XT upgrade

Karhon Chung

Guest
Hi all,

I have had my Gary Fisher Big Sur for about a month now and I was thinking of upgrading all the
components to XT gradually. Does anyone know off any websites or advise in doing this, as things
like changing the bottom bracket and cranckset, front mechs seems quite complicated to me.

Thanks in advance.

"karhon chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hi all,
|
| I have had my Gary Fisher Big Sur for about a month now and I was
thinking
| of upgrading all the components to XT gradually. Does anyone know off any websites or advise in
| doing this, as things like changing the bottom bracket and cranckset, front mechs seems quite
| complicated to me.
|
| Thanks in advance.

If it is a current model Big Sur (or the last couple years) then the upgrade is pretty
straightforward. Your best option is to determine what part of the shifting system isn't performing
as good as you think it should. I looked at the current bike on their website and the one part I
think may benefit most is changing the crank itself. IMHO, Bontrager cranks suck, so changing out
the crank and BB to the XT would be great. If you're not familiar with the work, have your LBS do it
for you, or if you don't have access to an LBS, then let us know, we can walk you through it.

The Front Derailleur is the LAST part I'd worry about. Mechanically, there is little difference
between the Deore and the XT.

After the crank, I'd look at the shifters. XT shifters are just more 'crisp' feeling than LX (IMHO)

With the brakes, wild creatures couldn't make me put on XT. (ignore this if you have the Big Sur
Disc) XT V-brakes HOWL LIKE FREAKING BANSHEES (just ask Carla) The Shimano 420s are OK (Alivio
level) so upgrade to AVID if you want to change there. I've found the "Simple" design V-brakes
without parallel push mechs work best.

That pretty much leaves the cassette, which I wouldn't worry about until the original wears out.
(That applies to the whole bike actually, unless the originals are problematic.)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

"karhon chung" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have had my Gary Fisher Big Sur for about a month now and I was
thinking
> of upgrading all the components to XT gradually. Does anyone know off any websites or advise in
> doing this, as things like changing the bottom bracket and cranckset, front mechs seems quite
> complicated to me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

"karhon chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have had my Gary Fisher Big Sur for about a month now and I was
thinking
> of upgrading all the components to XT gradually. Does anyone know off any websites or advise in
> doing this, as things like changing the bottom bracket and cranckset, front mechs seems quite
> complicated to me.
>
> Thanks in advance.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml the right tools for the job and how to use 'em.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com just look at his picture, how can you not trust him?!

http://www.shimano-europe.com for tech info on their products

"Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" book by Lennard Zinn

Mike

Don't upgrade anything until you absolutely have to. It's really not worth

me. When something goes bad, have a mechanic look at it and if it needs to be replaced...only
then...upgrade to XT. That is just my 2 cents....good luck

Edwards