XTR disc brake squeak

mtbchip

Guest
Maybe this has been covered, but help an old pal........

My rear brake squeaks only when I¹m NOT using it!

While I ride I get a constant squeaking. I can even eliminate the sound by
slightly depressing the brake handle while riding but not enough to engage
braking power.

Any ideas what to do ? <other take it to the LBS>

TIA

Mtbchip

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:32:07 -0700, mtbchip <[email protected]> wrote:

> Maybe this has been covered, but help an old pal........
>
> My rear brake squeaks only when I¹m NOT using it!
>
> While I ride I get a constant squeaking. I can even eliminate the sound
> by
> slightly depressing the brake handle while riding but not enough to
> engage
> braking power.
>
> Any ideas what to do ? <other take it to the LBS>
>
> TIA
>
> Mtbchip

I've never worked on the XTR's, but here's a few ideas after looking at
the exploded view
<http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/BR-M965-F_ST-M965.pdf>

1) Make sure the rotor lock ring is tighten properly and the washer is
installed.

2) Verify that the caliper is spaced/shimmed, so you have a free running
rotor all around.

3) If 1 & 2 are good, maybe you need your brake posts faced?

More references if you don't already have them:
<http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-8CM0B-EN.pdf>

<http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/manual/Disc%20brake%20assembly%20manual.pdf>
--
Slacker

mtbchip said...

> Maybe this has been covered, but help an old pal........
>
> My rear brake squeaks only when I¹m NOT using it!
>
> While I ride I get a constant squeaking. I can even eliminate the sound by
> slightly depressing the brake handle while riding but not enough to engage
> braking power.
>
> Any ideas what to do ? <other take it to the LBS>
>
> TIA
>
> Mtbchip

I sometimes get this with my Avid mechanicals too. I can't say for sure
what causes it, but obviously something is rubbing. The Avids have all
the adjustments anyone could ever want to get the pads parallel and the
correct distance from the rotors, and when I take the pads out, clean
the dust from the calipers and reset everything, it goes away. When mine
does it, the whiny metallic sound leads me to believe it has something
to do with that thin retainer clip that holds the pads. Maybe removing
the pads, cleaning everything up and reinstalling carefully is all you
need to do.

"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mtbchip said...
>
> > Maybe this has been covered, but help an old pal........
> >
> > My rear brake squeaks only when I¹m NOT using it!
> >
> > While I ride I get a constant squeaking. I can even eliminate the sound

by
> > slightly depressing the brake handle while riding but not enough to

engage
> > braking power.

><Snip>

Are you riding just the disc? or the whole XTR Wheel? as the XTR wheels have
a known and admited fault by shimano...

in article 1094479132.838360@ftpsrv1, Charlie Fox at
[email protected]MOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY wrote on 9/6/04
6:58 AM:

> Are you riding just the disc? or the whole XTR Wheel? as the XTR wheels have
> a known and admited fault by shimano...

Disc only on Mavic wheels, '04 SC Blur.........ALL XTR

in article BD612847.10512%[email protected], mtbchip at [email protected] wrote
on 9/5/04 8:32 PM:

> Maybe this has been covered, but help an old pal........
>
> My rear brake squeaks only when I¹m NOT using it!
>
> While I ride I get a constant squeaking. I can even eliminate the sound by
> slightly depressing the brake handle while riding but not enough to engage
> braking power.
>
> Any ideas what to do ? <other take it to the LBS>
>
> TIA
>
> Mtbchip

New pads. Just bought news ones and swapped out the old. VERY EASY. I¹ll
take a little whirl tomorrow morning and see how it turned out. The old
ones were the first set since buying the bike last December. The pads were
pretty thin, especially the rear. That is where the noise was coming from,
so I suspect having pads pert-near flat could be where the constant squeal
was from.

Chip