XTR caliper removal

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Calz, May 21, 2003.

  1. Calz

    Calz Guest

    I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of the
    XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the rotor etc?

    cheers, Steve

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
    > the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
    > rotor etc?
    >
    > cheers, Steve

    I'm afraid your caliper is dead. However, you can send it to me and I'll send you a brand new XT
    caliper in return.

    Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They probably aren't too hard to align,
    and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage somewhere.

    Jon Bond

  3. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Calz said...

    > I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
    > the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
    > rotor etc?

    I align my Hayes discs by compressing the brake lever when the caliper is loose, then tightening the
    caliper bolts. I check alignment every couple of days in case they have slipped.

  4. Calz

    Calz Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:24:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
    >> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
    >> rotor etc?
    >send you a brand new XT caliper in return.
    >
    >Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They probably aren't too hard to
    >align, and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage somewhere.
    >
    >Jon Bond

    Found this tech article
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-8CM0B-EN.pdf It already
    has shims fitted so I'm guessing I can just take it off move it then bolt it back up with the same
    shims or is that a little short sighted?

    Steve

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Calz said...
    >
    > > I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
    > > the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
    > > rotor etc?
    >
    > I align my Hayes discs by compressing the brake lever when the caliper is loose, then tightening
    > the caliper bolts. I check alignment every couple of days in case they have slipped.

    Yes 'tis true. But he didn't ask about Hayes did he. ;^) Oh, and I wouldn't wear those bolts out
    either by rechecking every couple of days. Torque them to 110in/lbs and leave 'em alone. If you hear
    the disc rubbing, check alignment then.

    Mike

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:24:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
    > >> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
    > >> rotor etc?
    > >send you a brand new XT caliper in return.
    > >
    > >Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They
    probably
    > >aren't too hard to align, and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage
    > >somewhere.
    > >
    > >Jon Bond
    > >

    > Found this tech article

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI- 8CM0B-EN.pdf
    > It already has shims fitted so I'm guessing I can just take it off move it then bolt it back up
    > with the same shims or is that a little short sighted?
    >
    > Steve

    No, that should be fine.

    Mike

  7. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Michael Dart said...

    > Yes 'tis true. But he didn't ask about Hayes did he. ;^) Oh, and I wouldn't wear those bolts out
    > either by rechecking every couple of days. Torque them to 110in/lbs and leave 'em alone. If you
    > hear the disc rubbing, check alignment then.

    Ah, but I said I checked them every couple of days not adjust them that often. One of these days
    though I might take one of the bolts and go looking for some spares at a hardware store or whatever