XTR '97 ST-M910

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tpi, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Tpi

    Tpi Guest

    Hallo, I got an offer to buy new Shimano ST-M910 shift/brake levers. Is it possible to use them with
    v-brakes? I heard that they are designed for canti&v-brakes but all the info I foud in the net tells
    about canti only? Help, please. I can get them for $50 - not bad for XTR. Regards,Marek

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "tpi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hallo, I got an offer to buy new Shimano ST-M910 shift/brake levers. Is it possible to use them
    > with v-brakes? I heard that they are designed for canti&v-brakes but all the info I foud
    in
    > the net tells about canti only? Help, please. I can get them for $50 - not bad for XTR.
    > Regards,Marek

    They can be used with V-brakes, but unless you've had a lot of practice braking gently, I wouldn't
    recommend it. I had a pair of XT canti shifter/brake levers that I rode successfully for several
    months with V-brakes, but the levers were really "mushy," and definitely required a very soft touch
    when braking. Squeeze too hard, and very bad things happened very quickly! Before I sent the bike
    with those levers to my little brother who is a novice rider, I replaced the levers with V-brake
    compatible ones.

    Optimally, I'd look for another pair of levers that are V-brake compatible before you bought this
    set. You can run a travel agent, or similar setup. Last time I saw travel agents, they were running
    $20 per, so there's your savings gone.

    Mike