand new, it's the medium level of SRAM.
What proves the theory wrong that all bike stores have said and you're
also saying about if you replace one you have to replace the other, is
that I have made adjustments to the deraileur and on gears it was first
skipping on it now doesn't, yet now it's skipping on others. The
cassette isn't that old, it's under a year old, and the bike store
looked at it and said it's good. So it looks to be a matter of the
perfect adjustment.

> One way round this is to buy a fairly inexpensive chain and change it on
> a regular basis (every six months or so depending on how much riding you
> do).

What do you consider inexpensive? This chain I got is $30.00. That to
me is medium expensive.

Matt Ferrari wrote:
> did ya guys catch "hanging with Neil Peart" ?
>
> was a good one..

Neil is a frequent biker, thus this is on topic for AMR, so STFU and go
play puppet for Virginia.

LIBERATOR wrote:

12.147.81.2 = [ ]

OrgName: AT&T WorldNet Services
OrgID: ATTW
Address: 200 S. Laurel AVE.
City: MIDDLETOWN
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 07748
Country: US
NetRange: 12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255
CIDR: 12.0.0.0/8
NetName: ATT
NetHandle: NET-12-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: DBRU.BR.NS.ELS-GMS.ATT.NET
NameServer: DMTU.MT.NS.ELS-GMS.ATT.NET
NameServer: CBRU.BR.NS.ELS-GMS.ATT.NET
NameServer: CMTU.MT.NS.ELS-GMS.ATT.NET
Comment: For abuse issues contact [email protected]

RegDate: 1983-08-23
Updated: 2002-08-23
RTechHandle: DK71-ARIN
RTechName: Kostick Deirdre
RTechPhone: 1-919-319-8249
RTechEmail: [email protected]

OrgAbuseHandle: ATTAB-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: ATT Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: 1-919-319-8130
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: ICC-ARIN
OrgTechName: IP Customer Care
OrgTechPhone: 1-888-613-6330
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: IPSWI-ARIN
OrgTechName: IP SWIP
OrgTechPhone: 1-888-613-6330
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

OrgName: FAIRFIELD INN GOLDEN LAKEWOOD
OrgID: FIGL-2
Address: 11907 W 6TH AVE
City: GOLDEN
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80401
Country: US
NetRange: 12.147.81.0 - 12.147.81.63
CIDR: 12.147.81.0/26
NetName: FAIRFIEL54-81-0
NetHandle: NET-12-147-81-0-1
Parent: NET-12-0-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-11-17
Updated: 2003-11-17
OrgTechHandle: JGJ6-ARIN
OrgTechName: Gjerdevig John
OrgTechPhone: 1-866-231-7846
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:15:48 -0500, at alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, di
wrote:

> "RowerRanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mon, 2 Oct 2006 06:12:25 -0500, at alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, di
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It's those damn witches, happens all the time

>> man, you gotta take those medications and not throw them down the toilet!

> That "swoosh" you heard was the subject matter going right over your head.

no. if you call it like that it means you dont know the first thing about
MTB

Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:28:19 GMT, at alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, Dizbin
wrote:

> Sounds good - will give this a go. Especially as I found this out the
> hard way with an XT/XTR groupset :0(

I'm using XT now

"RowerRanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:15:48 -0500, at alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, di
> wrote:
>
>> "RowerRanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> man, you gotta take those medications and not throw them down the
>>> toilet!

>> That "swoosh" you heard was the subject matter going right over your
>> head.

> no. if you call it like that it means you dont know the first thing about
> MTB

I give up, there's not much hope for you.

RowerRanger wrote:
> Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:18:33 GMT, na alt.mountain-bike,alt.music.rush, Dizbin
> wystuka³(a):
>
> > If you've been using the same chain and rear cassette for a long time
> > the rear cassette will often wear with the chain and if you replace one
> > you'll have to replace the other.
> >
> > One way round this is to buy a fairly inexpensive chain and change it on
> > a regular basis (every six months or so depending on how much riding you
> > do).

> What I do is ride on 1 cassette and 3 chains but all of them the same
> hardness. I change them every 400-600 km and always pick the shortest one
> to be next. It works perfectly.

Same hardness? Shortest one to be next? I don't understand those two
explanations.

LIBERATOR wrote:
>I don't understand those two
> explanations.

Bouncey bouncey zahner, did you have a nice talk with the cops last
night at the Fairfield Inn?

216.48.33.66 = [ ]

OrgName: USLEC Corp.
OrgID: USLC
Address: 6801 Morrison Blvd
City: Charlotte
StateProv: NC
PostalCode: 28211
Country: US
NetRange: 216.48.0.0 - 216.48.63.255
CIDR: 216.48.0.0/18
NetName: TXFER-INT-USLEC-BLK-3
NetHandle: NET-216-48-0-0-1
Parent: NET-216-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: DNS3.USLEC.NET
NameServer: DNS4.USLEC.NET
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 1998-08-21
Updated: 2003-01-02
OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE34-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: 1-704-319-1248
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgNOCHandle: NOC136-ARIN
OrgNOCName: Network Operations Center
OrgNOCPhone: 1-800-978-7532
OrgNOCEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: RUSSE-ARIN
OrgTechName: Russell Fred
OrgTechPhone: 1-704-319-1333
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

What about this Hampton Inn?

When do you get to meet Stephanie Virginia? Aren't you interested in
meeting the one that controls you?

Or wait, you're trying to pretend you're a man, I gotcha, I gotcha.

Strong/Chos control exactly what you do, when you do it, and you deny
this entirely. That's what's amazing.

transporter wrote:
> LIBERATOR wrote:
> >I don't understand those two
> > explanations.

> Bouncey bouncey zahner, did you have a nice talk with the cops last
> night at the Fairfield Inn?
>
> 216.48.33.66 = [ ]
>
> OrgName: USLEC Corp.
> OrgID: USLC
> Address: 6801 Morrison Blvd
> City: Charlotte
> StateProv: NC
> PostalCode: 28211
> Country: US
> NetRange: 216.48.0.0 - 216.48.63.255
> CIDR: 216.48.0.0/18
> NetName: TXFER-INT-USLEC-BLK-3
> NetHandle: NET-216-48-0-0-1
> Parent: NET-216-0-0-0-0
> NetType: Direct Allocation
> NameServer: DNS3.USLEC.NET
> NameServer: DNS4.USLEC.NET
> Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
> RegDate: 1998-08-21
> Updated: 2003-01-02
> OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE34-ARIN
> OrgAbuseName: Abuse
> OrgAbusePhone: 1-704-319-1248
> OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]
>
> OrgNOCHandle: NOC136-ARIN
> OrgNOCName: Network Operations Center
> OrgNOCPhone: 1-800-978-7532
> OrgNOCEmail: [email protected]
>
> OrgTechHandle: RUSSE-ARIN
> OrgTechName: Russell Fred
> OrgTechPhone: 1-704-319-1333
> OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

> BTW, I do know a few things about MTB's, I've built several from the frame
> up including the wheels.

ok sorry. i was too quick in judging you.