XTR crankset/Dura Ace BB?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike S., May 15, 2003.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Hey, I have a 9sp XTR crankset and a pair of Dura Ace BBs. Where do I look to see if I can run the
    cranks on my existing BBs?

    It seems to me that the XTR BB is backwards compatible to road triples, so it'd figure that the D/A
    would be compatible with the XTR mtn cranks.

    Can I? If I can't, what's the difference between the two?

    Tags:

  2. Mike-<< Hey, I have a 9sp XTR crankset and a pair of Dura Ace BBs. Where do I look to see if I can
    run the cranks on my existing BBs?

    Splines are the same but overall length and left/right overhang for the two BBs(XTR/DA) are
    different. 'May' work, but may not-

    << It seems to me that the XTR BB is backwards compatible to road triples, so it'd figure that the
    D/A would be compatible with the XTR mtn cranks.

    XTR BB is generally too short for road triples...

  3. > Hey, I have a 9sp XTR crankset and a pair of Dura Ace BBs. Where do I look to see if I can run the
    > cranks on my existing BBs?

    The good news is that the splines are identical, so you can fit XTR cranks to a D-A BB. I do the
    opposite - run D-A cranks on an XTR BB with no problems.

    The bad news is that the lateral offsets on XTR and D-A BBs differ; this means you will probably get
    cranks that are asymmetrically placed left-to-right and a lousy chain-line (that difference works in
    my favour with my setup, but you would be doing the opposite).

    Anyhow, why not just try it and see how it looks?

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Peter Headland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey, I have a 9sp XTR crankset and a pair of Dura Ace BBs. Where do I
    look
    > > to see if I can run the cranks on my existing BBs?
    >
    > The good news is that the splines are identical, so you can fit XTR cranks to a D-A BB. I do the
    > opposite - run D-A cranks on an XTR BB with no problems.
    >
    > The bad news is that the lateral offsets on XTR and D-A BBs differ; this means you will probably
    > get cranks that are asymmetrically placed left-to-right and a lousy chain-line (that difference
    > works in my favour with my setup, but you would be doing the opposite).
    >
    > Anyhow, why not just try it and see how it looks?

    I heard that the XT level BBs didn't fit, then I heard from here that there's a guy running XTR on
    his road cranks, so I figured I'd ask before I bunged things up. Since the splines are the same, I
    figure that the difference of just a few mm (112.5mm v. 109.5mm) isn't going to really screw up the
    chainline...

    I haven't had a chance to go put things together. Once I do, I'll post results.

    Mike