XTerra has come and gone...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really said about the race was how
    much damage it caused.

    Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler rental (oh great) but will
    _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.

    Here's a 4mb video of the newscast... http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv

    Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really said about the race was how
    > much damage it caused.
    >
    > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler rental (oh great) but will
    > _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.
    >
    > Here's a 4mb video of the newscast... http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv
    >
    > Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/

    What jackasses! Don't the land managers require a deposit from these idiots?
    --
    Slacker

  3. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really
    said
    > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    >
    > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    rental
    > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.

    So before the damage is repaired, they will wreck them a little more first? They are laying gravel
    down? This is probably so that the trails do not get wrecked by high traffic, but a gravel path is
    just not the same.

    -Dave

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really
    said
    > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    >
    > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    rental
    > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.
    >
    > Here's a 4mb video of the newscast... http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv
    >
    > Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/

    Saw that too this morning. The rider in the Evil Bike T-shirt is my friend Mike. I would've been
    there too but got called into work. Some of the damage they showed was from the soft spot caused by
    the sewage spill cleanup. Don't get too bent, the muck in the trail where Ralph was talking about
    will dry up this week (no rain and temps in the 90's forcast) and get packed down again. You won't
    even know it was there. I'll call Ralph and see when the cleanup is going to be.

    Mike - I'll be there shoveling with y'all!

  5. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really
    said
    > > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    > >
    > > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    rental
    > > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.
    > >
    > > Here's a 4mb video of the newscast... http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv
    > >
    > > Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/
    >

    > What jackasses! Don't the land managers require a deposit from these
    idiots?

    No, but it's a great idea. What price do you put on a trail? Seems to me they should be responsible
    to restore the trail exactly to it's pre-race condition. I'll bet that would change their
    "impossible to postpone" policy... ;)

    On a lighter note, (I'm not making this up) as I was digitizing that video I ate a fortune cookie
    leftover from dinner. Here's a scan of the fortune inside...
    http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/ironic%20fortune.jpg

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really
    > said
    > > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    > >
    > > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    > rental
    > > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.
    >
    > So before the damage is repaired, they will wreck them a little more
    first?
    > They are laying gravel down? This is probably so that the trails do not
    get
    > wrecked by high traffic, but a gravel path is just not the same.
    >
    > -Dave

    If it is the same gravel they've been using, dark grey crush and run, it blends into the trail very
    well and gets covered by dirt. It does a fine job of hardening up the trail and is fairly invisible
    in a few weeks of riding.

    Mike

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations
    really
    > said
    > > > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    > > >
    > > > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    > rental
    > > > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual
    work.

    > > > Here's a 4mb video of the newscast...
    > > > http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv
    > > >
    > > > Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/
    > >

    > > What jackasses! Don't the land managers require a deposit from these
    > idiots?
    >
    > No, but it's a great idea. What price do you put on a trail? Seems to me they should be
    > responsible to restore the trail exactly to it's pre-race condition. I'll bet that would change
    > their "impossible to postpone" policy... ;)
    >
    > On a lighter note, (I'm not making this up) as I was digitizing that video
    > ate a fortune cookie leftover from dinner. Here's a scan of the fortune inside...
    > http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/ironic%20fortune.jpg

    Gotta dig them synchronicities ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just watched the late news. The only thing the local stations really
    said
    > about the race was how much damage it caused.
    >
    > Xterra donated a couple thousand dollars for gravel and four wheeler
    rental
    > (oh great) but will _depend on local volunteers_ to do the actual work.
    >
    > Here's a 4mb video of the newscast... http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/videos/xterradamage.wmv
    >
    > Looks like I'll be taking out my frustrations on a shovel... >:/

    John, Check your emails. I forwarded a response I received from the head of the Richmond Sports
    Backers (who are responsible for bringing events like XTerra to Richmond). They definitely want to
    help work to restore the trails.

    Mike

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    The weather here after a wetter than normal spring in santa fe is beautiful! Moving out here to the
    Rocky Mountains was the best decision my wife and I ever made. Santa Fe is more like a colorado
    mountain town than the desert people always envision, although we do have a dry semi-arid climate,
    it's relatively cool here and has 4 seasons.

    Anyhow, I'll try to attach the days weather forecast: