XTR FC-M952-DH chainline and q

James Thomson

Guest
Reputed failings of the obsolescent Octalink interface aside, I'm looking
for straightforward quantitative answers to the following questions:

What's the chainline of an XTR 952 single chainring downhill crank?

How is this chainline affected if a road (Dura Ace or Ultegra 109mm) bottom
bracket is used?

What's the q-factor (tread) of a pair of XTR 952 cranks installed on an
XTR 112mm bottom bracket?

Thanks,

James Thomson

---

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Reputed failings of the obsolescent Octalink interface aside, I'm looking
> for straightforward quantitative answers to the following questions:
>
> What's the chainline of an XTR 952 single chainring downhill crank?

46,47.5 or 50mm

> How is this chainline affected if a road (Dura Ace or Ultegra 109mm)

bottom
> bracket is used?

It drops to 46mm

> What's the q-factor (tread) of a pair of XTR 952 cranks installed on an
> XTR 112mm bottom bracket?

Not great compared to a road dbl crankset, but whatcha gonna do?

> Thanks,
>
> James Thomson

Dave

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:07:16 +0100, "James Thomson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Reputed failings of the obsolescent Octalink interface aside, I'm looking
>for straightforward quantitative answers to the following questions:
>
>What's the chainline of an XTR 952 single chainring downhill crank?
>
>How is this chainline affected if a road (Dura Ace or Ultegra 109mm) bottom
>bracket is used?
>
>What's the q-factor (tread) of a pair of XTR 952 cranks installed on an
>XTR 112mm bottom bracket?
>
>Thanks,
>
>James Thomson

Searching http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/ for FC-M952-DH turns
up your crank, but the only service instructions (where the spindle
length and chain line are defined) are for FC-M952-4 Arm and FC-M952-5
Arm cranks.

Good luck!