XTR Chainrings

pqken

Nov 12, 2004
What are the options with xtr chainrings? Just wore another out (actually two, mid. and out.). Is there anything out there that lasts longer and works well with the crank?...and doesn't cost so much?

pqken said:
What are the options with xtr chainrings? Just wore another out (actually two, mid. and out.). Is there anything out there that lasts longer and works well with the crank?...and doesn't cost so much?
WHiCH vintage of XTR chainrings are you referring to?

Are you referring to what I will refer to as the "classic" XTR rings (112BCD, if I recall) which were introduced in the late 90s & subsequently abandoned OR second generation of PROPRIETARY chainrings?!?

FWIW. If it is the "classic" XTR chainrings, then you can do one of two things:

1) scour eBay & buy as many used cranks as you can where the chainrings are in good condiiton -- that's what I did, mainly to get 34t middle rings!

2) change the spider to a "standard" 104BCD which normally comes on an XT/LX crank -- this is ALSO something I have done AND is the better, long term solution.

If you've got a Hollowtech-II XTR crank, you should be able to fit an older, XTR DOWNHILL chainring on AFTER you drill new bolt holes. The middle ring is standard 104BCD, and presumably the granny is whatever size (68BCD?) is used on the XT/LX/etc.

I don't know what size BCD the most recent XTR cranks use.

No one I know currently makes 112BCD XTR rings. Avitar USED TO make rings in that size.

alfeng said:
WHiCH vintage of XTR chainrings are you referring to?

Thanks for your reply.

I have the M960...as far as I can tell. Bought it about 4 years ago. Didn't know the replacement cost would be so high.
thxs, pqken

pqken said:
I have the M960...as far as I can tell. Bought it about 4 years ago. Didn't know the replacement cost would be so high.
The 112BCD Downhill XTR rings seem to show up on eBay with regularity ... you should be able to pick one up for less than $30 ... it is one of the few rings I know that you can readily drill to mount onto your XTR spider -- 44t is the smallest, AFAIK.

The OTHER option (also, readily available) is to buy a BMX ring which is already drilled for 110BCD & 130BCD. The "outer" portion of the ring is often a solid plate, so those can also be re-drilled to mount onto your 144BCD (?) XTR spider.

The BMX chainrings will weigh less than the XTR Downhill rings AND should be more readily available. NEITHER will be pinned-or-ramped and the tooth profile will not facilitate shifting (the latter probably isn't a 'big deal' ... and, you can always file the tips of a few of the teeth to match a Shimano ring's uneven teeth profile if you find the shifting balky ... if shifting is balky, try moving the front derailleur cage 1mm higher, first).

With either type of ring, you may have to file/grind away some excess material to get the ring to fit on the spider's shoulder ... use your current XTR ring as a template -- tape the OLD ring to the 'new' ring ... use some spray paint to over-cast the areas to be drilled/removed.

This is a very do-able DIY project AND a lot cheaper than buying one of the XTR rings that you need.

FWIW. Now that I know better, and because the spiders are no longer interchangeable (beginning around 2000, I guess), I would only recommend an XT crank and leave the XTR for the sponsored riders EVEN THOUGH the newest generation of XTR cranks supposedly uses standard size rings, now.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it, very helpful....pqken

FWIW. Now that I know better, and because the spiders are no longer interchangeable (beginning around 2000, I guess), I would only recommend an XT crank and leave the XTR for the sponsored riders EVEN THOUGH the newest generation of XTR cranks supposedly uses standard size rings, now.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, I live in Japan so it's really a trail and error process I have to go through here. Not having the option of picking someone's brain over the "small details" like this. I've been happy with the xtr, but...changing these rings every two years is nuts, especially at the cost. So on a practical note the xt would be fine, live and learn. Thanks again, pqken