XTR Disc brakes

Voodoo

Guest
Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.

"voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.

they works for me. nice modulation, great stopping power, nice looks, small. as for now, that would
be some 2500 km I am happy. only thing I read against them is that they can overheat and that pads
are gone quickly. I am not heavy, less that 60 kg, but I ride quite a lot and was a frequent V-break
pad customer, but as for now I really have nothing bad to say. I have both resin compound pads.

that much,

d'amir

"wanguard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.
>
> they works for me. nice modulation, great stopping power, nice looks,
small.
> as for now, that would be some 2500 km I am happy. only thing I read against them is that they can
> overheat and that pads are gone quickly. I am not heavy, less that 60 kg, but I ride quite a lot
> and was a frequent V-break pad customer, but as for now I really have nothing bad to say. I have
> both resin compound pads.
>
> that much,

Thanks! I ride at about 85 kg, but maybe the overheating, and pad wear can be overcome with
aftermarket parts when it comes time to replace the worn out originals. I'm not exactly a blazing
fast rider, so maybe it might not be such a problem for me. :)

"voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.

You're talking about light cross-country bikes in another thread, and as I can't picture LA having a
lot of crazy downhills, I'm not sure I'd recommend any sort of disc to you...I still feel good v's
are better for the hardtail/short-travel crowd. They're lighter (especially when you consider the
added hub weight and the fluid, in the case of hydraulics), easier to futz with on the side of a
trail, and mostly, less expensive.

That being said, if you do go discs, go Avid mechanical 6"...they're cheap, plenty powerful, and
smooth as anything else. If you are considering XTR note you will need '03 Shimano disc hubs as
Shimano has a new proprietary splined rotor mount. Also, if you are considering XTR then the
price benefit of Avid mechs is probably not of concern to you. In that case, go with Avid Juicy
Sevens (drool).

Chris (prefers Avid Ultimate V's to any disc he's ridden)

> That being said, if you do go discs, go Avid mechanical 6"...they're
cheap,
> plenty powerful, and smooth as anything else. If you are considering XTR note you will need '03
> Shimano disc hubs as Shimano has a new proprietary splined rotor mount.
>
> Chris

Agreed with all your advice, Chris. But if he wants the XTR caliper without the XTR disc hubs w/
spline interface, he can always use a standard XT 6 bolt rotor with any standard disc hub, and it
will work fine with the XTR caliper.

-John Morgan

Go the Mechanicals. Less farkin about same POwer. with good brake lines no Mushy sponge feel.

JUST HARDCORE MODULATION BABY!

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NcIYa.65223$zy.38087@fed1read06...
> > That being said, if you do go discs, go Avid mechanical 6"...they're
> cheap,
> > plenty powerful, and smooth as anything else. If you are considering
XTR
> > note you will need '03 Shimano disc hubs as Shimano has a new
proprietary
> > splined rotor mount.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Agreed with all your advice, Chris. But if he wants the XTR caliper
without
> the XTR disc hubs w/ spline interface, he can always use a standard XT 6 bolt rotor with any
> standard disc hub, and it will work fine with the XTR caliper.
>
> -John Morgan

yeap, I use XT rotor which fit all standard hubs.

as for the leveler, XT should be OK, as I recall.

d'

> "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.
> >

> You're talking about light cross-country bikes in another thread, and as I can't picture LA having
> a lot of crazy downhills, I'm not sure I'd
recommend
> any sort of disc to you...I still feel good v's are better for the hardtail/short-travel crowd.
> They're lighter (especially when you
consider
> the added hub weight and the fluid, in the case of hydraulics), easier to futz with on the side of
> a trail, and mostly, less expensive.

Believe it or not, there are some crazy "short" downhills here. Don't get me wrong though, I loved
my v's. In fact I did not have my XTR's even close to being cranked up. My thinking with the desc is
this is Louisiana, and sooner or later (more often sooner), water and/or mud will end up on the
wheels. I've never had consistant braking with wet muddy wheels, but that's not the main reason why.
We have some abrasive, sandy soils here. Red clay is the worst. In no time at all, your nice looking
CD's have a really shiny groove starting to show. At the end of a long hard season of riding, it's
time to replace the rims on what would otherwise be a perfectly good wheelset. The disc should
eliminate this. Weight should not be much of an issue either. My last bike weighed 23-1/2 lbs with a
4-1/2 lb frame, and a Judy XC fork. My new frame, and fork combo will be about a pound lighter.

