XT Thumb shifters, Query.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Wilson, May 17, 2003.

  1. Andy Wilson

    Andy Wilson Guest

    Ive just fitted a pair of NOS xt thumb shifters, which i managed to source on ebay usa, (couldnt
    find any for years on ebay UK at a decent price). These are to replace my old faithful DX versions
    from 1991.Although they work well and look nice,they seem much the same as my old DX ones. my
    question is, apart from the price and different colour top cap, what was the difference between the
    two versions.Is it to do with the workings inside, or are the metals used better quality on the XT
    versions??

    Thanks in advance for any replies, its just a query i was wondering about and thought one of the
    regulars here might know the answer to!!!

    Thanks Andy...

    Tags:

  2. Chris B .

    Chris B . Guest

    On 17 May 2003 06:50:46 -0700, [email protected] (Andy wilson) wrote:

    >Ive just fitted a pair of NOS xt thumb shifters, which i managed to source on ebay usa, (couldnt
    >find any for years on ebay UK at a decent price). These are to replace my old faithful DX versions
    >from 1991.Although they work well and look nice,they seem much the same as my old DX ones. my
    >question is, apart from the price and different colour top cap, what was the difference between the
    >two versions.Is it to do with the workings inside, or are the metals used better quality on the XT
    >versions??

    I haven't needed to take either one apart so have no idea about whether the inner workings are any
    different. The most obvious outward difference is the mounts.. The DX ones are thin steel, and in my
    experience they seem to flex and allow slop to develop quite a bit sooner than the thicker, cast
    mounts of the XT's. The XT's also use allen (hex) head bolts, rather than a phillips head bolt (and
    chintzy seperate nut in the case of the handlebar mount).

    I'm sure the XT's will last at least as long as your old ones did.

    Chris Bird