XT rear derailleur

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Constant, May 12, 2003.

  1. Constant

    Constant Guest

    Hi

    I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.

    Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?

    Thanx, Constant J. NL

    Tags:

  2. Constant wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    > XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    >
    > Thanx, Constant J. NL

    in general go with the long one, it you have a very narrow gear range, or are content to loose a few
    gears on the small ring, the short cage is good, it is a little less susceptible to damage.

  3. "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Constant wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    > > XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    > >
    > > Thanx, Constant J. NL
    > >
    > in general go with the long one, it you have a very narrow gear range, or are content to loose a
    > few gears on the small ring, the short cage is good, it is a little less susceptible to damage.

    To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Connell is correct, but let me add. I think the long cage is the
    "normal" one. On my first ever trip to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival 5 years ago, I had my never been
    ridden, brand new Ellsworth Truth, with long cage XT rear. We arrived Thursday and rode Eagles Nest,
    the first 8-10 miles on my new bike. The next day, after much rain, we started out on Mary's loop.
    Within 1 mile of the start, on a short but fast fire road decent, I tore the derailleur off the
    bike, broke the hanger and 2 spokes. That mud in Fruita can be brutal. The derailleur was shot, no
    other hangers for an Ellsworth in sight. When I replaced the rear derailleur I was nervous about the
    problem and got a short cage. It has not been a problem since and I have a 34 tooth pie plate in the
    back (though I almost never use it anymore :) Perhaps I am missing out on better shifting which
    would be available on a long cage, but my shifting is fine by me.

    I don't know if all that means anything, but it is my story.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  4. On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:03:29 +0200, Constant
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    >XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    >
    >Thanx, Constant J. NL

    No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.

    Bob

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:03:29 +0200, Constant
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    > >XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    > >
    > >Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    > >
    > >Thanx, Constant J. NL
    >
    > No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.
    >
    > Bob

    unless he has 9-speed cogs...

    the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he should
    upgrade to 9-speed.
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    | > On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:03:29 +0200, Constant <[email protected]>
    | > wrote:
    | >
    | > >Hi
    | > >
    | > >I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    | > >XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    | > >
    | > >Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    | > >
    | > >Thanx, Constant J. NL
    | >
    | > No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.
    | >
    | > Bob
    | >

    | unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    |
    | the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he
    | should upgrade to 9-speed.

    That is true, according to Shimano, however, I have a **7** speed XT derailleur shifting a 9 speed
    system perfectly.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/12/2003

  7. Chris Snell

    Chris Snell Guest

    > > On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:03:29 +0200, Constant <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi
    > > >
    > > >I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    > > >XT-9s rear derailleur: one
    with a
    > > >shorter and one with a longer cage.
    > > >
    > > >Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter
    one
    > > >the 'normal one?
    > > >
    > > >Thanx, Constant J. NL
    > >
    > > No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work
    fine.

    > > Bob
    > >

    > unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    >
    > the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is
    better,
    > not weather or not he should upgrade to 9-speed.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    The point was that to upgrade to 9-speed he doesn't have to change his 8 speed rear derailleur at
    all. Possible downside: there may be some rub with 8-speed derailleur and 34 tooth cog.

    But an 8 speed derailleur /will/ work with 9 speed cog-set.

    - Chris.

  8. On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:34:33 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >> On Mon, 12 May 2003 23:03:29 +0200, Constant
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    >> >XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    >> >
    >> >Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    >> >
    >> >Thanx, Constant J. NL
    >>
    >> No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    >unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    >
    >the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he
    >should upgrade to 9-speed.
    Actually my point was an 8 speed derailer will work fine with 9 speed cogs. As Sheldon often points
    out, there really is no such thing as a
    7/8/9 speed derailer.

    Bob

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > | > No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.
    > | >
    > | > Bob
    > | >

    > | unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    > |
    > | the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he
    > | should upgrade to 9-speed.
    >
    > That is true, according to Shimano, however, I have a **7** speed XT derailleur shifting a 9 speed
    > system perfectly.

    Interesting, so is the opposite true? will a 7-speed derailer shift a 9 speed system?