> That being said, if you do go discs, go Avid mechanical 6"...they're
cheap,
> plenty powerful, and smooth as anything else. If you are considering XTR note you will need '03
> Shimano disc hubs as Shimano has a new proprietary splined rotor mount. Also, if you are
> considering XTR then the price benefit of Avid mechs is probably not of concern to you. In that
> case, go with Avid Juicy Sevens (drool).

Shimano offers an XTR bolt on rotor with the RT-75, which is probably just XT in XTR packaging. I'm
going to take a look at those juicy Avids. One of the other selling points to the Shimano is that
they use mineral oil. If the other use it as well, they have my undivided attention, cuz I don't
want brake fluid anywhere near my frame's finish. :)

I know ya hate Shimano, but they do have some good stuff. Anyway, I'm already commited to going
with disc.

> voodoo wrote:
> > Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.
>
> There are better brakes for the money, and ones that use an ISO standard. Have a look at Hope,
> Hayes and Avid.

I will, thanks.

"wanguard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NcIYa.65223$zy.38087@fed1read06...
> > > That being said, if you do go discs, go Avid mechanical 6"...they're
> > cheap,
> > > plenty powerful, and smooth as anything else. If you are considering
> XTR
> > > note you will need '03 Shimano disc hubs as Shimano has a new
> proprietary
> > > splined rotor mount.
> > >
> > > Chris
> >
> > Agreed with all your advice, Chris. But if he wants the XTR caliper
> without
> > the XTR disc hubs w/ spline interface, he can always use a standard XT 6 bolt rotor with any
> > standard disc hub, and it will work fine with the
XTR
> > caliper.
> >
> > -John Morgan
>
> yeap, I use XT rotor which fit all standard hubs.
>
> as for the leveler, XT should be OK, as I recall.

I do like the fact that you can use XT levers with the XTR. The damn XTR shifter/lever combo is damn
near $400!! Shimano does not offer "just" an XTR disc lever.

> voodoo wrote:
> > Has anyone here used them? Any likes or dislikes? I'm still undecided on what kind to go with.
>
> There are better brakes for the money, and ones that use an ISO standard. Have a look at Hope,
> Hayes and Avid.

Strikes me that if you can stop it squealing, the Hope mini is all the disc brake you'll ever need.

Andy Chequer nice levers too.

> shifter/lever combo is damn near $400!! Shimano does not offer "just" an
XTR
> disc lever.

oooh yea! far to expensive, but if you like idea of changing gears with brake leveler, next year XT
are on the way, and that should be I hope a bit reasonably priced. And in addition XT has a proper
gear indication, while XTR has something so useless that I can't figure how they allowed that to be.

d'

"wanguard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > shifter/lever combo is damn near $400!! Shimano does not offer "just" an
> XTR
> > disc lever.
> >

> oooh yea! far to expensive, but if you like idea of changing gears with brake leveler, next year
> XT are on the way, and that should be I hope a
bit
> reasonably priced. And in addition XT has a proper gear indication, while XTR has something so
> useless that I can't figure how they allowed that to be.

To be honest, I've never cared for the idea of the combo. You are right about the XTR shifters. I
had some, and it was a guessing game as to which cog I was using. I may just get seperate XT levers,
and shifters.

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Strikes me that if you can stop it squealing, the Hope mini is all the
disc
> brake you'll ever need.

And how exatcly do you do that?-) Mine still squeal like hell when wet, I've actually ended up
considering Hayes or something to replace them...

Juho

Juho Huttunen wrote:

>>Strikes me that if you can stop it squealing, the Hope mini is all the
>
> disc
>
>>brake you'll ever need.
>

> And how exatcly do you do that?-) Mine still squeal like hell when wet, I've actually ended up
> considering Hayes or something to replace them...

The problem might be caused by slightly out-of-alignment ISO mounts. Have a look at Hope's facing
tool (or go to a bike shop that has one): http://www.hopetechnology.com/products/products_index.htm