XTR caliper removal

Calz

Guest
I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of the
XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the rotor etc?

cheers, Steve

"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
> rotor etc?
>
> cheers, Steve

I'm afraid your caliper is dead. However, you can send it to me and I'll send you a brand new XT
caliper in return.

Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They probably aren't too hard to align,
and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage somewhere.

Jon Bond

Calz said...

> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
> rotor etc?

I align my Hayes discs by compressing the brake lever when the caliper is loose, then tightening the
caliper bolts. I check alignment every couple of days in case they have slipped.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:24:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
>> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
>> rotor etc?
>send you a brand new XT caliper in return.
>
>Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They probably aren't too hard to
>align, and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage somewhere.
>
>Jon Bond

Found this tech article
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-8CM0B-EN.pdf It already
has shims fitted so I'm guessing I can just take it off move it then bolt it back up with the same
shims or is that a little short sighted?

Steve

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Calz said...
>
> > I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
> > the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
> > rotor etc?
>
> I align my Hayes discs by compressing the brake lever when the caliper is loose, then tightening
> the caliper bolts. I check alignment every couple of days in case they have slipped.

Yes 'tis true. But he didn't ask about Hayes did he. ;^) Oh, and I wouldn't wear those bolts out
either by rechecking every couple of days. Torque them to 110in/lbs and leave 'em alone. If you hear
the disc rubbing, check alignment then.

Mike

"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:24:24 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> I'd like to re-route the cable on my front caliper which would require the temporary removal of
> >> the XTR '03 caliper, by doing this is it going to throw the caliper out of alignment with the
> >> rotor etc?
> >send you a brand new XT caliper in return.
> >
> >Err, anyway, yeah, it'll probably knock it out of alignment. They
probably
> >aren't too hard to align, and I'm sure shimano (www.shimano.com) has directions on the webpage
> >somewhere.
> >
> >Jon Bond
> >

> Found this tech article

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI- 8CM0B-EN.pdf
> It already has shims fitted so I'm guessing I can just take it off move it then bolt it back up
> with the same shims or is that a little short sighted?
>
> Steve

No, that should be fine.

Mike

Michael Dart said...

> Yes 'tis true. But he didn't ask about Hayes did he. ;^) Oh, and I wouldn't wear those bolts out
> either by rechecking every couple of days. Torque them to 110in/lbs and leave 'em alone. If you
> hear the disc rubbing, check alignment then.

Ah, but I said I checked them every couple of days not adjust them that often. One of these days
though I might take one of the bolts and go looking for some spares at a hardware store or whatever