XT Rear derailleur

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Peter Signorini, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. After a particular claggy ride on clay tracks yesterday I pulled the bike down for a thorough clean.
    Now about to fit the chain, but the rear der (XT) has a seized bottom jockey wheel. Pulled it out,
    wipe clean and a bit of lube, even though it does say 'sealed bearing'. It's turning freely and I've
    refitted it only to find it is still seized once tightened into the jockey cage.

    WTF gives? If I loosen the mounting pin a turn it's free to spin, but then surely the pin is at risk
    of dropping out on the trail.

    Is it OK to ride with the jockey pin a little loose? Do I need to get a new jockey wheel (if
    available)? Or is there some trick to this that I don't know of? Probably likely. For the price of a
    new XT rear mech I'd expect it to last longer than the 3 years of infrequent off-road riding it's
    seen. Would love to hear any ideas, TIA.

    Cheers Peter

    Tags:

  2. Tony F

    Tony F Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:58:30 +1000, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After a particular claggy ride on clay tracks yesterday I pulled the bike down for a thorough
    >clean. Now about to fit the chain, but the rear der (XT) has a seized bottom jockey wheel. Pulled
    >it out, wipe clean and a bit of lube, even though it does say 'sealed bearing'. It's turning freely
    >and I've refitted it only to find it is still seized once tightened into the jockey cage.
    >
    >WTF gives? If I loosen the mounting pin a turn it's free to spin, but then surely the pin is at
    >risk of dropping out on the trail.
    >
    >Is it OK to ride with the jockey pin a little loose?

    Based on my experience, it will then disappear when you're out in the middle of nowhere, or in the
    middle of the night. This is not fun... ;^)

    >Do I need to get a new jockey wheel (if available)? Or is there some trick to this that I don't
    >know of? Probably likely.

    Loctite?

    Not much help really, just wanted to warn against riding with it loose.

    Tony F http://www.thefathippy.com

  3. "tony f" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:58:30 +1000, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Is it OK to ride with the jockey pin a little loose?
    >
    > Based on my experience, it will then disappear when you're out in the middle of nowhere, or in the
    > middle of the night. This is not fun... ;^)

    Yes, I'd pretty much realised this would be the major risk. Hello single speed!

    > Loctite?
    >
    > Not much help really, just wanted to warn against riding with it loose.

    Problem solved! After another inspection I fitted the chain, then decided to tighten the jockey
    wheel pin to see how stiff the wheel would be. Tried to backpedal and the chain hung up, then there
    was a clunk and the jockey wheel was spinning free. A lump of dirt had fallen at my feet! Seems
    there was some gunge caught up that I'd missed and it was jamming the jockey wheel. Doh!

    Thanks though Tony. I'll make a note to get some loctite for these sorts of situations.

    Cheers Peter

  4. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Peter Signorini:

    > After a particular claggy ride on clay tracks yesterday I pulled the bike down for a thorough
    > clean. Now about to fit the chain, but the rear der (XT) has a seized bottom jockey wheel. Pulled
    > it out, wipe clean and a bit of lube, even though it does say 'sealed bearing'. It's turning
    > freely and I've refitted it only to find it is still seized once tightened into the jockey cage.
    >
    > WTF gives? If I loosen the mounting pin a turn it's free to spin, but then surely the pin is at
    > risk of dropping out on the trail.

    Although it says "sealed", the seals on these aren't airtight nor watertight, and it's quite
    possible to introduce gunk in the bearings. This is a likely scenario as a little pressure on the
    bearing covers upon mounting on the derailleur can compress the gunk in the bearings, preventing
    free movement.

    > Is it OK to ride with the jockey pin a little loose? Do I need to get a new jockey wheel (if
    > available)? Or is there some trick to this that I don't know of? Probably likely. For the price of
    > a new XT rear mech I'd expect it to last longer than the 3 years of infrequent off-road riding
    > it's seen. Would love to hear any ideas, TIA.

    Unfortunately it's not solely the length of time in service that determines bearing durability, but
    the operating conditions as well. One instance of heavy soilage can ruin bearings upon first use. I
    would replace the jockey wheel rather than lose the loosened pin and walk home on your next ride.
    Jockey wheels are relatively cheap, even sealed ones (BBB rubber sealed jockey wheels cost about
    $14; check Cecil Walker or Phantomcycles).

  5. Midex

    Midex Guest

    Can anyone tell the diff b/w an XT and a deore rear derailleur? Other than the price I cant tell a
    diff. Perhaps even my XT is inferior to my old deore.

  6. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Midex:

    > Can anyone tell the diff b/w an XT and a deore rear derailleur? Other than the price I cant tell a
    > diff. Perhaps even my XT is inferior to my old deore.

    The XT has ceramic bushed and sealed bearing jockey wheels, while Deore has steel bushed wjheels.