    I only ask because should i wish to upgrade to 9-speed, it would be a lot cheaper to only have to
    swap out the front shifter and rear wheel (and cogset of course).
    --
    ~Travis

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <MPG.192a12a93f3ca5eb[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > | unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    > > |
    > > | the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he
    > > | should upgrade to 9-speed.
    > >
    > > That is true, according to Shimano, however, I have a **7** speed XT derailleur shifting a 9
    > > speed system perfectly.
    > >

    > Interesting, so is the opposite true? will a 7-speed derailer shift a 9 speed system?
    >
    > I only ask because should i wish to upgrade to 9-speed, it would be a lot cheaper to only have to
    > swap out the front shifter and rear wheel (and cogset of course).

    Ok, so this is a true brain fart. could it get any more redundant.
    --
    ~Travis

  11. Chris Snell wrote:

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > with a

    > one

    >>>No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work
    >
    > fine.
    >
    >>>Bob
    >>>

    >>unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    >>
    >>the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is
    >
    > better,
    >
    >>not weather or not he should upgrade to 9-speed.
    >>--
    >>~Travis
    >>
    >>travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >

    > The point was that to upgrade to 9-speed he doesn't have to change his 8 speed rear derailleur at
    > all. Possible downside: there may be some rub with 8-speed derailleur and 34 tooth cog.
    >
    > But an 8 speed derailleur /will/ work with 9 speed cog-set.
    >
    > - Chris.

    exactly an 8 won't like 34 teeth much.

  12. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Chris Snell wrote:
    |
    | > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    | > with a

    | > one

    | > fine.

    | >>unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    | >>
    | >>the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is
    | >
    | > better,
    | >
    | >>not weather or not he should upgrade to 9-speed.
    | >>--
    | >>~Travis
    | >>
    | >>travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    | >

    | > The point was that to upgrade to 9-speed he doesn't have to change his 8 speed rear derailleur
    | > at all. Possible downside: there may be some rub with 8-speed derailleur and 34 tooth cog.
    | >
    | > But an 8 speed derailleur /will/ work with 9 speed cog-set.
    | >
    | > - Chris.
    | >
    | exactly an 8 won't like 34 teeth much.

    The 8 speed XT derailleur IMHO marked a low point in the quality of that line. I don't see too many
    of them around any more, while you can still find many 7s era units.

    The 8s had weaker springs and a shorter pivot bolt. Various sources claim this was to combat SRAM
    (making their shifters perform terribly with the Shimano derailleurs - prompting the development of
    ESP and giving SRAM a better toehold)

    The 9s went back to the strong springs and burlier construction. I absolutely love 'em (though If I
    had my druthers, I'd take the old 7s if it's in good shape.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/12/2003

  13. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Robert Quindazzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:34:33 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
    |
    | >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    | >> No need to change the rear derailer. your 8 speed one will work fine.
    | >>
    | >> Bob
    | >>

    | >unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    | >
    | >the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is better, not weather or not he
    | >should upgrade to 9-speed.
    | Actually my point was an 8 speed derailer will work fine with 9 speed cogs. As Sheldon often
    | points out, there really is no such thing as a
    | 7/8/9 speed derailer.

    Yes. Almost all indexing capable Shimano derailleurs move through the same arc. The difference is
    in the shifter itself by how much the cable actually moves per click. 7s and 8s were very close,
    letting you get away with some funny business like using 7s XT thumbshifters to shift 8s because
    it had a "ghost click" in it. 9s has a drastically (relatively speaking) smaller spacing, so all
    bets are off as far as shifter compatibility, but like I said the most important difference is in
    the shifter.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/12/2003

  14. Nelson Binch wrote:
    > "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | Chris Snell wrote:
    > |
    > | > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | > news:[email protected]...

    > | > with a

    > | > one

    > | > fine.

    > | > better,

    > | > The point was that to upgrade to 9-speed he doesn't have to change his 8 speed rear derailleur
    > | > at all. Possible downside: there may be some rub with 8-speed derailleur and 34 tooth cog.
    > | >
    > | > But an 8 speed derailleur /will/ work with 9 speed cog-set.
    > | >
    > | > - Chris.
    > | >
    > | exactly an 8 won't like 34 teeth much.
    > |

    > The 8 speed XT derailleur IMHO marked a low point in the quality of that line. I don't see too
    > many of them around any more, while you can still find many 7s era units.
    >
    > The 8s had weaker springs and a shorter pivot bolt. Various sources claim this was to combat SRAM
    > (making their shifters perform terribly with the Shimano derailleurs - prompting the development
    > of ESP and giving SRAM a better toehold)
    >
    > The 9s went back to the strong springs and burlier construction. I absolutely love 'em (though If
    > I had my druthers, I'd take the old 7s if it's in good shape.)
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 5/12/2003

    like the 7sp myself. it took 3 years of solid mud to kill one. i've heard that about the 8, seems
    likely shitmano was loseing a lot of ground to sram in shifters particularly in the low to mid range
    stuff. thing about the 7sp stuff - it was pre XTR. when XTR came out the quality of XT dropped
    dramaticly

  15. > exactly an 8 won't like 34 teeth much.

    I use the 28-tooth mouth I have. Works fine for any derailleur.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  16. > > Interesting, so is the opposite true? will a 7-speed derailer shift a 9 speed system?

    THEY ALL PULL THE SAME AMOUNT OF CABLE!!! BAAAAAAAAAA!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Constant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than one
    > XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    >
    > Thanx, Constant J. NL

    You're talking about chain wrap capacity. To determine long or short cage you take the difference
    (subtract) the size of the big and small rings up front and big and small cogs in back and add the
    two numbers together. This will get you the capacity number. Look this up on the specs for the
    derailleur you are looking at. http://www.shimano-europe.com If the derailleur number is smaller
    then it won't work. Pretty much with triple chainring setups a longer cage is required. The other
    number to consider is max cog size to see if the derailleur will climb up on the largest cog of your
    chosen cassette size.

    Mike

  18. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > | unless he has 9-speed cogs...
    > > |
    > > | the point was he was wondering if the longer or shorter cage is
    better,
    > > | not weather or not he should upgrade to 9-speed.
    > >
    > > That is true, according to Shimano, however, I have a **7** speed XT derailleur shifting a 9
    > > speed system perfectly.
    > >

    > Interesting, so is the opposite true? will a 7-speed derailer shift a 9 speed system?
    >
    > I only ask because should i wish to upgrade to 9-speed, it would be a lot cheaper to only have to
    > swap out the front shifter and rear wheel (and cogset of course).
    > --
    > ~Travis

    Indexing is done at the shifter not the derailleur. So as long as the specs on the derailleur like
    max cog size and chain wrap capacity match it will work fine 7,8 or 9 speed.

    Mike

  19. Actually the short cage shifts faster, but you lose out in chain and gear capacity. Some old-school
    racers would run a shimano 105 rear derailuer in place of an XT if they had a tight cluster to save
    weight and have snappier shifts. "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]...

    > "James Connell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Constant wrote:
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I'm thinking about changing my 8speed XT-LX 'gears' to 9-XT. I've heart there are more than
    > > > one XT-9s rear derailleur: one with a shorter and one with a longer cage.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone tell me when to mount the long version? Is the shorter one the 'normal one?
    > > >
    > > > Thanx, Constant J. NL
    > > >
    > > in general go with the long one, it you have a very narrow gear range, or are content to loose a
    > > few gears on the small ring, the short cage is good, it is a little less susceptible to damage.
    > >

    > To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Connell is correct, but let me add. I
    think
    > the long cage is the "normal" one. On my first ever trip to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival 5 years
    > ago, I had my never been ridden, brand new Ellsworth Truth, with long cage XT rear. We arrived
    > Thursday and rode Eagles Nest, the first 8-10 miles on my new bike. The next day, after much rain,
    > we started out on Mary's loop. Within
    1
    > mile of the start, on a short but fast fire road decent, I tore the derailleur off the bike, broke
    > the hanger and 2 spokes. That mud in Fruita can be brutal. The derailleur was shot, no other
    > hangers for an Ellsworth in sight. When
    > replaced the rear derailleur I was nervous about the problem and got a
    short
    > cage. It has not been a problem since and I have a 34 tooth pie plate in
    the
    > back (though I almost never use it anymore :) Perhaps I am missing out on better shifting which
    > would be available on a long cage, but my shifting
    is
    > fine by me.
    >
    > I don't know if all that means anything, but it is my story.
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    <<<<<< ]] gun_dog99 [[ >>>>>> wrote:
    > Actually the short cage shifts faster, but you lose out in chain and gear capacity. Some
    > old-school racers would run a shimano 105 rear derailuer in place of an XT if they had a tight
    > cluster to save weight and have snappier shifts.

    I used to run a 105 about 10 years ago without too many problems and my brother's currently running
    a Dura-Ace on one of his DH bikes.